ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Benelli mag tube
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:16 pm 
Crown Grade

I have a Benelli SS Performance Shop in 12 ga.
It is VERY difficult to put shells in the magazine tube.
Torn up 1 pair of gloves and chewing up the 2nd pair quickly!
How to fix??? A drop of oil didn’t help.

Post subject: Re: Benelli mag tube
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Different ammo;-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Dr Duk, Buy a Beretta!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself!!! :twisted: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:18 pm 
Crown Grade

oyeme wrote:
Dr Duk, Buy a Beretta!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself!!! :twisted: :lol:

My Multi Target is the same way!
My new Beretta should be here Friday!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Another ‘my new favorite shotgun’ in the way:-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:13 pm 
Crown Grade

Is this a problem for a gunsmith?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Dr Duk wrote:

No. They’ll just try some decent shells, and hand you a bill! ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:02 am 
Crown Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
Dr Duk wrote:

I used Herters, Federal, and Fiocchi.
All are difficult to insert.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:10 am 
Crown Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
Rooster booster wrote:
Dr Duk wrote:

In that case, turn them around, metal goes to the rear:-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:44 am 
Tournament Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
Rooster booster wrote:
Dr Duk wrote:

I can’t tell from your post where you are having difficulty loading. Is this the “Benelli thumb”? Are the shells difficult to push into the magazine tube?

Not to pile on, but I wouldn’t consider Herters or Fiocchi quality shells. I’m of the opinion that the gun should reasonably run any brand of shell. Thats the reputation that influenced my buying decision, anyway. Still, you might check dimensions on those shells and some Remington STS or Winchester AA. If nothing seems out of spec, then you can at least eliminate a variable.

Have you reached out to Benelli to ask for their suggestions before you send it in?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just another reason for me not to want a Benelli. Hard to load, sometimes clicks when you pull the trigger, shoots high and left when it does go off, and kicks the snot out of you. Oh, and I forgot, Benelli charges a premium price for all that. El Paso.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:00 am 
Crown Grade

AJ-M12 wrote:
Dr Duk wrote:
Rooster booster wrote:
Dr Duk wrote:

I can’t tell from your post where you are having difficulty loading. Is this the “Benelli thumb”? Are the shells difficult to push into the magazine tube?

Yes!

Not to pile on, but I wouldn’t consider Herters or Fiocchi quality shells. I’m of the opinion that the gun should reasonably run any brand of shell. Thats the reputation that influenced my buying decision, anyway. Still, you might check dimensions on those shells and some Remington STS or Winchester AA. If nothing seems out of spec, then you can at least eliminate a variable.

Have you reached out to Benelli to ask for their suggestions before you send it in?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

lossking wrote:
Just another reason for me not to want a Benelli. Hard to load, sometimes clicks when you pull the trigger, shoots high and left when it does go off, and kicks the snot out of you. Oh, and I forgot, Benelli charges a premium price for all that. El Paso.
It’s pretty easy for you, then. Don’t buy one and move along.

Post subject: Benelli mag tube
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:47 am 
Tournament Grade

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:33 pm 
Crown Grade

This sounds like a case of the Benelli thumb; not to be confused with the Benelli click. I think Randy has discussed this in the past. Maybe he will come on line and answer your concerns.

It is discussed at length in various forums. Here is what I found and hope it helps. The pictures that go along with the description were no longer available.

"1) - Grab a single shell with your thumb, index and middle finger. I find it easiest to have my index finger at the end of the shell, my thumb in the middle, and using the side of my middle finger as support.

2) - Push the shell up into the lifter, but not INTO the tube, holding it in place with your index finger. Your index finger should be on the front of the shell, up against the receiver, and the shell should be snug up against the follower. The lifter is totally pushed up at this point, and your thumb is not really doing anything yet.

3) - While still pressing the shell up into the lifter with your index finger on the front, put your thumb flush as possible against the lower half of the shell. Start to push the shell into the tube, keeping your thumb face perpendicular to the receiver and flush with the lower half of the shell.

4) - Push the shell all the way in, letting off the shell with your index finger to make way for your thumb. Again, keep your thumb straight and your thumb face perpendicular to the receiver; you want to keep your entire thumb rigid for the duration of the push. The idea is to make the shell move, while keeping your thumb rigid, acting as an extension of your arm. Your entire arm pushes the shell in, it is just your thumb that contacts the shell.

5) - Do not over push. Your thumb should never enter the tube. This is where the problem comes from, if your thumb face is perpendicular to the receiver, this cannot happen. Your thumb will hit the receiver and prevent it from happening. Keep in mind that in this position, the end of the lifter is now resting on the tip of your thumb.

6) - Pull your thumb away clean for another shell, letting the lifter down that was previously resting on the tip of your thumb. With this method, the lifter has no chance of crushing your nail/joint when you pull out, as your thumb was never in the tube to begin with.

Keep your thumb rigid, straight, and perpendicular to the receiver. Move your hand as a solid motion, don't bend your thumb at it's lowest joint. Stop pushing once the shell is into the tube, as you do not want your thumb entering the tube."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:52 pm 
Crown Grade

oyeme wrote:
This sounds like a case of the Benelli thumb; not to be confused with the Benelli click. I think Randy has discussed this in the past. Maybe he will come on line and answer your concerns.

It is discussed at length in various forums. Here is what I found and hope it helps. The pictures that go along with the description were no longer available.

"1) - Grab a single shell with your thumb, index and middle finger. I find it easiest to have my index finger at the end of the shell, my thumb in the middle, and using the side of my middle finger as support.

2) - Push the shell up into the lifter, but not INTO the tube, holding it in place with your index finger. Your index finger should be on the front of the shell, up against the receiver, and the shell should be snug up against the follower. The lifter is totally pushed up at this point, and your thumb is not really doing anything yet.

3) - While still pressing the shell up into the lifter with your index finger on the front, put your thumb flush as possible against the lower half of the shell. Start to push the shell into the tube, keeping your thumb face perpendicular to the receiver and flush with the lower half of the shell.

4) - Push the shell all the way in, letting off the shell with your index finger to make way for your thumb. Again, keep your thumb straight and your thumb face perpendicular to the receiver; you want to keep your entire thumb rigid for the duration of the push. The idea is to make the shell move, while keeping your thumb rigid, acting as an extension of your arm. Your entire arm pushes the shell in, it is just your thumb that contacts the shell.

5) - Do not over push. Your thumb should never enter the tube. This is where the problem comes from, if your thumb face is perpendicular to the receiver, this cannot happen. Your thumb will hit the receiver and prevent it from happening. Keep in mind that in this position, the end of the lifter is now resting on the tip of your thumb.

6) - Pull your thumb away clean for another shell, letting the lifter down that was previously resting on the tip of your thumb. With this method, the lifter has no chance of crushing your nail/joint when you pull out, as your thumb was never in the tube to begin with.

Keep your thumb rigid, straight, and perpendicular to the receiver. Move your hand as a solid motion, don't bend your thumb at it's lowest joint. Stop pushing once the shell is into the tube, as you do not want your thumb entering the tube."

OMG! Finally some useful info? Thanks. I’ll give it a try when I get back.
Head to So Dak in the morning! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:28 pm 
Crown Grade

You’ll have changed guns 12 times by then:-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:37 am 
Crown Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
You’ll have changed guns 12 times by then:-)

No, only bringing 8 guns to So Dak! 8)