ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why Benelli over Beretta semi for Sporting Clays?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:18 am 
Tournament Grade

Going a new direction this year as I am restarting up Sporting Clays for 2021. I had a very nice CG that I just sold and now want a matching 12 20 semi-autos. Only a few options for this. Years ago, I had an Remington 1100 competition 12 and wish I would have never sold it. It was the lightest shooting 12 I have ever shot. So why would I want a Benelli over a Beretta since the Benelli is Inertia and is supposed to kick worse than gas? I also am wondering if any top shooters are using Benellis? It is hard to try guns out in winter in Michigan. Fitting is also an issue for me as a tall narrow face that needed a, ( O/U) 4 3/4 poi cast stock. I know I can maybe have a custom stock made but that might not work for some autos. Open to all suggestions..thanks

Post subject: Re: Why Benelli over Beretta semi for Sporting Clays?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:33 am 
Tournament Grade

You wouldn't - I can't think of any hard-core SC shooters (either pro or amateur) that use a Benelli. Benelli makes wonderful hunting guns (I have one), but the inertia system results in more perceived recoil over a gas gun. Get a Beretta A400 Xcel (not Xplor, that's the hunting version and is very lightweight) in 12 and 20 and don't look back. The 20 will be lighter than the 12 but you can buy aftermarket forend and stock weights if you feel a need to get them the same weight. Shoot them first...

With regard to fit, pretty much all modern semi-autos, including Benelli and Beretta, are very adjustable for both drop/cast and LOP with the provided shims and the multitude of different thickness recoil pads available. No real need for a custom stock, a little experimenting/tweaking is fun. Plenty of forum posts and youtube videos to show you how.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

Perdiz wrote:
You wouldn't - I can't think of any hard-core SC shooters (either pro or amateur) that use a Benelli. Benelli makes wonderful hunting guns (I have one), but the inertia system results in more perceived recoil over a gas gun. Get a Beretta A400 Xcel (not Xplor, that's the hunting version and is very lightweight) in 12 and 20 and don't look back. The 20 will be lighter than the 12 but you can buy aftermarket forend and stock weights if you feel a need to get them the same weight. Shoot them first...

With regard to fit, pretty much all modern semi-autos, including Benelli and Beretta, are very adjustable for both drop/cast and LOP with the provided shims and the multitude of different thickness recoil pads available. No real need for a custom stock, a little experimenting/tweaking is fun. Plenty of forum posts and youtube videos to show you how.

Thanks Perdiz. Any thoughts on Fabarm l45 or xlr5? I know they don't have a matching 20 but they look very nice.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:53 pm 
Crown Grade

OP: I am pretty sure you would like either the XLR5 or L4S Sporting models but getting your hands on one to try will be the biggest challenge. They have a superior build and IMO an excellent shotgun plus they have very good customer service.

I suspect your best chance to handle one would be from a fellow shooter. You could also try calling FABARM and ask if there are any in stock guns in your area. Good luck in your search.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

oyeme wrote:
OP: I am pretty sure you would like either the XLR5 or L4S Sporting models but getting your hands on one to try will be the biggest challenge. They have a superior build and IMO an excellent shotgun plus they have very good customer service.

I suspect your best chance to handle one would be from a fellow shooter. You could also try calling FABARM and ask if there are any in stock guns in your area. Good luck in your search.

I called Pat's shop over in Lake Orion, and they have demos there. So I will head over there and try both the A440 and the Fabarms..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:34 am 
Diamond Grade

You would not want a benelli for volume sporting. Recoil matters.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Perdiz. Any thoughts on Fabarm l45 or xlr5? I know they don't have a matching 20 but they look very nice.[/quote]

I don't have any real experience with them. The couple I have handled seem solidly built, one of the guys I shoot with just got a lightly used left-handed model with an adjustable comb and high rib that looks nice. I don't think (emphasis on think...) they have the variety of spacers, pre-fit recoil pads, forend weights and other adjustment factors that the Berettas do, but could be wrong.

Just as an example of such things, my A400 Xcel has a Briley weight on the front, a Briley oversized bolt closer (a must-have IMO for clays), and a Beretta 0.5" spacer paired with 0.25" grind to fit spacer and a pre-fit Limbsaver recoil pad on the back. The Limbsaver is slightly thicker than the thickest pre-fit Beretta recoil pad. And the Beretta 65mm shim installed. I'm slightly larger than your normal shooter... :?

