ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 28 ga. Red Label light primer strikes, and a Fix!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:34 pm 
Utility Grade

I recently purchased a Red Label 28, hated the auto safety. I removed the stock and used a dremel to shorten the rod, problem solved. On the first trip to the club I had no issues. On several trips after it would light primer strike on the bottom barrel a lot and once in a while on the top. Tonight I decided to get to the bottom of the issue so I loaded some AA hulls with primer only and removed the stock. Ran through 15 without an issue so I decided to install the stock and try it again and low and behold the light primer strikes came back. Upon inspection of the stock both upper and lower hammer springs were rubbing in the wood channel for the springs in the stock. I used a 1/4 inch dowel with sandpaper wrapped around to open the channel slightly. Reinstalled stock and ran through a box with no light primer strikes. I have read several posts about Red Labels light primer striking with no definitive repair. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Post subject: Re: 28 ga Red Label light prime strikes, and a Fix!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:01 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks Markepilot,
Before I converted to an English stock my 28 gauge Red Label used to suffer from occasional light strikes on the lower barrel. I pulled the old pistol grip stock down and sure enough there were marks where the springs were rubbing inside the stock. Inspection of the English stock revealed that the spring channels were deeper and clear of the springs. I appreciate knowing what was causing the light strike issue.

Post subject: Re: 28 ga Red Label light prime strikes, and a Fix!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:43 am 
Tournament Grade

Using factory ammo or reloads?

Post subject: Re: 28 ga. Red Label light primer strikes, and a Fix!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:45 pm 
Utility Grade

Factory ammo. AA and Fiochi

Post subject: Re: 28 ga. Red Label light primer strikes, and a Fix!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:18 am 
Tournament Grade

The reason I asked whether it was factory or reloads was that I have had the same issue, and have never shot factory loads since the first flat of 28 gauge which I bought in 1997. I have torn down the receiver of my little beauty three times - and on a Ruger that's not much fun. I have replaced both firing pin springs and both firing pins with no positive results. However, John Skinner, looking at the receiver one Sunday afternoon, said "Do you know that your primer is set too deep?" I could then see it, but passed it off. Finally, I set a primer "proud " and haven't had problem since. Closing the receiver sets the primer flush. The face of the receiver seems to fit tightly so the problem may have been, my worn out, over used, Mec Jr. I will pull my stock again and hope that your solution was the prime cause. Excelsior.