ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SBE III report, mine shoots fine
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

all this talk of Benelli SBE III;s shooting high. I guess I got the only one which doesn't. Patterned it today. 30 yards, full choke, 3 shots at each target. Winchester AA Super Sport 3-1/18- 8's and Clever Mirage lite #8's

Post subject: Re: SBE III report, mine shoots fine
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:07 am 
Presentation Grade

Looks pretty good to me......

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Must be out of spec... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:40 am 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
Must be out of spec... :lol:

Benelli will fix it for you! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:28 pm 
Limited Edition

Not a Benelli story exactly but along the same lines with the trouble the SBE has had.
Years ago I bought a 3” Browning A5, the original real A5 from a dealer. Took it home and it shot over 2 feet high at 40 yards. I sent it back to Browning, they said “in spec” and sent it back. So I called and got angry so they said send it to us, I did, and it came back in spec. So then a prominent gunsmith told me to put a bigger bead on it and use a six o’clock hold, hogwash. Id have to have two clocks and shoot the bottom one. So I met a gunsmith I didn’t know well and mentioned it to him. He said come on by we will get it right. We put the barrel in a vice and using a press and scale he bent the barrel downward a little. I shot it and it was only 1 foot off then. Two more tries and it threw a perfect 55/45 pattern. The barrel bend wasn’t even really noticeable. I shot that gun for years after that, it shot exactly where I looked. I never had a gun I shot any better a game. He’s dead now, and I wish I had paid way more attention to his setup.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:28 am 
Crown Grade

Turpentine1 wrote:
Not a Benelli story exactly but along the same lines with the trouble the SBE has had.
Years ago I bought a 3” Browning A5, the original real A5 from a dealer. Took it home and it shot over 2 feet high at 40 yards. I sent it back to Browning, they said “in spec” and sent it back. So I called and got angry so they said send it to us, I did, and it came back in spec. So then a prominent gunsmith told me to put a bigger bead on it and use a six o’clock hold, hogwash. Id have to have two clocks and shoot the bottom one. So I met a gunsmith I didn’t know well and mentioned it to him. He said come on by we will get it right. We put the barrel in a vice and using a press and scale he bent the barrel downward a little. I shot it and it was only 1 foot off then. Two more tries and it threw a perfect 55/45 pattern. The barrel bend wasn’t even really noticeable. I shot that gun for years after that, it shot exactly where I looked. I never had a gun I shot any better a game. He’s dead now, and I wish I had paid way more attention to his setup.

A lot of SBE III owners wish he was still alive! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:04 pm 
Limited Edition

Getting a gun like that is unfortunate for sure, and then to have the factory say I it’s in spec is maddening to put it lightly. Then if you’re a decent person you hate to sell it off to some unsuspecting buyer. So what else is there to do. I remember he secured the gun in a padded vice close to barrel band. You certainly don’t want any bend at or behind the band. Then a block was placed under the barrel 4 to 6 inches ahead of the band. The press then went on top of the rib, it’s contact point padded with wood or nylon. As he pressed, he measured the amount of flex with a ruler. When pressure it let off the press the barrel will spring back toward its original position quite a bit. So he would bend in very small increments and check poi. It was interesting to say the least

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:25 pm 
Limited Edition

I am glad to hear some chatter about the SBE III. I still have been very impressed how this gun fits me and would love to purchase one if not for the white elephant in the room. I have gone to many stores and try the gun for fit whenever possible. This gun really fits me well but I am afraid of plunking down 2K+ on a gun that may not point to poi. The dealers don't mention much about the issue unless I have brought it up. When I bring it up, they are willing to talk about some unsatisfied as well as satisfied customers with the gun. They do mention that some people have been very disappointed with the gun at times but equally there are those that are smitten with the gun. I will continue to look for the oppurtunity to shoot the gun before deciding on purchasing one. I have narrowed it down to the SBE III vs Maxus vx Fabarm waterfowler(the new camo version looks great). I would love to hear from others about the pros or cons on the gun. As well as the recurrent issues with the gun frequently shooting high as noted by some hunters

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

With so many other really good autoloaders available these days, the SBElll is really not worth a $1,500 - $2,000 roll of the dice. To paraphrase Dirty Harry, do you feel lucky?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xjr2hnOHiM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:38 am 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
With so many other really good autoloaders available these days, the SBElll is really not worth a $1,500 - $2,000 roll of the dice. To paraphrase Dirty Harry, do you feel lucky? Well do you punk?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dr Duk wrote:
lossking wrote:
With so many other really good autoloaders available these days, the SBElll is really not worth a $1,500 - $2,000 roll of the dice. To paraphrase Dirty Harry, do you feel lucky? Well do you punk?

Who you callin' punk, Doc? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:21 am 
Tournament Grade

Mine killed the majority of ducks I pointed it at this past season and one gobbler this spring as well.

I won't deny that some of these guns have been shown to shoot high, mine was even a few inches high at 40yds out of the box. I put a bigger fiber optic on it, like I would with most waterfowl guns, and I haven't witnessed a single instance where I felt I missed a bird because it naturally shot high. All of my misses rest solely on my mistakes/poor shooting and not the guns.

I think the SBE3 is far and away the best waterfowl gun Benelli has ever made (I've owned every generation) and for that matter the best waterfowl focused/oriented auto currently on the market.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just shot my first night of Sporting Clays league with the SBE III, 31/50 and 41/50

If I could keep my head down could have been better, with some coaching even better.

All with a duck hunting gun. Hummmmm

If a gun shoots "bad" look in the mirror and quit making excuses for your poor shooting. It aint the gun.....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The second round was solid for sure, considering how salty the targets were.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark