ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why do I _Need_ a Sure Cycle Kit?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:09 pm 
A stainless recoil spring and tube sounds good, but at $129 at Brownells, is it really necessary? How many of you have seen a badly corroded one? What conditions got it there? I have an SBE and MIField 20ga and both seem too new to be concerned. They rarely see saltwater. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Why do I _Need_ a Sure Cycle Kit?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:45 pm 
Limited Edition

I don’t know, I’ve had my SBE now for 5 seasons without one and it’s doing fine. After the first time it went for a swim, (4 swims total to date) I disassembled the tube and thoroughly cleaned it. I now make it a practice to clean the tube and spring after every season and I haven’t had a miss-fire or spot of rust yet.

I’ve read that some guys like them for shooting light loads, but both my SBE and M1S90 handle 1 Oz loads fine, so I’ve left well enough alone. It’s also supposed to make the action faster, but I haven’t missed a duck yet due to my action being too slow. :mrgreen:

Chuck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:04 pm 
Utility Grade

I do not own a SBE, but I am familiar with the Sure Cycle springs. I have a Winchester SX2, after 2 years I decided to order the Sure Cycle due to rusty water comming out of the stock after wet hunts. The gun was having quite a few cycling problems as well. This year was the first year with it in and it did not solve the problem. Also, now that I have modified the gun Winchester has told me that the warranty is now void. So I'm stuck with an expensive gun that still jams.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:35 pm 
Limited Edition

gustav,

I’m sorry to hear about your problems. I was basically told the same thing a while ago by the guy in charge of Benelli’s warranty shop. He said that if I installed the Surecycle and something went wrong, it was on me.

Chuck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:02 am 
Field Grade

So you're saying we should take out our Sure Cycles and put in the factory recoil spring assembly before sending it back to Benelli?

That is important to know if, by very slim chance, something goes wrong with my SBE and it has to go back.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:40 am 
Limited Edition

I’d think that for them to deny a warranty repair based on the surecycle, it would have to be related to that system, IE not a barrel problem or stock.

But, if it was me, the gun would be going back the same way I bought it.

Chuck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:26 am 
Tournament Grade

If "rusty water" came out of my gun I would have that gun detail stripped in a flash to dry out and oil ALL of the parts, not just the recoil assembly. I'll put in a good word for Sure-Cycle. Their products are beautifully machined stainless steel replacements for your shotgun's steel recoil assembly. While some fair-weather shooters may not drench their guns in the marsh, carbon steel can rust on its own anyway. Some basic mechanical skills are needed to do the job, since the part is lock-tited in place. The receiver must be held in a padded vice, and heat must be applied (to the recoil assembly, not the receiver) until the lock-tite loosens. Other than that, the sure-cycle is a no-brainer way to upgrade your gun and increase reliability. Of course, it will not fix problems in your trigger or shell feeding system.
-Lazarus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:57 pm 
Field Grade

An interesting note here; I called SRM about which Sure Cycle I would need for my SBE. I questioned whether or not it would require lube in the future. The guy told me it comes lubed for an initial breakin, and after that no lube is required, ever. He then went on to tell me that cleaning it involves simply rinsing it out with water!

Anyone use their stainless magazine spring upgrade kit? I think I may order that as well so I can take my SBE scuba diving in the FL Keys this summer.