ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thinking about a new shotgun......
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

I’m in the place where I need a new shotgun. I’ve been eyeballing three..... a Benelli SBEIII, and the Browning Wicked Wing Maxus and A5. My big questions on the Benelli..... do the still have that oddball patterning problem? Also heard that the red Chinese own them now is that really true?? I’m hoping not...... as I always liked the SBE. Thanks all for your help!!

Sir Cletis' Mia Bella

Post subject: Re: Thinking about a new shotgun......
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:45 pm 
Crown Grade

Red Chinese?........ as opposed to other Chinese?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

SBE3 still patterns high for many. There was just a thread on here recently about that with an unsatisfied buyer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:22 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

From a couple of days ago:

Quote:
Hi, Randy -

First and foremost, I want to say that your appreciation of the massive issues with SBE 3’s high patterning is well taken. I actually wrote one of the Bass Pro Shops reviews you list (posted as “LuisL”) in your piece “On the Benelli Super Black Eagle 3 Disaster”.

On that note, I’m militarily deployed overseas right now and had a lot of time to reflect on the year’s worth of frustrating shooting I’ve had with this gun. Needless to say, I’m really itching to part with it. It takes a tremendous amount of forethought to make a kill with a gun that puts the entire pattern over what you point at. Making a quick shot on a bird in flight is almost impossible, even with a tall front sight, because instincts dictate what the body does when quick reaction is required. Those instincts dictate aligning the gun with the target hold point and squeezing the trigger. That’s simply not possible with a gun shooting this high.

Turkeys? Forget about it? Loaning the gun to someone unfamiliar with this high pattern? Did it once and it ended in disaster for the guy. Deer? I wouldn’t even try when paper testing had slugs landing about 6” over the aimpoint at *20 yards*.

Beretta owns the Benelli firearm trademark.

Since 2005 Benelli has been a part of the Qjian Jiang (QJ) group, the largest capacity manufacturer of motorcycles in China. https://usa.benelli.com/company

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yes..... I did not know until now they were owned by the Chinese government. I don’t understand so beretta owns the benelli name but the red Chinese own everything else correct?

Sir Cletis' Mia Bella

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Benelli Armi SpA is not the same company as Benelli motorcycles. They haven't been for many, many years.

Benelli Armi SpA is owned by Beretta (Fabbrica d'Armi Pietro Beretta S.p.A.) since 1983, which in turn is owned by Beretta Holding SA. That is an Italian company still managed by the Beretta family.
http://www.berettaholding.com/en/brands

The Benelli motorcycle company spun off the firearms business many years ago, and there is no association between the Chinese ownership of Benelli motorcycles and Benelli Armi.

Randy, you should know better.

Edit to make even more clear: Benelli firearms are manufactured by Benelli Armi, a Beretta-owned Italian company. The Benelli motorcycle brand is owned by a Chinese conglomerate. They are not the same company and haven't been for almost 40 years. Yes, both are called "Benelli" and they were the same company from 1967-1983 but the businesses were split decades ago.

*edited to correct dates*

Last edited by miklm on Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thank you for the correction I appreciate it.

Sir Cletis' Mia Bella

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:33 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

CMH wrote:
Yes..... I did not know until now they were owned by the Chinese government. I don’t understand so beretta owns the benelli name but the red Chinese own everything else correct?

I didn't say that nor have I ever said that. This is the story of Benelli: https://usa.benelli.com/company . Where did you come up with the "Chinese government" thing? It is publicly traded.

The QJ company, with capital of more than 750 million US$, has been listed on the Chinese stock exchange since 1999 and also produces quads, electric bicycles, lawnmowers, golf carts, generators, pumps and other gardening equipment. 20% of its production is exported abroad, including to the Americas and Europe.

Benelli Armi was formed in 1967: https://www.benelli.it/en/content/benelli-history . It failed, and Benelli was acquired by Beretta in 1983.

Beretta Holding S.A., established in 1995 and headquartered in Gardone Val Trompia, Italy, is the holding company for the famous Italian industrial group and holds direct or indirect participation in the 32 companies that currently make up the group which is a recognised leader in the sector of light firearms dedicated to hunting, sporting and personal defence. More about Beretta Holding is here: http://berettaholding.com/en/ .

The brands of Beretta Holding are here: http://berettaholding.com/en/brands

Beretta is privately held.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:27 am 
Limited Edition

I purchased a new SBE3 last month to replace a Browning Maxus. In my pattern testing the SBE3 patterns ~60/40 across a variety of loads, choke manufacturers, and constrictions. I have no trouble smashing clays with it and I expect it will do well in the bird fields in the fall. I am very pleased with the gun. My only complaints to date are the redesigned bolt release is not improved over the old version, I wish it had the plug system of the Ethos, and it only came with 2 extended chokes rather than 5. I also wish I would have waiting another month or so to buy so that I could have checked out the “BEST” model with the (supposedly) more durable surface coating.

It was nice of them to include a copy of Mao’s Little Red Book in the box.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:56 am 
Presentation Grade

that is downright strange. Absent being challenged randy would have left that guy thinking Benelli guns were made by a Chinese company. Very odd.

OP step rib benellis shoot high and it works for a lot of people. Floating the bird makes great sense. However it can be problematic going from a flat shooting gun to a higher shooting gun. There are plenty of people in sporting clays who like floating the bird as well. Imo instinctive shooting, particularly of birds, is well served by such a design.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:39 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks guys I appreciate it..... much better to know and again it’s a shotgun I will consider.

Sir Cletis' Mia Bella

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:44 am 
Crown Grade

OP: PM just sent to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I corrected some dates in my post above, but the facts remain.

Benelli, the motorcycle company, went bankrupt multiple times and have been under a number of different owners, including De Tomaso (along with Moto Guzzi) in the 1970s. It was acquired by the Qianjiang group in 2005. There is still a motorcycle factory in Italy (Pesaro) although I have not been there. I have been to the Ducati motorcycle factory in Bologna, and I have been to Benelli Armi HQ in Urbino, Italy.

Hopefully this clarifies things somewhat. The history of large companies, especially foreign, often has many twists and turns. But it should be clear that Benelli shotguns are not in any way owned by a Chinese company, nor made, in China - if for some reason that matters to a prospective buyer.