ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeking input from Ultra Light fans (or haters)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:54 am 
Field Grade

An old old elbow injury appears to be catching up with me - most noticeably when I carry during long days of upland hunting. I have lighter weight guns in the sub-gauges (Ithaca, Franchi), but I'm considering the Ultra Light 12 gauge for pheasant and maybe chukar hunting.

I have read many online reviews and the most common negative comments are harsh recoil and too light/whippy causing over-swing on targets. Frankly, haven't seen many "I love this gun" comments.

I'm looking insight/advice from those with experience with this gun - good, bad or otherwise.

Should mention that I use an M2 for waterfowl and love it for this application, but my elbow is not appreciating it so much during upland hunts. Also, never been recoil sensitive to any gun, but maybe this gun is in a league all it's own?

Appreciate your help with this!

Post subject: Re: Seeking input from Ultra Light fans (or haters)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

what about a sling for the m2?

all my duck guns have had slings and i'm tempted to put some on bird guns as our new pup is a pointer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:10 pm 
Field Grade

I use a sling for waterfowling since I'm in and around water a lot. I'm guessing you know why I never set up or take down deeks without the gun slung on my shoulder - ha ha!

For slightly different reasons, I prefer to keep the gun unslinged position while hunting upland. Ya just never know! I do keep a lightweight sling on the gun while chukar hunting since I'm in the cliffs and talus.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

sure enough, when ducking the gun never leaves my side. seems like the moment you drop waders to take a leak or walk out to adjust a decoy birds show up.

this will be my first season doing upland with my own dog and unsure about the sling idea. seems like it would be safer and easier with one but i guess missing out on a bumped bird would suck pretty bad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

i have the m2 and recently shouldered the 20ga UL. Really like the ramped rib and light weight. i think it's a great option.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:02 am 
Limited Edition

I only use them for upland so I shoot 2 3/4. Never shot a 3" out of them. For upland of course they're carried a lot and shot occasionally and for this recoil is not an issue IMO. Started with a 20 and liked it so much got a 12. It is the one I grab if walking and carrying all day. Tore my left bicep (forearm holding side) so I appreciate the light weight even more if I have to hold the gun for very long (walking). If I used one for ducks with heavy loads I think it would be okay recoil wise depending on how many shots in a day. Probably would not want to shoot it with heavy loads if I was going to shoot a lot and I usually don't mind a bit of recoil. Overall I would highly recommend one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:49 am 
Field Grade

Thanks to you both for taking the time to provide suggestions to my questions!

Hope to hear more from folks that have any experience with the Ultra Light.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:52 am 
Diamond Grade

I had an UL 12 ga and sold it. That was a stupid mistake. Great gun in all respects, for hunting. If I was looking for a clays gun, not so much, but for the dozen or two daily shots when hunting, it’s a real nice gun.
My brother has a safe full of shotguns, including a 12 UL. That gun gets used by far the most.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:33 am 
Limited Edition

My pheasant group bought two UL 12ga when they first came out. A hi-power load (3-3/4 dram 1-1/4) was the upper end of comfortable shooting. The traditional montefeltro prove to be a better pheasant choice, weight wise and 4rd magazine capacity. The M2 remains popular with our younger guys.
You might consider a new model just released; the Ethos synthetic BEST model blends the Ethos receiver and profile with the M2 comfort tech stock, weighing in at 6.6 lbs in 26”. BEST stands for a new weatherproof finish on the metal, giving a matte black finish. I’ve just taken ownership of one, but have not shot it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:14 pm 
Field Grade

Just checked back in on this. I haven't pulled the trigger yet - so to speak - but want to thank all for the insights you have provided. Much obliged!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:21 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

PNWIthacaJunkie wrote:
An old old elbow injury appears to be catching up with me - most noticeably when I carry during long days of upland hunting. I have lighter weight guns in the sub-gauges (Ithaca, Franchi), but I'm considering the Ultra Light 12 gauge for pheasant and maybe chukar hunting.

Free advice: stick with a 20 gauge!!! My 6 lb.-on-the-nose M2 is very, very enjoyable to carry, if you want a Benelli. There are other options as well (6-1/4 lb. B-80) other 6-1/4 lb. gas 20s if recoil is a factor for you, beyond just the light weight.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:56 pm 
Crown Grade

I love my BUL! I use it more than any thing else for upland birds. Like you, recoil has yet to become an issue for me.

