ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adding weight
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:27 am 
Field Grade

If I were to add weight in the buttstock of a Montefeltro Sporting, would the gun function properly to cycle the next round ?

Post subject: Re: Adding weight
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:59 am 
Field Grade

Any time you add weight to the inertia system you will run the risk of making the gun not function reliably.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:19 am 
Utility Grade

I put mercury recoil reducers in the magazines of both of my left handed M2's(a 12 and a 20). Both function well with very light trap and skeet loads as well as hunting ammo.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:47 am 
Diamond Grade

N D Guy... I'm considering getting my first inertia toy. Have only even fired one just five or six shots over the years, so forgive my ignorance. Are the firing mechanism's on your m2's identical to the Montefeltro? Reason I ask, I'm uncertain which inertia gun I may end up with. M2, monte, perhaps Affinity 3. I'm encouraged by your experience with light loads. I prefer 7/8 in 12 ga; and 3/4 in 20 for practice and skeet/clays and fun...which I do much, much, more than hunting.

I'm aware of the light loads limitations with inertia guns, which is one reason I've procrastinated on getting one. How light do you go in 12 and 20 respectively? Are your springs standard or set up after market for light loads?

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread...I hope it's kinda relative to op's topic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:27 pm 
Crown Grade

johnnie g wrote:
If I were to add weight in the buttstock of a Montefeltro Sporting, would the gun function properly to cycle the next round ?

With a Briley weight cap, and some lead weights.....I’ve put almost a pound on one, and it still reliably cycled 1oz @ 1250.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:22 pm 
Field Grade

Grouse Gunner wrote:
N D Guy... I'm considering getting my first inertia toy. Have only even fired one just five or six shots over the years, so forgive my ignorance. Are the firing mechanism's on your m2's identical to the Montefeltro? Reason I ask, I'm uncertain which inertia gun I may end up with. M2, monte, perhaps Affinity 3. I'm encouraged by your experience with light loads. I prefer 7/8 in 12 ga; and 3/4 in 20 for practice and skeet/clays and fun...which I do much, much, more than hunting.

I'm aware of the light loads limitations with inertia guns, which is one reason I've procrastinated on getting one. How light do you go in 12 and 20 respectively? Are your springs standard or set up after market for light loads?

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread...I hope it's kinda relative to op's topic.

The only ones I've had that would cycle 7/8 12g reliably was an M2 I used in 3 gun with a lightened bolt carrier and light recoil spring and a Super Sport. - Ammo used in the M2 was just cheap winchester #8 bulk pack from Walmart. The Super Sport was a target load from RIO ammo - link to ammo below:

https://www.ableammo.com/catalog/rio-el ... 40677.html

The only one I have that won't reliably cycle 1oz 12g is an M3, but it's inertia system is a little different from the others being that the recoil spring is around the mag tube and not in the stock.

I don't necessarily think the lightened bolt carrier was needed, but if I were dead set on running 7/8, I would change the recoil spring.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:13 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

johnnie g wrote:

It depends on how much weight, the specific loads used, and the individual gun.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:25 am 
Utility Grade

Grouse Gunner,
I don't know if or how the M2's and Montefeltros differ. The loads I use are 7/8 of 8's in 12 at 1140-1150 fps and 3/4 oz 8's or 8.5's in 20 at 1150 or so. Those loads functioned both M2's well and recoil is fairly light. Springs are original equipment.