ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Help With Winchester 1897 Takedown Adjustment
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:01 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi. I’m new to this forum. I’ve been into shotguns for a while but haven’t owned many yet, only my 110 year old 1897. Please inform me if there’s something I’m doing wrong (if I need some sort of an approval or introduction post or anything). Thanks!

I picked up a 1911 Winchester 1897 SN 502XXX some time ago and everything works well on it. I’ve already been in and out of it a number of times and stripped it fully. I understand how it works and have already worked out a couple issues fairly easily on it. I have also run about 100 rounds since my purchase.

My current issue is the takedown tightness. I know how it works and how to adjust it, but the adjustment ring is fully maxed out and the barrel and magazine tube assembly have a small amount of wiggle side to side, as well as up and down once threaded into place and ready to be used. I couldn’t find information that I fully trusted or had concrete results (everywhere I looked said something totally different such as using shims or not using shims, replacement parts, filing extra notches or not filing extra notches). What I need to know is what solution is going to be the best? I’m thinking replacing the part is going to yield the best results, but I don’t know what parts to get or how to go about it. I have photos of the current part I’m using if needed.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Need Help With Winchester 1897 Takedown Adjustment
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:46 am 
Diamond Grade

Here is the complete detailed procedure, personally I'd go with a shim. http://www.nulineguns.com/part_part_2046_3_31_42.php

Good luck and welcome aboard !
Bobcat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:18 am 
Utility Grade

How would I go about using a shim?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:17 am 
Diamond Grade

The shim goes between the end of the barrel and the chamber ring in the receiver effectively making the barrel .005 longer. http://www.bullcreekarms.com/index.php? ... duct_id=71 then you can start over with the adjustment sleeve. The wear comes from the friction of repeatedly taking the gun down and re assembling it ,not from operating the slide or firing it.

Bobcat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:09 pm 
Utility Grade

So, when it goes together, the ring sits on top of the chamber ring loose, and then you put the front half onto it?

Apologies, I’ve never seen something like this before and I’d like as many details as possible before making a purchase. Your help is appreciated so far. I’d prefer to not have to spend $200 USD on a set of 9 adjustment rings and also have to possibly file down my chamber or my receiver!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

Yes just align it with the chamber ring and re install the barrel assembly with the adjustment sleeve back to new setting. Adjust as required. It would be nice to restore it with a new sleeve ,but since sleeves are not marked or marked incorrectly ,your only option is to start with a drawer full of sleeves and when you get close break out the file.

Bobcat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:19 pm 
Utility Grade

Okay, that sounds good, thank you Bobcat.

Will adding the shim produce excess wear on the barrel, the chamber ring, or the shim itself? Being that they come in a pack of 3, my mind tells me that they may wear out.

Also, will this shim alter the headspace of the shotgun and change how it fires?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

Shot shells headspace from the rim to the bolt face so no change from lengthening the chamber by 5 thou. Can you wear out a shim ? possible I guess depends on how many times you twist the barrel on and off. I think they send 3 in case you need more than .005 to tighten up the gun.

Bobcat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you so much for your help, Bobcat.

I’ve ordered a pack of 3 shims, hopefully they arrive in Canada just fine. I hope they work too, that would make me very happy!

I’ll return to this post if I have any other questions or problems!