ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SBE3 B.E.S.T or not?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:58 pm 
Utility Grade

I've been shooting an SBE for the last 14 years without issue. Only item I'm not pleased with is the 26" barrel but it was all that was available at the time of my purchase. The gun has preformed without issue since day one. Every few years I consider a new one but can't come up with enough reason to do so.

Last week a close friend asked me to help source him a new waterfowl autoloader. I instantly thought SBE3. But after some research I'm a little confused and looking for input. On Benelli's site they list the standard model in a number of finish options as well as the BEST in black. But when I look on the gun auction sites there are a number of listings for the camo stock with a tungsten/ cerakote finish on the action & barrel. But that is not on the Benelli site so was that an option they stopped producing?

50% of my duck hunting is on PNW coastal marshes. A number of years ago my hunting partner brought a buddy with a new 870 Express that was showing a ton of rust on it before we got back to the truck. Only issue I've had with my SBE is a few small rust spots on the bolt that are easily removed with toothpaste.

I could easily see myself keep shooting my current SBE for the foreseeable future so if I do buy a new one it would most likely be my last dedicated waterfowl rig. That being said I would think going with the BEST is the right choice but would love input from anyone more in "the know". In the end the BEST is only $400 more so I figure why not...

Thank you in advance for any and all helpful information and details.

Post subject: Re: SBE3 B.E.S.T or not?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

I love mine. I hunt the coast most of the time so the BEST/PVD finish gives me peace of mind. I haven't had much of an issue with the dipped/wrapped guns in the past but the BEST model has the coating on a lot of the little parts as well and is guaranteed for 25 years so I figured it was a worthy upgrade. I'd keep your original SBE as a backup/loaner. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about the gun.

The cerakaote models are limited run guns for certain distributors.