ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Supernova Tactical action
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Good evening,

I have recently purchased a supernova for home defense. Idk if I’ve been shouldering a gun incorrectly for 30 years or if this thing is a pos. When shouldering I suck the gun into my shoulder with some pressure pulling back on the forend and lean forward. However after each shot, in order to work the action I have to push the forend forward then pull it back and it will operate. Anybody else experience this? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Supernova Tactical action
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Are you actually firing the gun or dry fire only? I think that should take care of itself by the recoil when you are actually firing the gun. It is just like the Winchester Model 12 in that regard. I have a SuperNova and never had any issues with its use.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:56 pm 
Field Grade

I hunt ducks with 1, never noticed any problem & I also use pumps by Remington, Mossberg, Winchester & Browning. Never noticed a problem with this 1, it’s a great gun for what it is.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:54 am 
Utility Grade

I first noticed it when firing live rounds. However, it also does it when dry firing. Is it normal to pull back on the forend to “suck” it into your shoulder? I’ve always shot like this. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:10 pm 
Field Grade

I shot the Remington and Mossberg over this past weekend, but not the Benelli. But I thought about this when shooting them, and I noticed that when the bolt was locked into battery, you are correct, the slide would not pull back. Once fired, it pulled back no problem, with I think a slight assist from the recoil, and I am so used to it, I don't think about it anymore. Every pump action I've shot has done that, I presume because otherwise, the slightest nudge on the slide would pull the bolt out of battery & cause the gun not to fire (or maybe even worse). I wouldn't even have noticed it, other than trying to figure out an answer to this. But I think that's what it is, it needs the slightest nudge forward as otherwise you would risk taking it out of battery unintentionally--the Remington 870 & Mossberg 500 both did that (yes, I like pump guns), so it is nothing specific to the Super Nova or your particular example of it. I bought my Super Nova third-hand, & really like it, it is my go-to for waterfowl hunting, over all the others.