ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SBE 3 - Shells hanging up on carrier
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 5:04 pm 
Utility Grade

I got an SBE 3 with approx 2000 shells through it. It started to randomly hang up when feeding the second and or third shell in a peculiar way. Shell one ejects cleanly, the shell carrier kicks shell 2 up, it seats well on the bolt face and then as the bolt is pushing forward to chamber the shell - it hangs up against the carrier. If you bump the bolt handle with your hand - it will shut. If you manually try to baby the bolt forward with your hand after ejecting the first round (by hand) you can kind of force this hang up to occur. Photo attached. I've got a safe full of Benelli's and this hang up is new to me. My intent was to just swap the recoil spring out with a Wolff +25% spring but I was curious what others thought. Any chance the carrier spring needs to get replaced also? I also considered the magazine spring as it almost seems like a action timing issue (when it occurs in real time, but the fact that I can manually recreate it somewhat negates that theory). I have cleaned and oiled this gun religiously after every use. I have even intentionally over oiled it and I can still recreate the problem. At the end of the day - i don't mind swapping every spring in the gun - I'm just looking for a second opinion here. What do you guys think?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: SBE 3 - Shells hanging up on carrier
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Have you taken the trigger out? Needs to be clean and lubed.
Remove trigger, spray with Gun Scrubber, let dry.
Spray with Break Free, let sit awhile.
Use an air compressor to blow off ALL excess oil and see if that fixes the problem.
Let us know?

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 1:29 pm 
Utility Grade

The trigger group is clean and has been removed and cleaned/oiled as you describe after every use of the gun. The only part of the gun that has never been cleaned/serviced is the recoil spring tube/assembly and the magazine tube spring. I figure if i am going to disassemble the butt stock - might as well replace it with a Wolff +25% spring while i am in there. I have been meaning to shim it down and re-pattern as well. Seems like as good of a time as any. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:54 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Why would you not send it to Benelli USA?

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Get it working BEFORE hunting season, not after it starts!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 5:04 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I've always had extremely fast turnaround from Benelli USA. Who hasn't?

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 5:15 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
I've always had extremely fast turnaround from Benelli USA. Who hasn't?

I won and SBE at a DU banquet.
Never could get it to function with 1 1/8 oz loads.
Sent it in, don’t remember how long it took, but it was never fixed.
Still wouldn’t eject STS, AA, or Fed Gold Medals.
I was the DU banquet chairman and was on stage when my goose band was drawn.
Everyone yelled “fixed”, it wasn’t and I won the gun in a raffle. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:31 pm 
Utility Grade

My experience with Benelli USA has been hit or miss. If they cannot recreate the issue quickly they just return the gun. I honestly don't blame them for that. I don't expect them to sit there and put 4 boxes of shells through the gun trying to recreate a problem. Given this is a really intermittent and random issue I don't have a ton of faith in Benelli to address it 100%. If i cannot get it addressed myself, I will likely send it to Rob Roberts and pay him to go through the action before i would send it to Benelli directly.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:37 am 
Presentation Grade

colemac4 wrote:
My experience with Benelli USA has been hit or miss. If they cannot recreate the issue quickly they just return the gun. I honestly don't blame them for that. I don't expect them to sit there and put 4 boxes of shells through the gun trying to recreate a problem. Given this is a really intermittent and random issue I don't have a ton of faith in Benelli to address it 100%. If i cannot get it addressed myself, I will likely send it to Rob Roberts and pay him to go through the action before i would send it to Benelli directly.

^^^^This!