ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Durability?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:43 am 
Field Grade

How long (many rounds) roughly do you guys think the M2 will last? How many rounds is normal for a Benelli, I am new to the shotgunning world and am used to replacing a barrel after about 5K rounds or retiring the rifle, are shotguns different? I have heard of some lasting an extreme number of rounds, is this the norm or exception? I am looking for a durable, well made shotgun to add to my collection, so far the M2 looks like it, what would you suggest?

Post subject: Re: Durability?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:26 am 
Diamond Grade

Hi Clayunter--

I can't speak directly for the Benelli M2,since I've never owned one. But in general, shotguns don't get "shot out," as many say rifle barrels do. It takes an awful lot of fouling, dinging, and pitting to make a shotgun barrel unusable--much more so than with a rifle.

You'll get a more specific answer soon, I'm sure, but I thought I'd tell you the general opinion :) That said, I've heard nothing but good stuff about Bennellis.

Jeff

Jeff23
Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen
National Rifle Association

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:56 am 
Limited Edition

The M2 has some new feature on the barrel that supposedly makes it pattern better and last longer. I believe its called criogenic treatment or something. That may make it last longer too? Im not sure.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Clay:

Benellis are superb high-volume firearms; I would not be surprised to see one go 100k rounds with only minor care and maintenance, perhaps the occasional spring. On a bet (a case of shells, I think) a friend of mine shot his Montefeltro through a season of skeet leagues without cleaning it: 10k rounds, zero malfunctions, one lengthy cleaning session when done! While I don't advocate treating any firearm that way, it does illustrate that you can do things with an inertial-recoil Benelli that you just can't get away with in a gas gun.

With regard to barrel wear, the chrome-lined barrel on any Benelli should be about the last thing to wear out. The chrome is very tough, much harder than any projectile you'll shoot through the gun, and like Jeff said, shotguns are far less sensitive to minor abuses than rifles. You'll most likely change every spring in the gun before you shoot out the barrel.

I have three Benellis at the moment, two Novas and a Sport, and have owned three others at various times. I also have Remington, Franchi, Kessler and Kassnar products in the safe, but the Benellis are always my guns of choice for serious shooting.

Best Rgds,
John

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:50 pm 
Limited Edition

I have an M2 on order. An early Christmas present. hehehe

There have been writing of M1's in Argentina having as many as 200k-300k rounds thru them. I do not know if this is true, just what I have read.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:44 pm 
Limited Edition

More like a late xmas present... :P

Social Shooting Club Life Member
NRA Life
NSCA Life
NSCA Certified Referee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:54 pm 
Limited Edition

Early Christmas for 2004 :) Im hoping they ship before then anyway :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are documented Benelli M1, Montefeltro and SBE's with over 500,000 rounds through them. Do search on the internet for Benelli and Dove Hunting to check them out.