ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Small Flat Spot on End of Barrel
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

OK, my Persuader got knocked off the shelf and hit the ground pretty hard. Now there is a small flat spot on the very end of the barrel…here’s a quick thumbnail pic…

I didn’t notice it at first, but now it is bugging me. I figure here are my options…

1. Take it to a gunsmith to see if they can round it out.
2. Try and round it out myself
3. Don’t worry about it, as it doesn’t effect the shot much; especially for a HD shotgun
4. Use it as an excuse to buy another shotgun!

Any free advice?

Cheers! M2

Post subject: re: Small Flat Spot on End of Barrel
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

First off, don't shoot it like that...get the opinion of a gunsmith.

Or get a new barrel, but my guess is that it can be fixed.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

Your muzzle got dented. What we would do on something like that is turn about 1/4" off of the end of the barrel. We could use a dent raiser, but the results for muzzle dents isn't that good and you have a little bit of barrel that could be trimmed off which is a lot better way to go.

http://www.kingarmory.com

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

kingjoy,

finaly should have my A&W Diverter back late next week. Once i get it in I will try to shoot it out to you to be installed.

Post subject: Re: re: Small Flat Spot on End of Barrel
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

Desert01 wrote:
kingjoy,

finaly should have my A&W Diverter back late next week. Once i get it in I will try to shoot it out to you to be installed.

No problem, shoot me an email at [email protected] when you ship it out so I can be on the look out for it.

http://www.kingarmory.com

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:32 am 
Utility Grade

I had a similar out-of-round condition on one of my shotguns. Took it to a gunsmith who inserted a 12ga mandrel and used a special 6-jawed hydraulic press to squeeze it back to round. Prefect shape and didn't require cutting barrel. I think he charged me $30-$40; he actually machined the mandrel just for this job.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Went by my local gun shop and the owner said his gunsmith could round it out; but he said he saw someone who did it themselves but taking a cone-shaped plumbing tool to thread pipes and tapped it into the muzzle to round it out. So I stopped by Home Depot but the only thing I could find was plastic, and I think it would bend the plastic before it would reshape the muzzle. I did see a conical-shaped 11/16th of an inch drill bit that I was considering trying, tapping it lightly in the end of the barrel to see if it would round it out.

The guy at the gunshop did say I could bring it back in, I think he was just trying to help me fix it myself. I was wondering what people thought about a DIY fix?

Cheers! M2

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Some years ago, some yahoo dumped one of my cherished SXS out of the rack and on to the concrete floor while I was in the bathroom.

Dented the hell out of the end of one of the muzzles. Went to the club owner with it and he, (owning something well over a million dollar collection of guns himself), got out his plastic small bore, skeet tube installation/removal tools. He proceeded to round out that muzzle, and got it very, very close to perfect. Never even cracked the chrome lining.

Been shooting it ever since, no problem at all.

Remember which party got us to where we are, (along with too many RINOs)!
VOTE!

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

OK, I went by Lowe's and contemplating having the muzzle shortened when I was watching a guy cut brass pipe, when the guy he was cutting the pipe for asked me what I had. I showed him the barrel and he said he was a plumber, and that the plastic plumbing tool wouldn't do the trip. However, he thought I might try a brass plumb bob, which I found for $9. Got home, tapped it into the muzzle a bit and eventually got it rounded back into shape! Honestly, you can't tell where the flat spot was anymore. Now, it did mark up the brass plumb bob a little, but that was expendable.

So, the muzzle is back in shape, and I am happy!

Cheers! M2

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:34 pm 
Utility Grade

M2
I was kinda watching this thread since I have an old beat up High Standard police pumpgun that had been whacked at the muzzel. Not bad but it bothered me. Being an old surveyor I have many old brass plumb bobs around and tried this trick - worked like a charm - took less than a half a dozen light taps and to my eye the dent is gone.

Thanks for sharing this tip!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Oddly enough, I was trained as a surveyor when I was an intelligence officer in the USAF; but I have not done it since then. I am grateful to the plumber at Lowe's who suggested it after I told him what I was looking for. I am glad it could be of some assistance!

Cheers! M2

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

All the inputs i read are good but I vote for option 4. any time you got the excuse to buy a new one - go for it :)

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Actually, I am going to a gun show tomorrow morning; but I am not in the market for another shotgun. Of course, if I see something I really like, I just may have to "re-flatten" the muzzle of my Mossberg!

Cheers! M2

Post subject: Re: Small Flat Spot on End of Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:01 am 
Utility Grade

Desert 01, where did you purchase your A&W Diverter? I've been looking for one for decades.