ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Red Label KRLG Reliability Test
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:08 pm 
Limited Edition

I'd say 80% of them are good guns. There is always the risk of getting one that is problematic. But Ruger will fix it. It's just the inconvenience. I've had 4 red labels and one gave me problems until Ruger fixed it for me. I love my 20 ga Ruger Sporting model with 30 in barrels and Briley extended chokes. It's a shooter all day long with no problems whatsoever. FWIW Grade6man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:39 am 
Field Grade

Have been away for awhile but back with a report on my RRL. Round count is near 2000. I kept good count up to 1500 but then became a bit lazy as gun has performed flawlessly. I did lose the mid-rib bead last week while at the range. Contacted Ruger about a replacement and they are sending one out immediately, no charge. Only a $3 part but response was impressive. The gun is a mid-7500 serial number and first fired in December 2014.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:55 am 
Field Grade

I haven't posted in a while because the RL has been functioning well with no issues. Haven't done a lot of shooting this summer but the round count is up to 1673.

Niemand, the mid rib bead just fell out? How is it attached? Is it glued or screwed? I'll keep an eye on mine.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:19 am 
Field Grade

Round count is now at 1775. Gun is shooting very well and is nicely broken in. Also, shot my first 25 straight in skeet with this gun today. It can be done!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:36 pm 
Limited Edition

Good post nickd92. I love all the Red Labels I have ever owned. Congrats on a straight in skeet. My 20 gauge sporting model is my favorite. wish I would have held unto my black synthetic with the stainless barrels. It was a great gun.. FWIW Grade6man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:36 pm 
Field Grade

This may show up twice since I thought I had already answered, nickd92. The center post is threaded. Not sure where it went. We were shooting skeet and I was allowing a newbie to shoot the RRL. I noticed the missing post at the end of the round. I suspect it just slowly backed out from recoil vibration. I reinstalled using the Remington scope mount stuff (Loctite in a green bottle). Hopefully some managed to remain during the installation as my fat fingers were not really a great show of dexterity during this operation. Keeping an eye on it but have seen no signs of loosening. Now at over 2500 rounds.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:36 pm 
Field Grade

Thought I'd update the thread. I'm at 2244 rounds. No problems. The gun shoots great. Winter skeet league starts in two weeks. It should get a lot of use for that.

Niemand, I think you're supposed to use a pin vise to tighten your beads. I doubt finger tight is going to be adequate. The locktite may prevent it from backing out though.

Since you have quite a few rounds through your gun, let me ask you about your lever. Mine started out way to the right and has been slowly moving to a centered position on the tang as the gun breaks in. It is still right of center but not by much. How is yours? The gun still locks up tight with no movement or play.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:52 pm 
Field Grade

Round Count stands at 2297. Got home today and like Niemand earlier, found the mid bead to be very loose. Need to buy a pin vise and tighten it before the league starts next weekend. Interesting how the mid bead on both our guns loosened right around the 2000 round mark. If you own a KRLG, you should check it periodically. An inexpensive pin vise is about $6. Might be a good investment.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:13 pm 
Field Grade

I just examined the mid-bead a little more carefully. It doesn't really tighten down on anything solid and I can certainly see why it came loose. If you take a pin vise and twist it with a lot of force, you'll damage your rib. It may be better to use a mild locktite on it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:31 am 
Field Grade

Final update on the center bead. I got my pin vise and reinstalled the bead. There is a small shelf in the hole and a tiny head on the center bead so you can tighten it down without worry. However, the bead itself is so small that, even with a pin vise, torque is tiny before the vice spins on the bead. I put a tiny drop of locktite on it. I'm pretty sure it will never back out but I'm also pretty sure that I'll never be able to remove that center bead again if I ever wanted to.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:47 pm 
Field Grade

I figured I'd update the round count for the last time in 2015. Round Count stands at 2822. No problems.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:40 pm 
Field Grade

First update for 2016. Winter skeet league is in full swing and so the round count is piling up. 3630 rounds to date. Gun has been pretty solid. No failures. One thing I want to mention. When the gun was new, the center lever was way over to the right, almost over the wood. After almost 4K rounds, the lever has moved much closer to center. Actually, it did this over the first 1500 rounds. It has stabilized at about 1/16" off center when closed with no shells in the chambers. The gun is still as tight as it was when new with no play. I will be keeping a close eye on this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:03 am 
Field Grade

It has been awhile since I posted an update on the RL. Winter Skeet League is over and the Red Label performed solidly throughout with no failures of any kind. Also, I took first place with it as well shooting an average in the low 90's. It helped that all the AA shooters skipped this winter! Round count stands at 4192.