ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I got to shoot a new Nickel Ethos-my thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, I finally got to shoot some skeet with a borrowed near new 26" Nickel Ethos this past weekend and this is my basic impression and thoughts about the gun:

*Aesthetics: Stylish with smooth, almost sexy lines, kind of like a Ferarri. I felt the fit and finish was quite good when compared to a standard field gun.
*Balance: I really noticed the neutral balance and the light weight feel of the gun
*Ergonomics: The gun really mounted up nice and straight but the stock grip felt a bit too thick to me. I did like the slender feel of the forearm
*Shooting: The trigger was typical Benelli to me, tolerable. Though I felt the gun swung very well, I really wasn't impressed with the new progressive comfort recoil reduction system. I was shooting Fed. Field & Range 1oz 3-1/4dram #8. The felt recoil seemed to be a bit harsher than my Vinci Comfort tech and about equal to my 20ga M2 American non-Comfort Tech. Perhaps it gets softer with heavier loads.

Overall, my lust to own one has subsided with that experience. Although it's visually attractive and seemed really well built, I've got 3 other Benellis' that shoot just as good as the Ethos, I rarely shoot any of them at the clay games and I can save that $1699-$1999 to go towards a nice 20ga O/U next year.

H&K/Benelli SBE
Benelli Super Vinci APG
Sig/B.Rizzini TR20U O/U 20ga
Sig/B.Rizzini TT 45 O/U 20ga.*** for sale***

Last edited by hattles on Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: I got to shoot a new Nickel Ethos-my thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:20 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

hattles wrote:
[b]
Shooting: The trigger was typical Benelli to me, tolerable. Though I felt the gun swung very well, I really wasn't impressed with the new progressive comfort recoil reduction system. I was shooting Fed. Field & Range 1oz 3-1/4dram #8. The felt recoil seemed to be a bit harsher than my Vinci Comfort tech and about equal to my 20ga M2 American non-Comfort Tech. Perhaps it gets softer with heavier loads.

Hattles, you nailed it. No, it doesn't get softer with heavier loads at all, it becomes a nasty little beast.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RandyWakeman wrote:
hattles wrote:
[b]
Shooting: The trigger was typical Benelli to me, tolerable. Though I felt the gun swung very well, I really wasn't impressed with the new progressive comfort recoil reduction system. I was shooting Fed. Field & Range 1oz 3-1/4dram #8. The felt recoil seemed to be a bit harsher than my Vinci Comfort tech and about equal to my 20ga M2 American non-Comfort Tech. Perhaps it gets softer with heavier loads.

Hattles, you nailed it. No, it doesn't get softer with heavier loads at all, it becomes a nasty little beast.

Randy, I remember reading your first impressions and shooting review on the Ethos and, being a dedicated Benelli owner, I was a bit disappointed with the review. I'm sure glad I finally used better judgment and didn't run out and buy the first bargain priced Ethos.

My Benellis' are ultra reliable, versatile hunting guns first and foremost and that is why I've been shooting them since 1992 and will continue to hunt with them. My H&K SBE has been used for all of the clay games and in every type of hunting condition imaginable and has never let me down.

But...I really was disappointed with the Ethos and no longer want one even though I think it's still a good, but not great, Benelli shotgun. I much prefer function over form.

H&K/Benelli SBE
Benelli Super Vinci APG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:13 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Oh, the Ethos isn't a "disaster" by any means. It just isn't all it was cracked up to be, although it has very nice lines.

The trigger was a disappointment, way too heavy (heavier than most Benellis), the pistol grip is odd (according to my hand), and the "Progressive Comfort" system is more progressive discomfort than anything else.

It works well enough, it is lightweight, looks sharp . . . but although this Progressive Comfort was touted as being a breakthrough fabulous solution to recoil pollution, it is hardly that.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 am 
Crown Grade

It looks good, and would definitely improve my appearance at the range or in the field, but I just can't see spending almost $2 grand on one when I already have 2 Benellis. I really don't think it would improve my shooting ability, but I would look better missing the targets (or the pheasants)!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

{CR8
Halwg wrote:
It looks good, and would definitely improve my appearance at the range or in the field, but I just can't see spending almost $2 grand on one when I already have 2 Benellis. I really don't think it would improve my shooting ability, but I would look better missing the targets (or the pheasants)!

H&K/Benelli SBE
Benelli Super Vinci APG

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:02 pm 
Utility Grade

Hattles, this is a reply to an old post but were you shooting the 20g or 12g Ethos?