ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help Super Black Eagle pros and cons
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:25 pm 
Limited Edition

I am looking into getting one and have read good and bad. But i want to here from actual owners on what the deal is. I have read about them not cycling 1 oz loads and so forth. What are the pros and cons. It will be used for duck and sporting clays.

Garrett

Post subject: Re: Need help Super Black Eagle pros and cons
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:57 pm 
Limited Edition

Anyone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There are better choices. It is great for ducks, not so great at sporting clays. Your asking a little much of this gun, an M2 would be a better choice.

Unless it is a steal, I suggest trying to find another model, and then don't expect 100% reliability with 10z loads, if it happens, win, if it doesn't, no disappointment.

What model? Wood, Synthetic? SBE or SBE II? Do you need or just want the 3 1/2" chamber? Gives us an idea and we can point you to a more satisfactory option.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:11 pm 
Limited Edition

Don't need the 3.5 chamber at all. I saw an sbe 1 for sale and it fit good on me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

My dad has had an sbe 1 for 15 years using it for ducks, turkeys and pheasants with never a problem. The sbe 1 or 2 is not recommended for loads lighter than 11/8oz. Perhaps the 1oz us possible after the gun is well broken in. I would not hesitate to buy a sbe from what I have seen with my dad's if the price and fit are right.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I hunt an SBE II regularly for waterfowl which is that gun's wheelhouse. For that purpose, I think the gun is really excellent and I, and others I know who use the gun for the same purpose, think so also.

Used regularly for SC's also...would not be in my top five list of guns for that purpose.

I rather agree...tough to find a gun that will both waterfowl and do SC/Skeet very well.

My one observation about my SBE II is that I found the trigger to be a bit sloppy (pre-play..often mistakenly called creep) and heavy. This is probably by design as it is a hunting gun, often shot with numb fingers in gloves, and you certainly do not want a 3 1/2 lbs competition trigger in a gun like that (I shoot tournament skeet with a K80 so I pretty much find every other trigger wanting a bit).

I did have Ernest Marlette work the trigger just a bit and now I am very happy with it...for those who may want SBE trigger work, there aren't many out there that do this to my knowledge. Ernest is a great gun smith and dealer and I highly recommend him:

Ernest Marlette
1410 Irving Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27103
M (336) 456-1818
B (336) 761-0433
[email protected]
http://www.marlettefinearms.com/index.htm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:26 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=337053

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:35 pm 
Limited Edition

i think im gonna go with a remington 1100 competition thank you all for the help

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You can’t go wrong with a Remington 1100. They are a great gun but you have to keep them clean or they will malfunction. Sometimes it can become necessary to drill out the gas ports to make them cycle 7/8 loads. But this is an easy modification that you can do yourself.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

benelli is the best gun ..................................

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:10 am 
Limited Edition

SBE is a good shotgun, as are all Benelli's in my opinion. But most SBE's do not like and sometime refuse to cycle light loads. But if you are gonna hammer ducks, geese or turkey, slip them heavy loads in there and hammer away.