ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A couple of Benelli type, inertia system questions.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:23 am 
Diamond Grade

I have "new to me" used gun fever pretty bad. I've never owned an inertia gun. Trying to talk myself into my first inertia toy, even though I don't need one. I Have posted a couple other inertia gun inquiries in the past...but I have a couple of specific questions if you would.

1. If a Benelli, or Affinity 3, or similar action gun is accidentally knocked out of battery, and subject to the Benelli click phenomenon, can it be brought back into battery before the click occurs by pushing forward on the bolt handle? In other words, if a user periodically checks the bolt position, or periodically taps it forward just to be sure...say walking through heavy brush, or after having bumped the gun etc., will it still fire? Or does it have to be completely re-cocked again once it has been knocked out of battery initially?

2. If one is willing to pay for and feels the gain is significant enough, can the triggers be brought up to say, the level of decent pull and let off of say the currently produced V3? Or the Briley trigger jobs? Any idea of what that would cost? How good the final result would be?

3. What about the early H&K import Benelli inertia guns? Are they equal to the more current iterations? Any reason to avoid them? Parts available? Design improvements on the more current models? I know they are way less common, but occasionally pop up for sale.

I should add that I'm seekng a 20 ga., and I'd mostly be using the gun for small game and dove, and for very occasional clays fun and hunting practice just enough to stay comfortable with it. I'm a clays aficionado and dabble in NSCA, but rarely shoot sub guage NSCA.

I'm anxious for the arrival of the 20 ga. Retay, but very interested in an Affinity 3, M2, and Montefeltro as well.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Post subject: Re: A couple of Benelli type, inertia system questions.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

1. See answer here. https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... t=+Patents
Short answer is easy to check the gun if in battery and easy to put back in battery without complete cycling the bolt. I’ve had the click happen exactly one time as described in the link and I had my bolt handle lost and stripped out of the bolt pushing through brush and the gun never came out of battery. BTW an awl on your Swiss Army knife makes for a good temporary handle just to load and unload when this happens.
2. Precision Sports in Oshkosh WI or other gunsmith can tune a trigger if you like. Not sure on cost.

3. They are better in my opinion before the Benelli bean counters cheapened up the gun. My HK M1 super 90 has a MIM bolt return link. My Benelli USA Córdoba has stamped plates held together with rivets. Quite crude compared to the HK import. I feel like my older gun runs smoother too but it has seen a lot more shells than the newer gun.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thank you very much for the very, very, helpful information and your willingness to share your experience!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

Do check out the Retay. I have looked at demo guns. They are nice and the removable trigger and solid aluminum trigger guard are nice. Did you see Randy Wakemans video?

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 2&t=507356

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

>>and subject to the Benelli click phenomenon<<

Guess I'm just lucky, as in the 14 years I've been using my 12 ga. Sport ll for clays, I've never experienced this. I've also had two other Sport lls in 20 ga., and never a "click." :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

Yep, I've seen the videos. And just yesterday, I had the opportunity to handle a real, live, Retay. Unfortunately, it was a three and a half inch waterfowl model. So, it was not representative in terms of handling and weight of what I would be buying; a 20-gauge.

However, it did afford me the opportunity to examine it for fit, finish, and workmanship. I was impressed. There was nothing there that would prevent me from buying one.

I prefer to buy gently used. But in the case of a 20 gauge Retay, or any Retay for that matter, I might have to buy new.

I especially like the click free feature on the Retay. Ditto for the slim forend. By the way, is the recoil spring under the forend on the Retay or in the butt stock? I thought I read about that once but I don't recall. I may be mixing it up with another manufacturer.

I'm still trying to justify the purchase, but I'm getting there! Ha ha! I like the idea of carrying a very light 20 gauge around for squirrel and rabbit, even though I don't hunt them often. And although I I don't like spitting empty halls around the countryside, especially Dove hunting (my main hunting passion), I can adapt.

Thanks again for your input.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

Anyone worried about the “Benelli click” should just buy something else. It’s not worth losing any sleep or a moment’s concern.

If I had to pick one shotgun and had to get rid of all the others, my Benelli would be the one I’d pick.

Last edited by EricB on Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:17 pm 
Crown Grade

EricB wrote:
Anyone worried about the “Benelli click” should just buy something else. It’s not worth losing any sleep or a moment’s concern.

If I had to pick one shotgun and had to get rid of all the others, my Benelli would still be with me.

So why isn’t it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
EricB wrote:

If I had to pick one shotgun and had to get rid of all the others, my Benelli would still be with me.

So why isn’t it?

I collect shotguns. Dusting them gives me something to do when hunting season ends.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:34 pm 
Limited Edition

#3 I've had a H&K SBE since about 2006 and never experienced the Benelli click. I did have a problem replacing the recoil spring in that on some of the early guns there were not flats or a nut on the end of the recoil spring tube. I did get it figured out and posted about it here.
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 1&t=473286

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:24 pm 
Crown Grade

EricB wrote:

There you go, well said! I laugh about people fretting over internet hijinks.:-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

I had some bad luck with several new gas guns in a row that where eventually bought back by their manufacturers. I wanted to try an inertia gun but was hesitant because of all the talk about the click and the recoil. Then I went on my first waterfowl hunt and used my buddies SBE, I bought a Montefeltro the next week and haven't looked back. Soft shooting, light, slim, clean, reliable, very good shotgun.

Last edited by oldshotty on Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:09 pm 
Crown Grade

The Retay looks very interesting. I have a 12 ga Monte that I’ve used for all sorts of things for over 20 years. It’s one of my all time favorites.

I’ve used it as a loaner, nasty weather, waterfowl, and roosters....:-)