ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester Super X shell catcher
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a Winchester Super X shell catcher that mounts to the receiver with sticky tape. I’m hesitant to stick the thing to the receiver for fear of ending up with the receiver finish being marred if I remove it at some later date. It’s brand new (though many years old) and it’s the type with the moveable spring.

On the other hand, folks I shoot trap with on occasion don’t much care to have my ejected hulls flying their way and bouncing off their high dollar trap guns so I need to find a solution to my flying hulls. If anyone has used one of these shell catchers and removed it was the receiver finish (bluing) affected ?

Is there another shell catcher type similar to the clip on/removable style I have for my Remington 1100 ? If so, where to obtain one ? Lastly, I think I have seen the receiver drilled and a wire installed that deflects the ejected shell downward. I would like to keep from doing that as I would prefer to capture the hull rather than have it kick out and then have to pick it up - when the club where I may be shooting allows hull retrieval.

Thanks in advance

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Winchester Super X shell catcher
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:55 pm 
Crown Grade

I use a rubber band as a shell catcher when I shoot trap with my SX1. Put it around the receiver just in front of the bolt handle. The hull will either land at your feet or stay in the ejection port.

BTW, your Super X1 throws the hulls a bit forward. Your spent hulls will land in front of the station to your right. Little chance of bonking your mate’s guns in my experience.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:45 am 
Presentation Grade

winmod21 wrote:

BTW, your Super X1 throws the hulls a bit forward. Your spent hulls will land in front of the station to your right. Little chance of bonking your mate’s guns in my experience.

Right - not at all like pelting them with empties from the Model 50.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:51 am 
Presentation Grade

winmod21 wrote:
I use a rubber band as a shell catcher when I shoot trap with my SX1. Put it around the receiver just in front of the bolt handle. The hull will either land at your feet or stay in the ejection port.

My 3 SX1's throw the shells to the right out front and no way will they hit another shooter or his gun. I use a rubber band so I don't have to pick up hulls.

The shell catcher you mention has been in use for many years on SA guns, I've never seen or heard of damage being caused from use.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:06 am 
Field Grade

If your shooting singles trap just remove the piston ring and the o-ring. One of two things will happen, the bolt will not cycle back far enough to eject the shell or if it does, it will not eject the shell very far. Either way your problem is solved and you save battering the buffer.