ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeking input from Ultra Light fans (or haters)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:54 am 
Field Grade

An old old elbow injury appears to be catching up with me - most noticeably when I carry during long days of upland hunting. I have lighter weight guns in the sub-gauges (Ithaca, Franchi), but I'm considering the Ultra Light 12 gauge for pheasant and maybe chukar hunting.

I have read many online reviews and the most common negative comments are harsh recoil and too light/whippy causing over-swing on targets. Frankly, haven't seen many "I love this gun" comments.

I'm looking insight/advice from those with experience with this gun - good, bad or otherwise.

Should mention that I use an M2 for waterfowl and love it for this application, but my elbow is not appreciating it so much during upland hunts. Also, never been recoil sensitive to any gun, but maybe this gun is in a league all it's own?

Appreciate your help with this!

Post subject: Re: Seeking input from Ultra Light fans (or haters)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

what about a sling for the m2?

all my duck guns have had slings and i'm tempted to put some on bird guns as our new pup is a pointer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:10 pm 
Field Grade

I use a sling for waterfowling since I'm in and around water a lot. I'm guessing you know why I never set up or take down deeks without the gun slung on my shoulder - ha ha!

For slightly different reasons, I prefer to keep the gun unslinged position while hunting upland. Ya just never know! I do keep a lightweight sling on the gun while chukar hunting since I'm in the cliffs and talus.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

sure enough, when ducking the gun never leaves my side. seems like the moment you drop waders to take a leak or walk out to adjust a decoy birds show up.

this will be my first season doing upland with my own dog and unsure about the sling idea. seems like it would be safer and easier with one but i guess missing out on a bumped bird would suck pretty bad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

i have the m2 and recently shouldered the 20ga UL. Really like the ramped rib and light weight. i think it's a great option.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:02 am 
Limited Edition

I only use them for upland so I shoot 2 3/4. Never shot a 3" out of them. For upland of course they're carried a lot and shot occasionally and for this recoil is not an issue IMO. Started with a 20 and liked it so much got a 12. It is the one I grab if walking and carrying all day. Tore my left bicep (forearm holding side) so I appreciate the light weight even more if I have to hold the gun for very long (walking). If I used one for ducks with heavy loads I think it would be okay recoil wise depending on how many shots in a day. Probably would not want to shoot it with heavy loads if I was going to shoot a lot and I usually don't mind a bit of recoil. Overall I would highly recommend one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:49 am 
Field Grade

Thanks to you both for taking the time to provide suggestions to my questions!

Hope to hear more from folks that have any experience with the Ultra Light.