ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Experienced Benelli gunsmith answer needed about ejector
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:12 pm 
Field Grade

Hello all. I really need the advice of someone who is very familiar with repairing the 1st style super black eagle ejector plate. Not to sound rude, but I need more than the usual clean the gun and try different ammo answers of someone not intimately familiar with the ejector system. With that being said I am repairing my second ejector plate that broke on a super black eagle. The holes in the barrel extension where the hex set screws seat had become so peened out that the ejector plate eventually sheared away the edges of the set screw holes and the entire ejector plate came loose from the barrel extension. After observing underneath both of the set screw holes had gouges cut where the set screws drug backwards from the set screw holes cutting little trenches leaving away from the set screw holes. Fortunately, the trenches were not as deep as the set screw holes. The front screw was still snug in the ejector plate but it looks as though on a previous repair someone drilled and tapped the other hole for a slightly larger set screw. After cleaning and degreasing everything, I snugged down the original set screw and repaired larger set screw and the took the wiggle out of the ejector plate. However from research and experience they seem to get beat out shape again over time...especially with heavy recoiling 3 1/2 shells. So here is the repair I tried. I mixed up JB weld which I have had excellent results with on certain repairs. I used this to fill in the gouged trenches leaving away from each set hole. Let it harden slightly then took it down flat with the surface of the barrel extension so the gouges were filled to original height. I then installed the ejector plate, dribbled some jb weld into the bottom of the holes and set down the set screws tight. I figured this would fill any voids where the screw might have stretched the holes out a bit and also secure the set screws more firmly than red loctite. Only time and shooting will tell how long this repair will work. So my question after all this is does anyone have a better more permanent fix to these early style ejector plates? I realize one can drill and replace with bigger set screws but it seems to me this will ultimately fail as the original design. So ideas I have toyed with but not attempted would be drill not just a set screw blind hole, but to drill through the barrel extension and secure the ejector plate with a full length set screw that ran from the ejector plate surface all the way to the outer surface of the barrel extension and make sure it is filed flush. I also thought of solid steel pins in place of screws. Any experience out there on a more solid repair that will stand the test of time and recoil on the 1st style ejector plates? Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Experienced Benelli gunsmith answer needed about ejector
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:25 am 
Presentation Grade

Sorry for your failed ejector plate issue...I am not a gunsmith, but I am a former H&K imported SBE owner that had the same problem.

My gun went back twice to H&K under warranty for the same ejector plate problem...trouble was, the repair kept loosening up even with the factory applied red loctite!

My solution to owning a $1,000 single shot was to sell it (with full disclosure of the problem).

YMMV, but my solution allowed me to move on to other guns that did not let me down.

Post subject: Re: Experienced Benelli gunsmith answer needed about ejector
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:35 pm 
Field Grade

Can they be tig welded in place after the screwed are tightened?