ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SV?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:16 pm 
Limited Edition

Hey Everyone

I did something really stupid yesterday. I thought I had narrowed my waterfowl gun down to the M2 vs the Fabarm Waterfowler. As I was reevaluating fit, I was talked into trying the SV again. I had eliminated it just because of looks and the safety position. But, man does that gun come up fast and really fits well. They did their homework on it I must say. Many who have the gun or have used it comment on the ergonomics and quickness on coming up to position. So, I would love to hear some comments on those that use the gun:

1. Is the safety position a real issue?

2. I know it is ugly, I get it. But this will see a lot of time tramping in the woods and in duck blinds.

3. It does not get much mention these days due to the SBE 3 issues and newness of that gun.
So if you use one, any new thoughts or suggestins would be appreciated.

4. I left the store really thinking I want the SV. Am I loosing my mind?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Woody

Post subject: Re: SV?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:52 pm 
Field Grade

What's an SV?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:23 pm 
Crown Grade

What does come up fast mean—-really? Is it a race? Why would one gun come up faster than another if they both fit you? If they don’t both fit you, then there is no point in considering them both in the first place.

Oh, yeah. And I ask also, what is an SV.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:03 pm 
Crown Grade

rpenmanparker wrote:
What does come up fast mean—-really? Is it a race? Why would one gun come up faster than another if they both fit you? If they don’t both fit you, then there is no point in considering them both in the first place.

Really?......generally speaking, a lighter gun can be mounted faster. Generally size and strength can come into play. Generally speaking, in clay target shooting it doesn’t matter. Generally speaking, lighter weight for carry and speed of mount can matter in hunting. Generally speaking, how could you not understand that?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:

Really?......generally speaking, a lighter gun can be mounted faster. Generally size and strength can come into play. Generally speaking, in clay target shooting it doesn’t matter. Generally speaking, lighter weight for carry and speed of mount can matter in hunting. Generally speaking, how could you not understand that?

I don’t understand a lot of what people believe about their hobbies. I am a skeptic. Who said the gun was lighter? But more importantly you forgot to tell me what SV means.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

why should he? you're being a jackass.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

woody i agree the SV is butt arse ugly but fit really is paramount. oddly enough i overheard a guy at a charity shoot with one and he was telling his buddy how much he loved the way the gun fit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:03 pm 
Crown Grade

birdhunter39 wrote:
why should he? you're being a jackass.

How bizarre!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

rpenmanparker wrote:

You really don't feel that some shotguns seem to come up quicker and easier than others? A 5-1/2lb. gun "comes up quicker" than a 7-1/2lb. gun. And some would say a gun with a 26" barrel would come up quicker than the same gun with a 30" barrel.

And you don't think that a quick mount can be important in hunting?

Really...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:53 pm 
Crown Grade

Let me try to bring this back to a civil conversation. My “really” comment didn’t mean I was doubting OP. It meant I really wanted to know what I was asking. My bad for being unclear. I apologize if I offended anyone. It wasn’t my intention.

About coming up fast, well, that is outside my small experience. My 8 lb gun comes up as fast as I want to bring it up. So I’m a little unsure what fast really means.

And I looked up SV but didn’t find anything that seemed to fit what was being discussed. An explanation would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Super Vinchi. And any safety in front of trigger does not work for me. I’ve shot too many guns with it behind the trigger and I would never buy one for that reason. I’ve had them and fumbled shots in the field on game because of it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:00 pm 
Crown Grade

desmobob wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:

You really don't feel that some shotguns seem to come up quicker and easier than others? A 5-1/2lb. gun "comes up quicker" than a 7-1/2lb. gun. And some would say a gun with a 26" barrel would come up quicker than the same gun with a 30" barrel.

Really...