I had to make my own 0.5" spacer for my Benelli M1.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Perdiz wrote:
Thanks Perdiz. Any thoughts on Fabarm l45 or xlr5? I know they don't have a matching 20 but they look very nice.

I don't have any real experience with them. The couple I have handled seem solidly built, one of the guys I shoot with just got a lightly used left-handed model with an adjustable comb and high rib that looks nice. I don't think (emphasis on think...) they have the variety of spacers, pre-fit recoil pads, forend weights and other adjustment factors that the Berettas do, but could be wrong.

Just as an example of such things, my A400 Xcel has a Briley weight on the front, a Briley oversized bolt closer (a must-have IMO for clays), and a Beretta 0.5" spacer paired with 0.25" grind to fit spacer and a pre-fit Limbsaver recoil pad on the back. The Limbsaver is slightly thicker than the thickest pre-fit Beretta recoil pad. And the Beretta 65mm shim installed. I'm slightly larger than your normal shooter... :?

I had to make my own 0.5" spacer for my Benelli M1.[/quote]

Do you know where to send the gun for Mods? I live in Michigan.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:21 pm 
Limited Edition

Tronspace can do just about anything you might want for a SA. He’s in MI.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Flyingtargets! wrote:

THANK YOU...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:10 pm 
Limited Edition

senoiaslim wrote:
Flyingtargets! wrote:

THANK YOU...

Good luck, good shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I find it interesting that so many folks poo poo the Benelli because of supposed recoil, but nobody seems to find that a problem with over & unders. I have other gas guns and don't find the difference in recoil vs. my Benelli to amount to a hill of beans. Guess that's just me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:27 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a 12g Benelli Super Sport II that I often use for clays. Why? Easy to clean and cycles everything I put in it - from 1145fps, 1200fps, 1 oz, 7/8 oz, reloads, all brands - never an issue.

I also have a 20g A400 that is an easy shooter too.

Check them all out and get the one that you like - can't go wrong with either.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:43 pm 
Limited Edition

I've been using my M2 for hunting and clays for years and it suits me just fine. I had an A400 Xplor for a year and it was nice also but I couldn't get the gun to ever fit me the way I like. The A400 had a bit less recoil than the Benelli but the Benelli isn't really even that bad. The M2 is pretty nice shooting with 7/8oz loads and was really soft shooting with the 3/4oz I experimented with(gun actually cycled them too).

I thought about going to an O/U(especially with the current political climate)but haven't made the switch yet. I might just buy an O/U and put it in the back of the safe and see what happens. Recoil wise, I think the O/U guns I've shot are similar to the Benelli, except for the Cynergy CX I tried which had less felt recoil but was a heavier gun.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

RUT wrote:
I find it interesting that so many folks poo poo the Benelli because of supposed recoil, but nobody seems to find that a problem with over & unders. I have other gas guns and don't find the difference in recoil vs. my Benelli to amount to a hill of beans. Guess that's just me.
. My Blackeagle two recoils like a twenty gauge, ugliest gun on the planet but has never let me down . I'm still shooting while my buddy is cleaning his gas system.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:28 am 
Presentation Grade

If Benelli offered the SuperSport without porting I'd own one. Until then I'll stick with Beretta.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:10 am 
Crown Grade

I don’t own a Beretta, so I have to use a Benelli.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:39 am 
Tournament Grade

I shot an M1 for several years in SC competition. I liked it and did well with it. As I have heard it said....a Benelli will shoot dirty but they won’t shoot dry......is pretty much true especially in cold weather. I moved on to a 391 with mercury in the stock and a Briley weighted cap and didn’t look back. The extra weight really smoothed out my swing and the reduction in recoil made a difference. Unlike live birds, clay targets rarely change direction so a heavy gun is a significant asset.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:08 pm 
Field Grade

Well I just ordered a Super Sport for sporting clays.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

PJR wrote:
If Benelli offered the SuperSport without porting I'd own one. Until then I'll stick with Beretta.

I agree that the ported bbls turn me off.