ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 8.5 Year old Wanting to start Skeet and trap
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:48 am 
Utility Grade

My 8.5 year old son is wanting to start trap and skeet shooting, I wanted to know what might be a good 12 gauge skeet/trap gun to start him with that would be sized properly?

Post subject: Re: 8.5 Year old Wanting to start Skeet and trap
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

Rahawkins,

Having started learning how to use a shotgun, with all the safety and gunning instruction my Father & Grandfather taught via the NRA, I recommend your son be taught 1st with a 28 gauge shotgun, that has been made to fit him correctly. At age 8.5 a 12 gauge gun will be too big for him to handle, unless he is an extremely big boy. If he happens to be big enough to open and close a good SXS double gun I recommend an old 28 gauge Parker DH double gun. I learned to shoot with one that had been special made for my Grandmother, and it fit me perfectly as a young boy.

I was even younger than your son when all this took place. These guns are easy to use and they shoot well, I take for granted supervision and instruction will occur as happened in my case. I think a boy should learn how to hunt with a good double gun, before he learns how to repetatively line shoot. This is how the young men and ladies were taught to use a shotgun in our family, down thru the generations.

Having taught many young people to shoot, I never start them with a 12 gauge gun, the felt recoil is a big negative for young shooters, especially as they are learning. Further I do not recommend a Semi-Auto gun be used as a teaching gun for a youngster, you want something simple and easy to understand and use, for a youngster who is learning.

Be safe and good luck teaching your son how to use a shotgun.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

Dave,
You're kidding, right? A 28 gauge Parker is not going to fit too many people's budget for starter gun. And, then to alter the stock to fit a small child. I'd suggest you rethink your advice and come back with a more reasonable solution. I think the notion of a 28 gauge is fine. It's your suggested gun that sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

Vette Jockey,

There are other less expensive guns besides the Parker, I used it as an example because I was taught with one. Further you have no way of knowing what this gentlemen has budgeted for his sons shotgun. Granted the Parker guns are very expensive today especially to learn with. The solution is the same using what ever 28 gauge double gun the gentlemen can afford. H&R, Savage, etc. A Stack Barrel (O/U) gun would be fine also, it will be heavier however.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

Speaking from experience, my 8.5 year olds "wanted" a lot of things. Mini Bikes, a cat, a monkey, a trip to Antarctica, enough Lego's to build a space ship... the list goes on and on. I wouldn't spend a TON of money considering the fickle nature of that particular age and the simple fact that a lot of money will go into sizing whatever you choose unless you've got a REALLY big 8.5 year old.

Kids are different, as are the activities they pursue. My daughter begged us to start swimming competitively at 6 y/o. Not knowing any better, we indulged her, and she burned out in terms of interest and effort but the time she was 16. Went from AAA times and nationally ranked to completely disinterested. I started my boys later, at around 9-10 years old and they are close to surpassing her best times at 13 and are just now really starting to get into it.

Swimming isn't shooting, but I'd advise to keep it all about fun as much as you can. You may have a prodigy, or you may have a kid that drops it like a hot rock at an early age if you're not careful.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:06 pm 
Crown Grade

No way on a 12, and seconded no way on a Parker SxS.

What gun experience does he have already (of ANY kind)?

Start him with a .22lr on paper and stationary targets. If he's big enough (and mature enough) then a 28 that fits, possibly a pump or single shot will suffice in the beginning.

Interesting first post question.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:29 pm 
Crown Grade

As before the best advice is first can he handle it and has the maturity to know what he has in his hands. A pretty impressive demo is to shoot a large watermelon or milk container filled with colored water with a shotgun at 5 yards or so. It should give him a good understanding of how lethal a shotgun is at close range.

I also agree with a .22LR if he is not big enough now. IMO he should start with a 20 gauge gas auto, Youth model. There are several out there and the Weatherby, Tristar and Mossbergs head the list and are inexpensive. Much more available and cheaper ammo and no more recoil than a fixed breech (double, pump, single shot) 28 gauge of any make.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:43 am 
Crown Grade

Remington 1100 LT 20 would be the gun I'd go with over all others. You can buy stocks amid barrels by the truck load in any length you want, and someone will want any that your son outgrows. You could find a little bit lighter guns, but honestly if this gun with a properly fitting stock is too heavy for him, then he's still to little to handle any shotgun.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:13 pm 
Utility Grade

So here is the update, we took my Remington 1100 LT 20 that was given to me at his age to Andrew Macfarlane for a fitting over the weekend. My kid loved it, Andrew was really good with him and we will be going back to continue the fitting process in a couple of weeks, as Andrew gave him somethings to work on in the mean time. I have also purchased some light 3/4 ounce loads so when we get the gun properly fit the recoil will be lessened for him. I hope if he really takes to liking this to be able to get him into and O/U somtime early next year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Good on getting him fitted, etc.; however I would disagree with getting a soon-to-be 9 year old an O/U. Let him get proficient with that LT20; it should serve for years to come.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

I started shooting when I was 8, I used a 22lr and a 410 shotgun until I was 11 or 12 years old, I then moved onto a, 12ga and an SKS.
I wish I could have moved to a 20ga, recoil can give you a flinch and create bad habits.
I'd start him on a 410 or 28ga and let him focus on the shooting alone without anticipation of a big boot.

He can learn on a 12ga but I'd definitely get an auto for the reduction in recoil, but it's still a lot of recoil for a young kid.

But big thumbs up to you for supporting your son in starting shooting at that age.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:16 am 
Utility Grade

My son started shooting last year right at the age of 8. He is not big but very tall. More along the lines of a kid who is 10-12 in height. The biggest challenge for him has been the weight of the gun. I have very careful with not scaring him off the sport. Personally I did not grow up shooting and had zero perspective on a youth shotgun. You hear some crazy advice and some that might scare of kids from shooting due to someone advising "I was shooting a 10 GA Browning when I was 5 years old!" :roll: :lol:

I did start him with a Mossberg Bantam. Looking back it was an OK gun but it did kick like mule. We shot the Remington equivalent and it had the same if not worse effect. It was OK but it also was short at 20". It did break some clays (sporting clays) and he had some success. We were able to work through the basics. What would I have had him shoot instead? Maybe use a TriStar Viper. He shot these with the 4H shooting team and this is what also helped him with the basics. The kick on the semi-auto versus his pump on the Mossberg did not discourage him it was not something he was going to enjoy either shooting 50-100 rounds. He just did not have the physical strength even as a big kid. Now at 9 he is almost there.

This still is a challenge as there are a lot of options out there. I have had him shoot a Benelli Montefrelto, and some over unders. He was more successful and happier with the O/U and by a good margin. I was able to find a 1980s SKB 505 26" O/U that the previous owner had cut down the LOP to 13.5" and put a KickEez pad on it. I am still waiting for it to be delivered. This seemed to fit the bill but will have to find out. If not I will sell it.

The other X factor that helps or may help you is that we have a very strong youth shooting community in my area in NC. The 4H shooting team is strong and very supportive. The same can be said for the other youth teams in the area. Good luck with your search and drop a line anytime. 8)

Yildiz SPZ ME 20ga
SKB 505 O/U 20ga - Made in Japan
TriStar Upland Hunter 12ga backup

NSCA and ATA Member