ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SX1 cycling light loads - cause for concern?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:50 am 
Presentation Grade

I went out to shoot skeet yesterday and when I got there the only shells I had in my bag were 7/8s @1200 loads I usually shoot in the SxS or pump. But I was there and figured if I had to I'd shoot singles.

As it turned out, the SX1 cycled 50/50 without a hiccup. On the one hand, that's great news - out of a 9.5lb gun it was almost recoil-free.

On the other, am I doing any harm when I take it out and put 1-1/8 @1200 loads through it for sporting clays? What would be the signs? A battered bolt buffer?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: SX1 cycling light loads - cause for concern?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

Win,

No, you are not hurting the gun shooting heavy or fast loads.
However, blowing the bolt back faster than with light loads it is prudent to keep an eye on the buffer and check the length of the action spring once in a while and if it has sacked to less than 27" replace it.

CT

Post subject: Re: SX1 cycling light loads - cause for concern?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:32 pm 
Field Grade

For the heavier load try taking the piston ring and seal out of the gun. It may still cycle the loads reliably just not eject them as far and it will save your bolt buffer. I have a skeet SX1 that runs like this.

Other SX1s will not cycle at all with the piston removed. When shooting singles trap I do this to keep from having to pick up shells. I just pull the bolt back and grab the empty.