ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20 gauge turkey tube
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:06 pm 
Field Grade

I have a 20 gauge Montefeltro that I plan on turkey hunting this spring. I only have the factory full tube and plan on patterning it this week with lead shot. ( 3" Mag, # 5's) Anyone have any luck with this combo ? If not, does anyone have an extended 20 gauge X-full turkey tube for sale ? (Used or new) Thanks

Post subject: Re: 20 gauge turkey tube
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a 20 ga. Nova and I tried several different turkey loads with the factory full choke and they were all terrible. I found a Primos Tightwad tube on sale for like $5 and it made a huge difference. I use Federal Heavyweight #7. Regardless, I would recommend some sort of upgrade from the factory choke. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:37 pm 
Crown Grade

I would call & check with Trulock chokes as they have done quite a bit of testing with various ammo types to see what works best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:49 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the info. Where can I find a Primos Tightwad for $5 ? I'll buy it sight unseen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:29 am 
Tournament Grade

johnnie g wrote:
Thanks for the info. Where can I find a Primos Tightwad for $5 ? I'll buy it sight unseen.

I can't remember where I got it. Most likely Walmart or Dick's. It's been several years. I don't think they are very expensive even at full price though. I spent quite a bit of time patterning different loads and the Primos did well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:40 am 
Crown Grade

Not by any means saying you can`t kill a turkey with a 20 gauge lead load, but I would just assume going with TSS for anything less than a 12 gauge. The ballistics are just too good. Yes, they don`t give them away but it`s not high volume shooting by any means. JMO also, I think the birds deserve the best we can throw at them. TSS is the best in everything below 12.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:15 pm 
Field Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
Not by any means saying you can`t kill a turkey with a 20 gauge lead load, but I would just assume going with TSS for anything less than a 12 gauge. The ballistics are just too good. Yes, they don`t give them away but it`s not high volume shooting by any means. JMO also, I think the birds deserve the best we can throw at them. TSS is the best in everything below 12.

Points well taken. I think that I'll buy a TSS choke & be done with it. Thank You !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:28 pm 
Crown Grade

johnnie g wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:

Points well taken. I think that I'll buy a TSS choke & be done with it. Thank You !

Good plan! Happy hunting!

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:52 am 
Tournament Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:

Totally agree. I used lead to pattern my gun and zero the sights I put on the rib of my Nova. Using TSS would be too expensive for that kind of work. I then tested with one shell of #7 heavyweight and the pattern was incredible.

I really like using a 20 for turkey b/c it's so much lighter and easy to carry. But I wouldn't use lead!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:41 pm 
Field Grade

Swarm turkey choke and Hevi Shot 6’s. Contact Clark Bush at allaboutshooting.com. His wife Doris has shot world record with that combo at the NWTF still board Turkey shoot.