ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New M2 Field
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

2004 was a very good year for Turkey. I got both of my Toms and very nice one's at that. Learned some lessons too. Never have I ever lost or missed a bird before. And I had both happen to me this year. You can call it a lesson in humility.

As with everyone else, all the hunting equipment and clothes are cleaned and stored away for the year. Man I can hardly wait for 2005.

I did get an itch to purchase a new gun for next years season. Figure its time to replace the Mossberg 835. I was going to get a Benelli Nova 24" just for turkey hunting. I have been doing alot research and looking at many different guns just for this cause. But during all my research and looking I came across a new gun on the market that just absolutely caught my eye and once I picked it up, oh man I was hooked and had to have it. I bought a new Benelli M2 Field 26" in black. Figured what the hell. I will use this gun for Turkey, Waterfowl and Upland Gamebirds. I was shot a very good deal and just couldn't pass on it. Besides like I told the salesman, I can use the new gun for the upcoming waterfowl and pheasant season and if it doesn't pattern well for turkeys, I can always come back and buy the Nova before next turkey season since that will be a few months away.

Now what do I do with my Browning Gold which is only 2 years old ? I'll bet my boy would love to have it. Not sure I want to completely give it up though.

bird

Post subject: Re: New M2 Field
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

Congrats :D , I bought my m2 a couple of weeks ago. It patterns great with the new crio chokes and barrels. :P

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:44 pm 
Field Grade

I have the same shotgun you purchased...Black.. 26bbl and I installed the hi-viz sights. I think you will probably use you Browning as a backup shotgun :D That means it will never be used again :oops: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 6:22 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks guys, The boy is already asking about the Gold. I told him he can use it but he can't have it.

Has anyone purchased a turkey choke yet for a M2 ? There is not much available for the criochoke system. I see that the Beretta Optima Plus use's the same chokes. But I don't want to spend "alot" of wasted money on a turkey choke that doesn't perform well....... Any ideas or suggestions on which turkey choke and what constiction to get ?

bird

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

I picked up one of brileys turkey chokes for my m1, I dont know if anyone has any out for the new benellis.I think I might tru-lock has some for the new benellis, not sure though

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

I picked up one of brileys turkey chokes for my m1, I dont know if anyone has any out for the new benellis.I think I might tru-lock has some for the new benellis, not sure though

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 6:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

birdhunter88 wrote:
Has anyone purchased a turkey choke yet for a M2 ? There is not much available for the criochoke system. I see that the Beretta Optima Plus use's the same chokes.

Are the new Benelli barrels back bored? I thought they weren't and the Beretta was. If that's the case they don't interchange even though they may be the same length.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

I couldn't take it today. I grabbed the old Mossberg 500 20 ga that never gets used (like new) and an old Marlin .22 cal that I haven't shot in probably 6 years and went back to the gun shop and was hoping to get $100.00 a piece for them and I was going to drop the other $100.00 from my pocket and get that Benelli Nova 24" 12 ga. for a turkey gun. I figured if they would do that then I would go ahead and buy the Nova. Well needless to say, They ended up trading me even up. Done Deal ! Now I have my New Nova for turkey hunting and a New Benelli M2 Field for upland birds. And I didn't have to spend a dime. I was very happy with the deal that I got.

Now when does the next season start ?

I did a bunch of research today on the internet and checked quite a few sights. And yes the Beretta and Benelli chokes will interchange. The New M2 and the SBE II will use the Beretta Optima "PLUS" choke tubes. Its just that I really wanted to get either a Kick's Gobblin Thunder, Primos Jelly Head, or one from Trulock for the M2. But after the deal that I got today it is no longer an issue as I will get the Primos Jelly Head turkey choke for the Nova and will be as happy as hell now.

Nova for turkeys and M2 for upland birds

bird

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:05 pm 
Congrats on all you guys with the new M2's!
Hopefully, I will be feeling the joy soon as well.
I was just wondering if I should get the 26" or 28".
I'm shooting mostly duck and pheasant, some quail and geese, and I'd love to try out some boar :) , although I'm not sure if that will work with the M2. And I'd like to use it a lot for trap/skeet/clays.
I've actually never owned a shotgun, but I've been shooting mostly 870 and 835s. (borrowed from friends) Now I have the means to get a nice one and my heart is set on the M2. Is it going to be much more difficult to take care of than the pumps? I'll probably out 30 or so boxes through it a year (more, if I have time and money!).
Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

Personally I like a 26" barrel gun. For me it is easier to swing than a 28" gun. Plus you can always purchase extended choke tubes to fit your hunting needs if you truely want to go with a long gun.

bird

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:50 pm 
Field Grade

I like the 26 in barrel also...You goona love it. This gun is easier to clean then and other gun I own.Enjoy :D

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

After much research and decision making, I finally ordered a turkey choke for my new Nova. I have heard some very good comments about the Primos Jelly Head, Kicks, Rhino, Patternmaster, Comp-n-Choke, Hastings, and so on and on and on.
Well I ended up with getting a Trulock Precision Hunter .660 Ported. I based my decision purely on 2 days worth of research and gut feelings. I even called Trulock and was able to talk to the man in charge, George Trulock himself. He was very kind and patient. He answered all my questions and made some suggestions for me. I feel that I made a very wise decision on going with his company. So much so that when his company comes out with some extended Waterfowl chokes for my Benelli M2, I will be possibly ordering a couple of them from him too. Hopefully this turns out to be a fantastic choke by all the research and reading that I had done. As I would love to continue to do more business with a company that takes the personal approach in making a customer happy. "Lifetime Warranty" and capable of handling Hevi-shot turkey loads.

bird