ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MY expensive screw up !!!!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, I wanted to use the Briley Weighted end cap with extra weights on my Ethos Sport. I removed from packaging took of factory end cap and screwed on the Briley Weighted cap with extra weights.
Sweet , right?

I shot a 100 round clays tournament, did really well, our team came in second.

So, when I got home, I went to disassemble and clean like I always do after I shoot, sorry good habit. I removed the cap and I could NOT BUDGE the barrel !!!. I tried everything, it would not come apart by hand. I soaked it overnight in Kroil and being very careful used a padded mallet to whack it loose.

I called Benelli, they sent me a return label, then I contacted Briley and told them THEIR end cap broke my gun !!!!!!!

Benelli called said the "barrel hanger" was bent and I would need a new barrel. So I said just do it. So i'm out big bucks because of BRILEY's crappy end cap !!!!!

Not so fast fat boy !!! The Briley said something about the "Factory Benelli" end cap spring needed to be used with the Briley end cap. I got the Briley directions out and YES, there it was, in tiny print: Use the factory end cap spring with the new Briley set up DOH !!!!!

I called my poor guy at Briley and apologize for yelling at them but they needed to put this info in B I G printing on their instructions.

So New barrel on, rib is still loose at the rear as they all are. They sent me a rest target and it was shooting 60/40.

I haven't shot it since, waiting for it to cool off. EXPENSIVE LESSON LEARNED!!!

and on after thought, I might have been able to have a qualified gunsmith straighten the bent hanger but we'll never know.

:roll:

Post subject: Re: MY expensive screw up !!!!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ouch! Sorry to hear of your expensive lesson.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:33 pm 
Limited Edition

Ouch.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

Dang! That sucks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:39 am 
Crown Grade

OP said, "The Briley said something about the "Factory Benelli" end cap spring needed to be used with the Briley end cap. I got the Briley directions out and YES, there it was, in tiny print: Use the factory end cap spring with the new Briley set up DOH !!!!!

I think you are being too kind to Briley. I agree that vitally important instruction should be highlighted and put in several places to prevent what happened.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Buzzsawbenelli wrote:
Well, I wanted to use the Briley Weighted end cap with extra weights on my Ethos Sport. I removed from packaging took of factory end cap and screwed on the Briley Weighted cap with extra weights.
Sweet , right?

I shot a 100 round clays tournament, did really well, our team came in second.

So, when I got home, I went to disassemble and clean like I always do after I shoot, sorry good habit. I removed the cap and I could NOT BUDGE the barrel !!!. I tried everything, it would not come apart by hand. I soaked it overnight in Kroil and being very careful used a padded mallet to whack it loose.

I called Benelli, they sent me a return label, then I contacted Briley and told them THEIR end cap broke my gun !!!!!!!

Benelli called said the "barrel hanger" was bent and I would need a new barrel. So I said just do it. So i'm out big bucks because of BRILEY's crappy end cap !!!!!

Not so fast fat boy !!! The Briley said something about the "Factory Benelli" end cap spring needed to be used with the Briley end cap. I got the Briley directions out and YES, there it was, in tiny print: Use the factory end cap spring with the new Briley set up DOH !!!!!

I called my poor guy at Briley and apologize for yelling at them but they needed to put this info in B I G printing on their instructions.

So New barrel on, rib is still loose at the rear as they all are. They sent me a rest target and it was shooting 60/40.

I haven't shot it since, waiting for it to cool off. EXPENSIVE LESSON LEARNED!!!

and on after thought, I might have been able to have a qualified gunsmith straighten the bent hanger but we'll never know.

:roll:

How expensive was it?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

$500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ouch!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

That sucks... I agree with the posts that Briley is partially, maybe mostly, responsible for this. I can't believe they don't split the cost with you. I think the proof of their complicity will be a change to the instruction pamphlet to make it crystal clear to "Use the factory end cap spring with the new Briley set up". They will use bold print - possibly in red letters. It's nice to have the internet to expose things like this.

I was interested to see that your Ethos shoots 60/40. I have a Vinci sitting in a closet because it shoots too high for me to be effective with it. I bought it because I'm getting old an it's much lighter than my 'legacy' guns - SX1-30", M12s-30", etc. But it doesn't shoot to POA as my old guns do.

I want a new Ethos BE.S.T. But I hate to spend $2000 without knowing if it shoots to the moon or to POA. I think 60/40 is still too high for me. I leaves me with effective shot of 40%. I was hoping the 'flat' rib (is that the correct term?) of the Ethos would lower POI. Guess maybe not.

Good luck with your new gun. You did the right thing - sometimes we have to swallow hard and just move forward. If it helps, I did a $3K OOPS a couple of years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:59 am 
Field Grade

That sucks.. At least, thank you for sharing.

Law57,
I have the Ethos BE.S.T. version and love it, although I haven't had the chance to shoot any real hunting loads with it yet. The POI is just like my old SBEII and Vinci as long as the rib is flat when shooting. I did however, change out the OEM low rib to the high rib before even shooting it. I'm 6' 1" and guess I have a long neck. Even after changing shims to the D set, I was still having to dig my cheek into the comb. The new rib made all the difference, and I was able to go back to the standard C shims.
For reference, I used the C shims on my SBEII, but do need the D shim for my Vinci. In fact, if Benelli made a further 5* drop shim, I'd buy it.
All of my Benelli's have shot 60/40.