ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinions on the Butler Creek folding stock?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:54 pm 
Field Grade

As seen here?
http://www.impactguns.com/store/051525401018.html
How much is the increase in recoil going to a lighter stock?
I'm going towards a camping gun with a Mossberg, the ability to fold up fairly compact would be handy.

Edited to fix my messup, I called it a Choate.

Last edited by Nameless_Hobo on Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: re: Opinions on the Choate folding stock?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:27 pm 
Crown Grade

that a Bulter Creek, not a Choate

Choate is here

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page_ ... uctCode=23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

The recoil issue is really subjective, if you are recoil sensitive you will notice a difference. You will likely find that design will effect felt recoil more than the weight. A while back my buddy bought a cheap folder for his 500A, it was metal and had a hard plastic butt pad with "sharp" edges, and it hurt. I am not very recoil sensitive and when I say hurt, I mean it felt like someone was stabbing you kinda hurt. I would imagine that particular stock is no longer made and the designers were drawn and quartered. If you can find a company with a good satisfaction guarantee or a vendor with a good return policy you could try it out ONCE and make sure it's okay. Another friend bought a different folder, ATI I think, and it was just fine. I didn't like either of them but thats my style, and I don't need a "camp gun." A folder is your best option for a short camp gun and I'm sure there are good ones out there, I just don't like them so I don't look.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:08 am 
Diamond Grade

I have a Butler Creek on my Moss500 and love it. Very durable and comfortable to shoot. I was a bit scared when I got it because the buttpad on the stock is smaller than the one on the original stock so I figured it was going to punch harder but I was wrong. Your hand absorbs a lot of the kick on a PG arrangement and it makes it easier to pull the gun into your shoulder. I've had mine for over 10 years and haven't had a problem with it yet. BTW, I have the one without the shell carrier.

http://www.kingarmory.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:01 am 
Diamond Grade

As was stated above, that is not a Choate stock. It is a Butler Creek Protector series side folder. Remington used them a while back as a factory installed item on a special run sold through Lew Horton Distributing.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/special_runs/past_special_runs/model_870_express_synthetic_folding_stock.asp

I have one. The stock is OK, I guess. No folding stocks are really good. It isn't the shoulder that takes the punishment with this stock. It really bites me in the cheekbone. A few rounds down range with it and I look and feel like I went a few rounds Lennox Lewis.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:37 am 
Presentation Grade

I got the Butler Creek Folding Stock - the one with the shell holder.

The shell holder is handy in that you have shells to load upon picking up the gun. If you shoot the gun with shells in the stock, they fall right out in 2 shots!

The stock is very handy for transport & storage of the gun - I have a 20" barrel and total length folded is 32"..

You can fire the gun with the stock folded and I like that for a HD weapon.

LOP is a bit long and the butpad is a bit sticky on clothes..

I would never consider a cheek-weld on this stock.. perhaps not on any shotgun regardless of how configured.

Overall, I'm very happy with this stock. I have not yet found a better one.

I do have a Pistol Grip forend and it helps manage the control & recoil.

Post subject: Re: Opinions on the Butler Creek folding stock?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:49 pm 
Utility Grade

I replaced a polymer ati top fold stock on my 500 with the butler creak folding stock and I like it a lot better because it is wqay less bulky and so fare not sloppy and eaiser to deploy. HOWEVER, I installed this on my 500 and two major flaws soon came to light right away that which required that I disassemble it and engineer a work around: The pin that holds the stock on the assembly is removeable after loosening a set screw. upon taking the set screw out and removing the stock, I saw that the pin has no detent for the set screw to rest in,. Rather the set screw just screws up against it and relies on staying tight and friction to keep the pin from slipping out and the stock falling off. So I drilled a detent in the pin for the set screw to rest in so even if it loosens up, the pin cannot fall out. bear in mind that I had to reengineer the ATI stock as well to be more usefull: I installed a sling pin, mounted shell holders and carved it out on the top side so when it folds, I still had a view of the top of the barrel and my sights. However this stock is so sloppy, even locked and especially when folded, that locked and folded it still moves up and down a few inches! With this butler creek stock out of production there is only the ATI and a couple others available, both of which are even more inferior. One is a metal rod top folder.
the problem with it is that the folding part is very short and the folding point is like a full six inched BEHIND the pistol grip! another one I think is the Choate a side folder like the Butler Creek model, and seemingly a rod design, but it has p[lastic overlays that bulk it out too much and again, Choate elongated the area to the pivot point so that it sticks out in back of the p[iostol grip further than both the old choate model and the Butler Creek model.

Finally an important thing is that with the bhulky ATI stock folded I couldn't put it folded into my vest mounted shotgun/AR15 scabbard. But I can stick my 500 with a 20" barrel a large attachment underneath and the folded butler creek stock, secured in my shotgun scabbard.

incidentally I just acquired 7 Butler Creek stocks (keeping one for myself) for the 500 and will be selling them on Ebay soon under the same user name that I registered with on this forum

Also, the unfolded stock is too high making it very difficult to rest a cheek on and get a proper sight picture. to fix this issue I grinded the plastic pistol grip to slightly different mount angles, inside and out, to allow the unfolded stock to slope down a bit and make it easier to obtain a sight picture. it was a vast improvement.

all in all, after these fixes I think it is the best shotgun folding stock on the market, unfortunately it's been discontinued, maybe because the stock kept falling off because it had no positively locked retainer? but this is easily fixed as i said above.

Post subject: Re: Opinions on the Butler Creek folding stock?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:23 am 
Limited Edition

Butler Creek's make for a small package...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.