ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nova Question
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:16 am 
Utility Grade

I am sure that my next shotgun will be the Nova, but I would like to ask all the Nova owners and shooters if they have come across any problems with the gun. I have talked to many people and most have told me to save up a little more and buy the 870 Wingmaster. I guess my problem is that no one I have talked to has ever shot a Nova. I like the Wingmaster but I think the Nova is a better field gun for durability.

Please Help!

Post subject: Re: Nova Question
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:10 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought mine last fall and have been extremely pleased. I was not keen on the synthetic stock but i am happy to have it now after last years duck season. It is very durable. I have put hundreds of rounds through it and never had a jam. Ithaca makes a very affordable rifled barrel so i am going to start using it for deer so it is very versitile. Another benifit is the 5- year warranty. It is easy to clean and easier to shoot. A small person might have a little trouble with it's recoil becausde it is so light. but to the average person it's fine.
Bottom line: great gun so far

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:20 am 
After a lot of hemmin' and hawin', I bought my Nova about 3 weeks ago. I've only been able to get to the range with it once so far, but I tell ya, it's a great gun. I shot for about 2 1/2 hours with target and turkey loads, and I was impressed. I'm 6'1" and have long arms, and the gun fits and felt great shooting. One of the things I like best is the long slide. Depending on how and what I'm shooting, I don't have a problem getting my grip just right. Since it's all black, I grabbed a couple cans of spray paint and camoed her up, (I need a digital camera) and it looks really good. I don't think you can go wrong with one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:43 pm 
No problems at all, with over 5000 rounds fired. The Nova is an excellent shotgun, accurate-reliable-indestructible-easy to clean-weatherproof, and not expensive at all. Be sure to consider how the Nova fits you. I got lucky, and with just the addition of a slip on pad to increase LOP, and the Mercury recoil reducer to absorb the recoil, I have a Trap shotgun that breaks clays as well as guns costing ten times as much. If any gun, for whatever reason, does not fit your build, length of your arms, ect.-you will not shoot it as well as a gun that does.
I cannot offer any advice on the Wingmaster- I have never shot one. The two guns are very different in drop at comb-drop at heel- ect. These are the things, and more, that make a difference in how well or badly a gun fits Good luck with your decision-If the Nova is for you, you will not regret it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:59 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for the info. I will let you know when I make my purchase.
I Can’t Wait!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:38 pm 
I bought a Nova two years ago. I trap shoot every year and shoot alot. Never had any problems. I think it is a much better choice than the 870.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:54 pm 
Field Grade

HavingABlast,
I purchased a Benelli Nova a few years back and it's by far the most reliable shotgun that I've ever purchased.

Nothing wrong with the Wingmaster, but I've had my share of Remingtons or Jamingtons as they are often called. Sent an 870 Super Mag back to the factory 2 times and sold it when it came back the last time and purchased a Benelli Nova. No regrets!

Ithaca makes a good cantalever rifled slug barrel for the Nova. It can be purchased at Cabelas for $149.00.

Good hunting, Outdoorguy57

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:12 am 
Field Grade

Took baby to range. 50 yrds your a$$ is mine with reduced recoil slugs :twisted: . 100yrds, one kill and two outside the black on B27. Will train for 100yrds possibly 125. Waterfowl and small game mean nothing.. Nova SP 18.5in barrel . . We shall overcome. 3rd National Flag of the Confederacy!

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:20 am 
Field Grade

Great gun. Hunted the last 3 duck seasons with mine. ZERO problems. I used an 870 before. Had to watch the finish on the 870 (Express) a little closer and clean a little quicker to keep rust at bay. Go Nova.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:55 pm 
Field Grade

I have both the 870 and Nova.. Go with the Nova hands down.
There isn't a better gun for the money. I have abused my Nova like a stepsister :oops: :lol: No problems and thousands of shell thru her with never a prob :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:14 pm 
A comment. I find myself pinching my fingers between the forend and reciever unless I grasp the forend carefully. This alone disqualifies the piece for me. It is a pump and I find myself hesitant to PUMP. My 870 is actually 1 ounce lighter. The tactical forums SEAL team guy likes the 870 plenty, so contrast that with the jamamatic comment above.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:17 am 
Tournament Grade

The 870 is a time proven design that is still popular today, but the Nova is slowly gaining some popularity because it is a very well-built gun. I own one and like it very much. It is so easy to disassemble and clean, it's spoiled me. Some people do prefer the more traditional look of a wingmaster or such guns, but I happen to like the look of the Nova.