Having said that, the new Montefeltro Silver in 20ga, and the new Browning Sweet 16 will be getting some playing time this year. I don't think a 16ga or 20ga when loaded properly, are much of a handicap in this game. The 20ga Monte and Sweet 16 are both lighter than my BUL. Food for thought.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:47 pm 
Field Grade

Well, thanks for a few more points of consideration!

With a couple of Ithaca Model 37s in 20 and 16 gauge and a Franchi Affinity 20, I may have everything I need already and am perhaps just trying to justify filling an open space in the safe.

I like the idea of a wood gun for upland and a little unsure about my ability to effectively deal with chukar and pheasants (which are a bit new to me) with the pump guns. So, was coming at this with the notion of covering a vacancy in 12 gauge with a nice lightweight wood gun that is easy on the elbow and quick with follow up shots since #1 seems to often just warm the barrel.

As previously stated, your expertise and friendly advice are most appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:54 pm 
Crown Grade

As far as chukar go... There is no equal to a BUL!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:38 am 
Limited Edition

PNWIthacaJunkie wrote:
I have read many online reviews and the most common negative comments are harsh recoil and too light/whippy causing over-swing on targets. Frankly, haven't seen many "I love this gun" comments.

I love mine, and you'd have to dig back a decade or so on here but quite a few others love theirs. When they first came out many on Upland Journal loved theirs too. Funny how after a few years many go onto the next latest bestest thing though.

I'm in a similar situation with degenerative arthritis setting into my joints. My 37's are hard to operate some days now although some days are better than others. One of the first thing I did with the BUL is put a KickEZZ pad on it. Have 2 pads for it one for early season and another for winter\late season clothing.

I can run 7/8 oz. loads through it on clays all day long. For phez I use 1 1/4 oz #5 at ~1200 fps in South Dakota. Recoil has never been an issue with it hunting even though I am recoil sensitive, but if I am shooting more than 5 or 6 shots a day hunting phez I am having a crappy day shooting.

I have the 26" bbl. and to me handles similar to my Ithaca 37's. Jugchoke had sang the praises of the screw in polychoke for it and for awhile I did that too. Only used it a couple of times it adds a lot of weight out front.

But not sure where it is around here anymore. I prefer the 16 for ruff with the poly on the end of the BUL it is a lot of gun in the grouse woods. Tried a Beretta 687 UL for a few years in SD but it was just too neutral. And the safety is in the wrong place LOL. In SD I use either my Ithaca 37 12 ga. UL or the BUL they handle almost identically to me.

Not a fan of the 16 for wild roosters in the Dakotas but is all I use for ruff grouse. Mainly one of my 26" IC pre 55 37's in 16 ga.

Picked up a new A5 Sweet 16 couple of years ago and think of it as my Benelli Ultralight 16 ga. although the receiver is LONG on them. Had Briley cut the barrel down to 23" and now it is as long as my BUL 12 ga.

That stupid Browning Sweet 16 steep radius grip hurts my wrist for carrying all day in the grouse woods so had Mark Larson shape the grip down to a more relaxed grip for carry.

All my hunting guns weigh within a couple of ounces either way of 6 pounds, handle pretty the same, and I shoot them well. And the saftey is the correct location on all of them LOL. Did pick up a FAIR Iside 16 ga. double trigger SxS this summer that is the exception to the safety location but I shoot it well. Will find out in less than 8 weeks how I do with it on live birds when grouse season opens.

Don't think you would go wrong with the 12 ga. BUL at least in my experience. Especially if you are used to a 37.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:28 am 
Field Grade

These comprehensive and thoughtful commments are much appreciated! Keeping my eyes peeled for a lightly used BUL 12 gauge with a 26" barrel.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:35 pm 
Field Grade

I have a 12ga with a 24" barrel. Have had it for around 15 years (can't exactly remember when I acquired it) and it has made every opening weekend for SD pheasants since I purchased it. It is light, has shims for adjusting the drop and cast (which I have done with great success!!). The only rounds I've found to be uncomfortable were a 1 1/2oz load of 4's at 1200fps that I loaded for pheasants one year. Now I stick to 1 1/4oz 5's in lead or 4's in bismuth and load both at or under 1330fps. I've even used it once for waterfowl when a buddies gun broke down and I loaned him my waterfowl gun, and BUL was the only other gun I had on the trip. 50-100 rounds at clay games with 1oz loads are not a problem for me. YMMV.