ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SBE II vs SBEIII
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:53 pm 
Utility Grade

What is the actual difference between these 2 models. Considering a LH 26" barrel gun. Quality, versatility and carry weight are what I'm looking for.
Thanks Steve

Post subject: Re: SBE II vs SBEIII
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've never enjoyed a waterfowl gun more than I did my SBEII, but it was the longest tenured that I've ever owned. I am enjoying my newest SBE3 so far. I had an initial release SBE3 back in 2017 and it was one of those that shot abnormally high and left, this has definitely been fixed with these later release guns.

The SBE3 is about 5-6 ounces lighter and it has slightly improved ergonomics. Benelli claims to have solved the "Benelli Click" issue with the SBE3 and so far I have to agree, the bolt always closes fully in my experience. The comb and shoulder pad are supposed to reduce more recoil and be more comfortable, I can't really tell much of a difference, but I am not comparing both side by side either as I haven't had my SBEII in some years. I do like the bolt release on the SBE3 a lot more because it is much larger and easier to use with gloves.

There's nothing wrong with the SBEII but at this point I'd lean towards the SBE3 simply because you'll pay just as much for a new old stock SBEII if you can even find one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:59 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for your input. I've found a ,26" black, nib SBE II at a very good price. I would use the gun for upland birds. What is the "Benelli click ? " Does the earlier model not always close the bolt.?
On your original SBE III, did Benelli repair or replace the gun ?
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Per @Worc

"The "Benelli Click" is when the bolt accidently comes out of battery and the trigger is pulled. The hammer strikes the back of the bolt body and not the firing pin. The result is a gun that does not fire, but makes a noise when the hammer hits the bolt body and the magazine release is set off and a shell is released (If rounds in the magazine).

It can happen to other brands and designs, but is most common in Inertia opearted models with a rotary bolt face. The best way around having it not happen is to be aware of the possible issue. You can use the Wolffe +25% spring to help reduce it some. It won't eliminate it though, and it makes the action a little stiffer and even less reliable with lighter loads."

I only experienced it a few times over the course of 12-13 years with the original SBE and the SBE2. Once I know for certain that I knocked the bolt out of battery by hitting the bolt handle on the blind and another time I had my finger in the way and to interfered with the bolt as it closed and didn't go all the way home. Long story short, it rarely happens and it's also too easy to push against the back of the bolt handle while sitting there to insure that it's seated all the way should you be concerned. I've never experienced it with the Super Vinci or either of the SBE3's.

Benelli returned my original SBE3 claiming that they had fixed it to "within spec" but it was still too far off for my liking so I sold/traded it off. This new 2020 B.E.S.T. model has been aces.