Okay, if you say so. But unless you are right on the edge of being incapable of raising the gun at all, I don’t see how a couple of pounds would make a difference. Sure it takes more force to accelerate a heavier gun as fast as a lighter one, but it is force (strength) that for most people should be available. But as I said above I’m pretty ignorant about this stuff and will defer to the greater experience. I suppose I need to test it out on friends’ guns I have access to. Live and learn.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:05 pm 
Crown Grade

Patently Obvious wrote:
Super Vinchi. And any safety in front of trigger does not work for me. I’ve shot too many guns with it behind the trigger and I would never buy one for that reason. I’ve had them and fumbled shots in the field on game because of it.

Aha! I see my mistake. The gun isn’t what I would call ugly at all. Looks sharp if you ask me. That is what confused me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

rpenmanparker wrote:
desmobob wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:

Really...

Okay, if you say so. But unless you are right on the edge of being incapable of raising the gun at all, I don’t see how a couple of pounds would make a difference. Sure it takes more force to accelerate a heavier gun as fast as a lighter one, but it is force (strength) that for most people should be available. But as I said above I’m pretty ignorant about this stuff and will defer to the greater experience. I suppose I need to test it out on friends’ guns I have access to. Live and learn.

I apologize for the tone of my message... I read your original comment the wrong way, I guess.

Anyway, yes; weight (especially a couple of pounds) does make a difference in how fast you can mount a gun, especially if you've been busting the the alders or thorns or brush for hours, carrying a heavy gun hunting ruffed grouse, or if you're standing waist-deep in a marsh, having to hold your gun for hours and a flock of teal suddenly come zipping right over your head from behind.

In the New England woods, hunting without a dog, you may only have a fraction of second to get your gun mounted and get a shot off at a ruffie. You can react quicker with a lighter gun, especially if you've been lugging it around for hours.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

For sure. People who only shoot clays with a premounted gun don’t appreciate how much harder it is to execute a gun mount on flushing game when you don’t know when exactly the bird will flush and you’ve been toting your gun for an hour or so just waiting for a shot opportunity. Add in cold and bulky coat and things get even harder.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:47 pm 
Limited Edition

So sorry for the confusion. SV stands for Super Vinci. I have always been slightly averse to the safety in front of the trigger and had steered away from the SV in the past. What I meant by coming up fast, is how quick the gun came to correct shoulder position and resulted in the correct mount of the cheek and sight plane. It just seems to fit very well. The M2, Maxus and Waterfowl seem to require some tweaking for me to get in correct position. Albeit, a short period of time. I would love to not have to think about the mount. I tend to take the time to mount the gun correctly before firing. Over the years, it is the single most important thing I need to do to make a good shot. I believe it is the most important thing to do whenever shooting a shotgun. I would rather practice consistently mounting a gun before a hunt than practicing at the skeet range. So, a quick, easy, effortless, mindless mount is important to me. Thanks for the thoughts and notes

Woody

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:35 am 
Diamond Grade

Woody, the thing to keep in mind is modern autos all have shims that should allow you to get any of them to fit you well. I’m 6’ 3” and no gun on the rack fits me. When I pop the right shim in and put on a slip on recoil pad for more length I can get a modern auto to fit. I still would not get a SV with that safety location.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:40 am 
Diamond Grade

Patently Obvious wrote:
I still would not get a SV with that safety location.

I have the opposite opinion... I'm used to a safety in front of the trigger. My finger rests comfortably on a safety button there and is ready to disengage it in an instant.

A safety behind the trigger, at the rear part of the trigger guard requires that I curl my finger back in an uncomfortable position to have it at the ready. My much-loved little Franchi 48AL is set up that way and I deal with it grudgingly. True love often requires compromise! :wink:

It all depends on what you're used to, or what you're willing to adapt to...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:17 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks so much for your thoughts guys. I really need to play around more with the SV and the safety position to see if it is the right fit for me. I may have the chance to shoot one this next week as I will meet some friends and duck hunt.

Woody

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:43 am 
Presentation Grade

On safety location my feeling is there is top tang (BPS for example) and there is anywhere else. Top tang feels natural to me. Anywhere else I'm indifferent to.