ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thinking about a SBE 3
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:33 pm 
Utility Grade

Long story short I am looking to buy a good semi auto to waterfowl and turkey hunt with. I duck hunt from a drift boat and turkey hunt running mountains. I hunt with guys who swear by their superblack eagle 2's. I really would like to get a superblack eagle 3 but I am concerned I am going to get a lemon. All I can find on the internet are people's horror stories. So after filling my head with horror stories of terrible patterning, I am left wondering are there people out there that love this gun and just have better things to do than color the internet with their stories? Anybody? 1800 bucks is a lot to spend on something that may turn out to be a flop. If not a SBE 3 then what would you all recommend? Thank you guys for your wisdom and insight. I am just trying to understand if the negative press is founded or not.

Post subject: Re: Thinking about a SBE 3
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:28 pm 
Crown Grade

jmmiller41385 wrote:
Long story short I am looking to buy a good semi auto to waterfowl and turkey hunt with. I duck hunt from a drift boat and turkey hunt running mountains. I hunt with guys who swear by their superblack eagle 2's. I really would like to get a superblack eagle 3 but I am concerned I am going to get a lemon. All I can find on the internet are people's horror stories. So after filling my head with horror stories of terrible patterning, I am left wondering are there people out there that love this gun and just have better things to do than color the internet with their stories? Anybody? 1800 bucks is a lot to spend on something that may turn out to be a flop. If not a SBE 3 then what would you all recommend? Thank you guys for your wisdom and insight. I am just trying to understand if the negative press is founded or not.

Beretta Xtreme Plus.
Gas operated and KO really reduce recoil.
Macks Prarie Wings had them on sale.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

My buddy’s go to gun is a SBE2. Are those no longer available?

Remington 870 Super Magnum Turkey
Remington V3 Walnut
Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:25 pm 
Crown Grade

[quote="Tidefanatic"]My buddy’s go to gun is a SBE2. Are those no longer available?[/quo

Used

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:29 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

jmmiller41385 wrote:
. I am just trying to understand if the negative press is founded or not.

It is.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:40 pm 
Crown Grade

How about a V3 Waterfowl Pro for approximately 50% ($950) of the Benelli? 3 inch only not 3.5 inch. That leaves you a bunch of money to buy some great and expensive loads for waterfowl.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_inf ... +12%2f28mc

http://randywakeman.com/Review2019Remin ... owlPro.htm

Or a FABARM Waterfowler for about $400 less than the Benelli. Here is a review of it. 3 inch only not 3.5 inch.

http://randywakeman.com/FabarmXLR5Water ... artTwo.htm

How about a Retay Waterfowl gun? This is a 3.5 inch gun.

http://randywakeman.com/PreviewRetayMas ... fowler.htm

As shocking and blasphemous to some to say it; there are equal, if not better choices for a waterfowl gun than Benelli or Beretta guns.

However, there are those that will automatically say that those guns listed are no good because Randy Wakeman liked them. I am not in that crowd. Good luck!

Last edited by oyeme on Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:59 pm 
Field Grade

Please see: https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 1&t=459731

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

jmmiller41385 wrote:

Are you going to shoot 3.5 inch shells? If not and you like Benelli, drop down to M2. Only the SBE3 has the shoot high issue. If you want inertia 3.5 look to Retay new or shop for a used Black Eagle. They are not hard to find. There are lots more options than when the SBE came on the scene for 3.5 inch waterfowl guns. I shoot a Fabarm Waterfowler now and use my Benelli M1 as a back up gun.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:37 pm 
Utility Grade

carnivore thanks for the link to the other thread. That information was very beneficial.

I think I am going to explore some other options. No hate towards Benelli or Benelli owners or the Super Black Eagle 3. I will direct some questions about other brands in their appropriate forums. Thanks everybody for your time and input.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:38 pm 
Field Grade

Best of luck in your quest. Let us know what you decide. As outlined in the post linked above, I had an initial POI issue that was rectified...love mine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:21 pm 
Utility Grade

I have been shooting a SBE II for years now and I bought my son a SBE III three years ago. Both of these guns have digested cases of 3” and 3.5” waterfowl loads without any problems. We also use the same guns to shoot sporting clays and have shot cases of 1oz. 3 dram loads without any malfunctions. It doesn’t matter what gun you pic you will find somebody who posts a horror story. I love the benelli SBE line because of the ability of adjusting stock to shooter, changing length of pull with removable recoil pads and very little muzzle rise with the stock design.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:35 pm 
Field Grade

Take a look at the Franchi Affinity 3.0 or 3.5. Solid guns made in the Benelli Factory

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:43 pm 
Utility Grade

SBE 2 or Browning A5 or Beretta A400 plus. I'll never touch an SBE3 again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

If you look at other guns, look for an SBE2 or take a look at the Fabarm guns, also the Remington V3 Waterfowl Pro. V3 is a terrific platform.

Remington 870 Super Magnum Turkey
Remington V3 Walnut
Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)