ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cleaning semi auto benelli
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

My SBEII has always been flawless. But has started to not chamber a shell after firing, with fairly light light loads. In the past it’s worked fine with these same loads.
When cleaning a Benelli SBI or other Benelli semi auto, do you leave the action dry, or do you oil it, or …….

Post subject: Re: Cleaning semi auto benelli
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

https://youtu.be/AhBHxuaXlZA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:41 am 
Crown Grade

Interesting video in that they do put a lot of oil in trigger assembly and magazine tube spring area. Much more than I would have expected. Good video for any inertia gun owner.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:50 am 
Diamond Grade

Thanks 40shotguns

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:41 am 
Diamond Grade

oyeme wrote:
Interesting video in that they do put a lot of oil in trigger assembly and magazine tube spring area. Much more than I would have expected.

Also interesting was that no lube at all was applied to the moving parts of the bolt.

Another, more thorough, pair of videos I've seen on cleaning/lubing the Benellis shows the bolt being disassembled and lightly lubed. See below...

Also from Benelli:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M43JWDdR7Ic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JShmnQOlEs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

if this does not work, it's possible the recoil spring is getting a little weak. A replacement Wolf spring is < 20 and it's not too difficult to replace. Once again, utube is your friend and will show you what to do.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:27 am 
Tournament Grade

desmobob wrote:
oyeme wrote:
Interesting video in that they do put a lot of oil in trigger assembly and magazine tube spring area. Much more than I would have expected.

Also interesting was that no lube at all was applied to the moving parts of the bolt.

Another, more thorough, pair of videos I've seen on cleaning/lubing the Benellis shows the bolt being disassembled and lightly lubed. See below...

Also from Benelli:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M43JWDdR7Ic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JShmnQOlEs

Yeah....I kept waiting for them to lube the bolt head around the cam.... Never happened....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:25 am 
Limited Edition

40Shotguns wrote:
https://youtu.be/AhBHxuaXlZA

I just spray all those areas with G96 instead of spot oiling like the video shows on my Montefeltro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:21 am 
Crown Grade

Work over the recoil spring in the butt. Use a dowel or plunger to push it back, spray in a cleaner degreaser and cycle it a bunch with plunger. Leave dry and then light lube by again pushing back on recoil spring to get lube into the tube. If you still have issues time for a replacement Wolff spring and super cleaning the inside of tube in case of any rust or corrosion.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:20 am 
Tournament Grade

Patently Obvious wrote:
Work over the recoil spring in the butt. Use a dowel or plunger to push it back, spray in a cleaner degreaser and cycle it a bunch with plunger. Leave dry and then light lube by again pushing back on recoil spring to get lube into the tube. If you still have issues time for a replacement Wolff spring and super cleaning the inside of tube in case of any rust or corrosion.
. What lube do you suggest? is there a you-tube that explains the process?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:39 am 
Crown Grade

There are YouTube videos for changing the recoil spring you can watch but that may require a heat gun to break the lock tight free. For lube hornady one shot will lube and prevent rust. It evaporates and leaves a dry lube that will be good in cold weather and not collect grime.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:50 am 
Diamond Grade

Patently Obvious wrote:
There are YouTube videos for changing the recoil spring you can watch but that may require a heat gun to break the lock tight free. For lube hornady one shot will lube and prevent rust. It evaporates and leaves a dry lube that will be good in cold weather and not collect grime.

+1

That's a favorite gun cleaning/maintenance product of mine, for sure.

I did have trouble with an AL390 duck gun that had experienced a submergence in the marsh (remember kids, when using a tandem canoe, the paddler in the rear should get in last and get out first). It had developed rust on the recoil spring and in the tube from my lack of maintenance and the dunking. Also, with a heavily-used duck gun, bits of cattail fluff, duckweed, feathers, etc. could possibly find their way back into the tube from the receiver and it doesn't hurt to give it a good flushing out and re-lubing.

I replaced it with a nice stainless steel upgrade and remembered to lube it properly. That much-abused shotgun is still running perfectly today.

Anyway, I used a propane torch to break loose the factory thread-locker, since I knew I was going to replace the whole assembly. A heat gun would be a better choice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:36 am 
Crown Grade

Wait, what? Benelli guns need to be cleaned. Who knew? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:01 am 
Diamond Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
Wait, what? Benelli guns need to be cleaned. Who knew? :mrgreen:

Once every third season, whether they need it or not!

:wink: