ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sx1 return spring follower pin question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:21 am 
Utility Grade

I searched and couldn't find a solid answer. I'm replacing the follower because it is out of round. Is there a trick to getting this pin back in? I ordered a new pin and I can't get the new or old pin to go in. I'm guessing some brute force to get it down and compressed but I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks. Thanks

Post subject: Re: sx1 return spring follower pin question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:25 am 
Presentation Grade

Grind a small taper onto one side of the roll pin to get it started into the follower and tap it home with a small ball pin hammer.

CT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:07 am 
Presentation Grade

I had a problem with the follower I bought from Mid West gun, no way you could tap the pin in without damaging the spring tube. I used a bench vise and pressed the pin in.

This is done with the follower out of spring tube. Vise with piece of wood or thick leather on one side so you won't damage the follower, press the pin in then tap it back out. I did this twice (YMMV) before I could tap the pin in with the follower installed in the spring tube.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:08 am 
Presentation Grade

Rack-N-Roy wrote:
I had a problem with the follower I bought from Mid West gun, no way you could tap the pin in without damaging the spring tube. I used a bench vise and pressed the pin in.

This is done with the follower out of spring tube. Vise with piece of wood or thick leather on one side so you won't damage the follower, press the pin in then tap it back out. I did this twice (YMMV) before I could tap the pin in with the follower installed in the spring tube.

This sounds like the hole in the follower is under size.
Check the hole size in the new follower as compared to the original. If undersize enlarge it to the correct diameter.
The pin is a roll pin that should compress when tapped home without excessive force.

CT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:18 pm 
Utility Grade

I did take the new pin to the grinder and it still didn’t fit. I got distracted and had to pack it up before trying the new pin in the old follower. I’ll dig it back out tonight and report back.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:46 pm 
Utility Grade

So that was it. The hole in the follower was a bit smaller than the old follower. A 1/8th bit fit perfectly in the old one, but wouldn’t fit the new one. I was able to open it up and the pin went in. I may follow up with Midwest on this and see what they say. Thanks for all of the help. One of these days I’ll actually get to shoot it!