ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Benelli Montefeltro LH Quirks
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:25 am 
Field Grade

I purchased my first Left Hand gun in 30 years. My last one was a Remington 1100. That gun was a mirror image of the Right hand gun. The new Montefeltro is a little different. The bolt release and the shell drop button are on the right side of the gun and the bolt and ejection port is on the left . I have been shooting Right handed guns converted to left hand safety and I find this kind of strange. I really didn't notice until I arrived him and unboxed it. I haven't fired it yet and I am not sure how this will affect the loading and unloading.
Has anyone had issues with this.

Browning BPS 12 gauge 26 , Winchester SX4 12 gauge 26 and 28, Mossberg Silver Reserve II 20 gauge 26, Remington 1100 IT 20 26 with Tru chokes. AYA 20 GAUGE Side by side 26. Stoeger M3000 12 gauge Shadow Grass Blades 28

Post subject: Re: Benelli Montefeltro LH Quirks
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:30 am 
Crown Grade

As a LH who has only shot RH semis, I hold the gun by the wrist in my LH and uae my right to load the magazine, the chamber and release the bolt. Seems to be a lot friendlier for LH folks than RH ones.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:03 am 
Limited Edition

My one gripe with Benelli is their LH guns aren't mirror images of the RH guns. When I load mine what I do depends on which side my shells are coming from. If pulling shells from the left side I lay the gun flat on my right hand, load with my left then reach around and hit the bolt release with the middle finger on my left hand, then load the mag with the left hand. If I'm grabbing shells from the right I keep my left hand on the grip of the stock, rotate the gun slightly to the side so I can drop the shells in the chamber and hit the release with my RH thumb, then I roll the gun back vertical and load the mag.

When I had my LH A400 it was nice having the bolt release on the left side but even with the oversized Briley button it wasn't much faster than the stock Benelli setup once you got used to it.

Only thing you have to be careful of with the Benelli is if you have the bolt open and you lay the gun down on a hard surface I have had the release get pushed enough to shut the bolt. Not a big deal as long as the barrel is on but if you're in the process of cleaning the gun it can be bad to have the bolt drop without the barrel on because the bolt handle will hit the front of the ejection port and can cause damage.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:24 am 
Crown Grade

If only there was an auto with a bottom bolt release, then it would be good for both.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:35 pm 
Field Grade

Well my first day worked out great. A morning Goose hunt and we saw 3 and I nailed
2. After we threw some clays with a hand thrower and I used everything from brand new 1 1/8 8s to 1977 stuff we found in an old box. Everything cycled perfectly and after about 30 shots never felt a thing. The lightness of the gun surprised everyone and since I have been using right hand guns the set up with a bit of leftie and rightie controls was not an issue. I am pretty happy with the Monty so far.

Browning BPS 12 gauge 26 , Winchester SX4 12 gauge 26 and 28, Mossberg Silver Reserve II 20 gauge 26, Remington 1100 IT 20 26 with Tru chokes. AYA 20 GAUGE Side by side 26. Stoeger M3000 12 gauge Shadow Grass Blades 28

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:04 pm 
Crown Grade

McFarmer wrote:
If only there was an auto with a bottom bolt release, then it would be good for both.

Remington 1100

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:49 pm 
Limited Edition

oneounceload wrote:
McFarmer wrote:

Remington 1100

The bolt release button on the Winchester 1400 was the follower in the mag tube.

My favorite setup is the Speed Load feature that Browning has on their autos. When I was shooting my Gold I never used the bolt release unless I wanted to close the bolt on an empty chamber.