ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Red label with a straight stock
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:25 am 
Utility Grade

In about 2005 ish I saw and fell in love with a ruger red label in a local gun shop (we have a few left in the UK). It was a steal, under £400, no one was buying it, because the uk market if fixated on browning and beretta. So I got it for £350. Gorgeous wood straight grip (another reason it couldn't be sold) nice plain reciever and almost self opening. Handles like a dream and given me loads of pleasure on clay and game.
Did ruger make a lot of straight hand guns? Were they popular? Works without a blip after thousands of shells. Does any one know what chokes they take, never found any so I suspect they share with someone else. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Red label with a straight stock
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:22 pm 
Limited Edition

You have lovers and haters or Red Labels. You're speaking to a lover here. Briley makes chokes for Ruger shotguns.. Never been disappointed with any that I've owned. Wish I would have kept the black synthetic with chrome barrels one I owned. Sure liked the looks of it. I only own one 20 ga with 30" barrels and beautiful wood. won't get rid of that one. Hope you have many more years of service from your Red Label. Blessings, Grade6man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The 12-gauge Red Labels have had two choke systems. The ones prior to 1993 utilize the Winchester system, also used by Mossberg and Browning Invector (NOT the present Invector Plus). Since 1993, the tubes are longer and will not interchange with other systems but can be bought from several after market suppliers, including Briley, Carlson, and Trulock. There may be other suppliers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:41 am 
Tournament Grade

I have Ruger catalogues for 1998,2001,203,and 2006. The 1998,2001 and 2003 catalogues indicate that both pistol grip and straight stock guns were part of the standard production for 12,20 and 28 gauge guns. The 2006 catalogue only shows straight stocks for 20 and 28 gauge guns. Therefore it could be concluded that straight stock guns for 12,20 and 28 gauge guns were readily available for at least 6 years and 20 and 28 gauge for at least 9 years. I have a straight stock 28 gauge I bought new in the 1990s; not sure what year.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:41 am 
Tournament Grade

Hello everyone. Old Thread, I know. Just wanted to Report.

Yesterday a Local Gun Store had a Ruger Red Label
Over and Under, 20ga 26"Bbls English Straight Stock.
It was new in the White box. Came with Choke Tubes,
choke tube grease, Wench, and all the Paperwork.

It went North of $1500.00. I believe because the Wood
Grain in the Stock was way above average, being
New in the Box, and rare opportunity is why it went so high.

Thank for Reading, the Best to you and your Endeavors.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:56 pm 
Field Grade

A few years ago I bought a straight stocked Red Label 28 gauge that was new in the box. It is hands down the favorite of all the shotguns I've ever owned. I don't get to use it often. A preserve I used for training and taking one of my daughters who was learning to shoot pheasants was the place I normally carried it and it was just deadly. I never thought taking it to South Dakota was a great idea, so I didn't and usually don't carry it around here when I'm hunting wild birds. A different preserve I go to now once in awhile is nontoxic shot only and I haven't come up with any options in 28 for that (I think I'll go start a thread on it and people can rail on me for what a bad idea that would be, and I'm not sure it's a great idea, but my next trip I may take it along for a morning and see what happens).