ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sport II -Trouble chambering single rounds
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:03 am 
Tournament Grade

I'd like some feedback from other Sport II owners. When dropping in only one 2-3/4" round from the side (trap shooting), the carrier jams about 50% of the time, and is unable to chamber the shell. A slight touch on the bolt release arm will be enough to free it up again. I have to load up some powder challenged shells and duplicate the problem in the shop so I can see exactly what is happening. There was an interesting thread about Beretta carriers doing similar things when they switched to a flat carrier. Anyone else having similar troubles when loading one round only?
-Lazarus

Post subject: Re: Sport II -Trouble chambering single rounds
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

So, is everyone loading their gun from the magazine? Hmmm.
I emailed Benelli customer support, not really expecting to hear back for several months. However I did get a reply on the same day! Some genius at Benelli says, "I know you are using 2-3/4" shells, but what size shot?" What? What does shot size have to do with the carrier not lifting the shell into the chamber when loading one round? Nothing. The shell jams the carrier and it cannot lift until you fiddle with the bolt handle. No problems cycling the action using 1-1/8 oz. 3 dram equiv. loads. Then, when I pointed out we weren't discussing ejection he tells me, "We have to see that gun!" Folks, I am not packing up this gun and sending it into the Bermuda Triangle. Anyone else experiencing this quirky jamming on loading one round?
-Lazarus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Try posting this question on the Benelli forums on the Benelli USA web site. You'll probably be able to get input from more people that own the gun. From what I've noticed the factory people don't pay much attention so you won't have to worry about their ignorant questions and send us the gun response.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:48 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll do that. I will say the gun cycles very nicely, and it is fast. 1-1/8 oz. 3 dram shells pop out politely to the right and land about 3 feet away. And, the action stays very clean. So, it is a keeper. Just have to get a few bugs worked out.
-Lazarus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:36 am 
Field Grade

I have the Sport II I use for trap league. I can't say anything but good things about it. My gun did what you are talking about two times when I first got it. I just barely had to touch the bolt and it closed. I've shot 800-1000 shells since and hasn't done it again. One thing I did notice is I got a lot of build up in the chamber where the shell goes in the barrel that I had a hard time getting clean. It took a lot of soaking and scrubbing with a brush. I thought maybe this was the cause of why my gun acted up. The build up happened when I first got the gun and hasn't happened since. My dad liked the Sport II so much he bought one. The first week he shot his it wouldn't eject the shell at times...he didn't have the barrel seated in the piece that makes the top of the receiver all the way. I tightened the magazine cap and that fixed that problem. I like this gun so well I'm going to buy the Supersport when they become available. I was told Friday that it would be September.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Interesting that you also experienced the same thing. Thanks for the tip about crud buildup in the chamber. I'll bet there is a sharp corner somewhere in my receiver that catches the odd shell before it can be lifted up. But, I don't want to cycle live ammo in my living room! Wondered what your cleaning procedure is for the barrel...remove choke or leave it in? Anything special to clean out the port areas? As far as the Super Sport, it is the same gun with synthetic stocks. We should be able to buy the stock and fore end directly (I'd like to also), as soon as the guns are in stock in the US. I just got my Sport II after a 3 month wait.
-Lazarus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ok, I may have found the reason for the jamming. The short description: carrier catches the bolt release arm as it rises.

Detailed description:
The front of the carrier is forked. The right fork must be carefully rounded and you will notice that the right front side of the carrier has a special lip and ramp that the left side does not. When the bolt release is being pressed inward, the bolt release arm moves toward the carrier. If the right fork of the carrier happens to be just a bit long and not contoured enough, it will catch the bolt release arm and jam, or drag, stopping the carrier from lifting. This problem won't appear on successive chamberings that take place automatically from the magazine, because the bolt release does not have to be pressed.

Tentative solution is to remove the trigger group, pull the large pin retaining the carrier/hammer/reset lever. Re-contour the right front fork stub just at the corner where it will interfere with the release arm. Finish with 600 paper to a smooth surface where you worked.

The interference applies to Sport II and guns with the same 2-piece receiver such as the Legacy. To observe the interference, unload the gun, pull trigger, lock bolt back. Turn the receiver upside down. While holding the bolt back with one hand, you can press the bolt release, causing the carrier to jump up. With the bolt held back, you will be able to work the carrier up and down with the bolt release arm pressed, observing the right front fork tip for interference with the pressed bolt release arm.

That's it for now. Time to range test. Reports follow.
-Lazarus