ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Two piece vs. one piece receiver?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:08 am 
Diamond Grade

Too much time on my hands today, so asking something I've wondered about for awhile. Not a critical or Earth shattering question, but I'm curious.

What was the idea behind Benelli (or whomever) designing some of their models with the two piece receiver, vs. their one piece version like the Montefeltro?

Is there an advantage other than the ease of cleaning and maintenance of the inside of the receiver?

Post subject: Re: Two piece vs. one piece receiver?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:41 am 
Diamond Grade

I don’t know the answer. I have some of both and see no performance difference, except as you say, easier cleaning, which is not a big deal, in my view.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have the Sport ll, and I much prefer the two piece receiver. I see no downside to it, and it greatly facilitates the cleaning process. I also have a Weatherby Element Deluxe in 20 ga. (Turkish) with a one piece receiver, and cleaning it is much more of a PITA, but that's just me. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:39 am 
Presentation Grade

Both will outlast most of us....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:17 am 
Diamond Grade

I suspect the two piece receiver is cheaper to make. You start out with two smaller hunks of aluminum and have easier machining operations and better access to the inside if it’s split in half and wide open to get tooling in. I greatly prefer the one piece M1 super 90 over my two piece Córdoba. From a take down and put back together perspective.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks to all for the replies thus far.

At some point, although I could do just fine without it, I will no longer be able to resist getting a new to me toy...my first inertia gun

And the reason, well simply, I just never have had an inertia gun yet! Several classic quality gas guns, but no inertia. I like to buy used and it will be a 20 ga.

So now I know a little more about them. A Montefeltro, M2, Affinity 3, or Retay would all work. Of course since they are newly introduced, a Retay might have to be bought new. By no means a bad purchase though. They seem to be quality items and are not expensive when compared to the competition.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:02 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Grouse Gunner wrote:
What was the idea behind Benelli (or whomever) designing some of their models with the two piece receiver, vs. their one piece version like the Montefeltro?

The two-piece receiver models are far more costly to manufacture.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

Have owned multiple versions of both (monte, Legacy, etc) and the only benefit i saw was MUCH easier cleaning. Looks are subjective but i liked the look.