ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RRL breech closing question
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Everyone take a breath and please don't turn this simple question into an argument.

I have joined a hunting dog club and they require the use of breech loading guns at all club activities where shooting takes place. So I'm shopping for my first O/U, which will see limited use, unless I really, really like the gun.

I've always had pump guns and so know next to nothing about O/U guns. I have the chance to pick up a Red Label 12 at an OK price. It fits me well and seems to swing well, though I have not yet shot it. When I close the breech, it does not quite get to fully closed, but needs an extra little oomph to close completely. There is some grease in the receiver/trunnions, but otherwise, I don't see any indications of obvious issues or abnormal wear anywhere. When closed, the lever sits at about 5:30 or a little closer to midline.

What do you make of this closing situation? Does it just need to be cleaned up well, or is it an indication of an exasperating problem?

Post subject: Re: RRL breech closing question
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Personally, having had a RRL in 28 a long time ago, I would pass. Parts and service are not available from Ruger so if it does need something, that could present a problem.
What's your budget? Perhaps some of us can recommend another used brand that will suit your needs.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Last edited by oneounceload on Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree with oneounce. There's a chance that the Red Label's issue has an easy fix, but maybe not. Many of those guns had problems and there's virtually no support available from Ruger anymore. Chances are you would be much better off with something else.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the replies. That's a big help.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You're welcome, Doc. Do consider a pre-owned, well cared for Browning Citori. If you can find one and it fits you well, it might be just the ticket.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:44 pm 
Crown Grade

The closing issue with that gun is not abnormal. At least it wasn't on my four RL's, two of which were purchased new.
If the price is really attractive....like $800 or so....I'd get it. Used in the manner you describe, you probably won't have to worry about parts or service.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:50 pm 
Crown Grade

The following gunsmith service was provided by a board member as a good place to get parts and service for a Ruger RL. I filed it because it was the only one I have seen with that type of endorsement. I know nothing else about them. Good luck if you need some work done.

Gunsmithing
Weapons

3 Lacey Pl, Southport, CT 06890
Cross Streets: Near the intersection of Lacey Pl and Post Rd
(203) 254-0436

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:07 pm 
Crown Grade

mudpack wrote:
The closing issue with that gun is not abnormal. At least it wasn't on my four RL's, two of which were purchased new.
If the price is really attractive....like $800 or so....I'd get it. Used in the manner you describe, you probably won't have to worry about parts or service.

For 800 or so, a used Japanese SKB now joins the mix of possibilities

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

oyeme wrote:
The following gunsmith service was provided by a board member as a good place to get parts and service for a Ruger RL. I filed it because it was the only one I have seen with that type of endorsement. I know nothing else about them. Good luck if you need some work done.

Gunsmithing
Weapons

3 Lacey Pl, Southport, CT 06890
Cross Streets: Near the intersection of Lacey Pl and Post Rd
(203) 254-0436

This should be a sticky at the top of the forum. I'll bet that's where all the factory parts went. Bye the way I have had a 20 gauge Sporting Clays (30"barrels) for 18 years that's been a great gun.Really,really nice wood.