ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Benelli M2 Field 20 ga
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just bought this gun, awesome in every way except loading the magazine[. Randy brought this up in his review. My question: is there a way to reduce the effort required to insert the shells, shot four rounds of skeet and my right thumb is really sore. Will it get easier as the gun is used or maybe different shells (using Herter's at the moment) any help here would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Benelli M2 Field 20 ga
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

i've not noticed tightness loading but the thumb bite thing is for real. you can mitigate it by pushing your thumb knuckle up into the ramp a bit as you load. this helps keep the end of the ramp from biting your thumb.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:52 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Manny Clothakis wrote:
Just bought this gun, awesome in every way except loading the magazine[. Randy brought this up in his review. My question: is there a way to reduce the effort required to insert the shells, shot four rounds of skeet and my right thumb is really sore. Will it get easier as the gun is used or maybe different shells (using Herter's at the moment) any help here would be appreciated.

I sent mine back to Benelli and they adjusted it (hit it with a hammer) and it is improved.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:19 am 
Tournament Grade

I do not have a thumb bite issue with the loading process, it's the hard as hell to lock the shell in place while pushing the shell into the magazine. I wonder Randy what part did they hit with a hammer to get it to feed easier?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My 1100 28 ga LW and 20 ga LT both give me the “thumb bite” while loading

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:18 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Manny Clothakis wrote:
I do not have a thumb bite issue with the loading process, it's the hard as hell to lock the shell in place while pushing the shell into the magazine. I wonder Randy what part did they hit with a hammer to get it to feed easier?

I wrote an entire article called "It is a Great Shotgun... Eventually." The shell stop on the M2 makes it really painful to load shells into the magazine. Painful enough where getting through a box of shells is a sure-fire promininently painfully sore thumb. Benelli Customer Service told me to remove it and hit it with a hammer: it is a well-known issue. Well, I'm not trained in bashing at brand new guns with hammers, so I suggested that the Benelli gunsmiths do the hammering as they have far more experience than I with hammering on new guns. So, the gun went back to Benelli, they apparently beat it into submission, so although still on the stiff side, it is much improved.

So, when asked if a Benelli M2 20 gauge is a “good” gun, the answer is a bit more complicated than a simple yes or no. After you break off the center bead, have Benelli beat on the shell stop with a hammer, have Benelli lighten the ridiculously heavy trigger, toss the factory “Crio” flush tubes in the garbage, kill a lot of paper and end up with a Trulock Improved Modified Precision Hunter extended tube PHCRP20600 (.020 inch constriction) . . .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Nothing like an unbiased opinion:-)

I’ve bought three. They all worked fine as is. Everyone whose used them liked them fine. I’m down to one, as two others were ‘procured’ by two sons.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Other than the higher rib and the stock material, what are the differences between the M2 and the Montefeltro?

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:45 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

casonet wrote:
Other than the higher rib and the stock material, what are the differences between the M2 and the Montefeltro?

It is all on the Benelli website. You can add the Ultra Light to the mix as well. There are countless inertia shotguns out there with no significant functional differences . . . you can add in Weatherby Element models as well. Same standard, Civolani action.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

Better recoil pad on the M2, differently shaped forearm. Not sure there's much difference beyond that.

i look at Benellis like a parts bin that has the following parts-

1 piece receiver (m2, montefeltro, ultralight)
2 piece receiver (Legacy, Supersport, ethos, SBE)

flat rib barrel (montefeltro, some Ethos, Legacy)
ramped rib barrel (m2, SBE, some Ethos, Ultralight---similar to Browning they like to ruin a few guns by porting the raised rib barrels)

Long mag tube (all but ultralight)
Short mag tube (ultralight)

Everything they do, semi auto at least, is just a combo of those parts. Even the Bible talks about this in Ecclesiastes 1:9...'...there is nothing new under the sun'

(that last bit was just a touch of humor but truly explains benelli semi's)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:46 am 
Tournament Grade

Took her out last night for three rounds of skeet, getting a little easier to load, perhaps just getting broken in....this gun is a keeper.