ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20 Gauge Benelli 828U
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:15 pm 
Limited Edition

Despite the many negative comments I have read about the Benelli 828U I decided that I just had to find out for myself what this new gun is really like. I figured after being out for 5 years any bugs that were in the 12 gauge would no longer be in the 20 that came out in 2020. I'm sure glad I have one of these 20 gauge shotguns. I have been shooting it at skeet for two weeks and just love it.
I am old, a FFL dealer/gunsmith and have tried too many shotguns to count. In my opinion the 828U is a giant step forward.

Out of the box it was OK for 7/8 and 3/4 oz. skeet loads. I felt the recoil was moderate and easily tolerable. I ordered a set of skeet chokes from Briley to use the second week. Also I read the manual carefully and set up the butt stock to fit me using the supplied shims. I took the trigger out and removed the automatic safety actuating spring, very easy with a good you tube video and the manual. My second week shooting the gun was no felt recoil at all, it must have been there but the gun was just so much fun to shoot I didn't really have any discomfort

The top lever that cocks the strikers and opens the gun takes a different approach to operate easily. I had watched Randy Wakeman's early review of the gun and noticed he opened the 828U with his left hand, that makes it easy to do. The shells do get a little raised spot on them as they are expanded into a little hole in the chamber to activate the ejectors. I reloaded the same shells that had been fired in the gun for the second week and they worked fine.

The soft comb is a real plus as I can get my head down hard on the stock and not feel any hurt.

My 20 gauge gun came in weighing 5 pounds 6.7 ounces on a digital postal scale. This new designed O/U is very innovative in many ways. It would be a great upland gun with 7/8 ounce loads, I'm just having fun in my old age trying something new that works well for me. Thanks Benelli.

Post subject: Re: 20 Gauge Benelli 828U
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Great! I really like the 828. Haven’t bought one yet but will eventually. Glad you posted your findings.