ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester Model 42 Bolt Question
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

Greetings,
Rarely do I disassemble the S/R FULL 42 I've had now for a year or two, but when I do, more often then not, the bolt will slide backwards into the receiver. The remedy for that is rapping the face of the receiver on the padded carpet in my office to bring the bolt forward. If it is a bolt issue, which part of the bolt needs attention?

Post subject: Re: Winchester Model 42 Bolt Question
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

Have you had the side plate off ? If so check the correct installation of number 8 spring on this schematic https://www.midwestgunworks.com/winches ... parts.html

Bobcat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:46 am 
Diamond Grade

Mike, What Bobcat said. Here's a detailed video on 42 disassembly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQDnG5FNfXI Helped me develop the courage to dive in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

The last time I took a sideplate off of a 42 I buggered the screw and scratched the bluing around the hole. Recently I bought a bit set from Brownell's and it's careful use should probably decrease the chances of a similar goof. I'll make an exploratory attempt this weekend and hope that I don't make a bearable situation worse. Many thanks to both of you for the help.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:56 pm 
Crown Grade

"....don't make a bearable situation worse" Is this one of those discretion is the better part of valor times? Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Either I'll learn by doing or learn to never attempt it again.............!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:50 am 
Diamond Grade

Don't feel bad, Mike. I did the same to a prewar skeet. That's how most of us end up with proper driver sets.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have watched videos of Jack Rowe, the famous English gunsmith removing stubborn screws. First of all he made all of his screwdrivers to fit. Second, he secured the gun in a vise with lead covered jaws and then he applied a hell of a lot of downward pressure on the screw before he turned it out.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith