ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: turkey chokes
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:52 am 
I just bought the Benelli Nova. I am looking to start turkey hunting. I was wondering if any of you have this gun and have tested out some chokes and ammo and found a good combination for this gun. I can not afford to go out and buy a bunch of chokes and ammo to test it myself, so I am hoping someone already did. thanks

Post subject: Re: turkey chokes
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:58 am 
Limited Edition

I've always used Full Choke with high brass #4 to shoot turkeys. I would assume that combo would work for about any shotgun.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree with King; start with the full choke that came with your gun, and pattern at the range with 2.75" and 3" turkey loads in #4,5 or 6 shot. One of those combinations should pattern well enough to get you started on turkey with minimal investment. Later, as you get more experience, you can invest in super-full chokes, 3.5" loads (ouch!), and recoil reducers.

Good choice on the Nova.

Best Regards,
John

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Great gun - for Turkey hunting I would use Hevi shot and a modified choke however each shotgun is different. Go in with a buddy and split two boxes of shells. Buy one box of remington hevi shot in 4 and one in 6. Now pattern your gun's with a full and a modified choke - using 4's & 6's at 35 to 40 and 45 to 50 yds. Find best choke & yardage pattern. You should get good patterns if not play with the combinations a bit. I have found full a bit tight to pattern well and prefer a modified with hevi shot.

A box of 10 hevi shot is a bit over $20 but how many are you going to shoot in a season? 4 to pattern still leaves 6 for hunting. For more info on hevi shot go to the ballistic products web site and get manual on hevi shot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:50 pm 
Global Moderator

Nitro loads.

http://www.nitrocompany.com/pattern.htm

I still use a 4x6 Remington factory load, with a Roy Rhodes tube but have some nice pattern results from the Nitro triplex loads.

~~There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness~~

"Women and Cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."--Robert A. Heinlein--

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:04 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
I just bought the Benelli Nova. I am looking to start turkey hunting. I was wondering if any of you have this gun and have tested out some chokes and ammo and found a good combination for this gun. I can not afford to go out and buy a bunch of chokes and ammo to test it myself, so I am hoping someone already did. thanks

Comp-n-choke is a very good and dependable choke tube
I tried alot before I got the one I wanted you didnt say if you
have a 12ga or 20ga. If 12ga try a xxx-full I think it a .658 also shoot
winchester 1-3/4 oz 5's or 6's
you can also do like I did and call George at comp-n-choke and
some of the other MFG and ask what type of pattern you can expected with your set-up.
PS. The new Jelly Head .655 from Primos is wicked at 40 yards
best pattern with winchester #5's 1-3/40z.
Good Luck