ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20 gauge light load recipes???
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Looking for recommend reloading recipes for my 9 year old daughter. She currently has a 20 gauge mossberg pump youth model. She's average size kid for her age. Currently she's been shooting 7/8oz loads and hasn't complained about the recoil, a few hours after shooting she complains about her shoulder being sore. We've went over proper form, no bruising or check slap. I realize it will take some time for her to build tolerance up but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone would share a light recoil 20 gauge recipe?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: 20 gauge light load recipes???
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:43 am 

Take any 7/8 load and use 3/4 oz instead. Bingo, lighter recoil.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:10 am 
Tournament Grade

I use 13.5 gr Unique with 7/8 oz. WAG is around 1000 fps and breaks targets just fine at least out to 30 yds. have not tried it out further. Winchester AA makes a low recoil/low noise 20ga 7/8 oz load, advertised at 975 fps, breaks targets just fine also.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Also make sure the gun stock fits her. Most kids need a stick length of around 12”. Long I’ll fitting stocks accentuate recoil.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith