Shotgun Forum banner

12 Ga. Door Breaching Rounds Federal Vs Fiocchi

7K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  CENTURIATOR 
#1 ·
I was wondering which 12 Ga. door breaching round is considered better the Federal or the Fiocchi round or are they equal?

#2 ·
Whose door are we breaching?

#15 ·
WTF does a Civi care about OFFENSIVE door-breaching ?!?!

Only reason I've ever (2x) purchased frangible rounds is indoor training that demanded it. And even most shoot houses don't.

#16 ·
GDubya said:
WTF does a Civi care about OFFENSIVE door-breaching ?!?!
For the same reason that some people in Wisconsin just have to get their AR custom painted in desert camo, even though the nearest desert is over a thousand miles away.

Because that is what the AUTHORITIES use.

#20 ·
OldStufferA5#1911 said:
Jack_Bauer said:
Would the added slug weight make a difference here vs the fps?
Depends on the door and the lock you are trying to blow to smithereens.
I'm not totally sure, but from the videos on YT I've watched I think you don't shoot the lock, you shoot the hinges. Blow off the hinges and a good chunk of door and it doesn't matter what kind of lock they have.

#21 ·
snuffy19608 said:
OldStufferA5#1911 said:
Jack_Bauer said:
Would the added slug weight make a difference here vs the fps?
Depends on the door and the lock you are trying to blow to smithereens.
I'm not totally sure, but from the videos on YT I've watched I think you don't shoot the lock, you shoot the hinges. Blow off the hinges and a good chunk of door and it doesn't matter what kind of lock they have.
Well,,, no idea about You-Tube, but when I was overseas where some Door Breaching had been done, they blew the locks (or more correctly, the frame the locks were locked into)

1 shot, door opens.

If you go for hinges,, it is TWO shots, minimum (commercial), 3 shots residential.

Nothing like advertising yourself for 3 to 4 full seconds before you can get in.

If you were to breach the doors by hinge on my home, you MIGHT need 6 rounds, not from 6 hinges, but each hinge is NOT installed into the frame with little #6 or #8 3/4" screws into the frame as is "standard".
All 3 hinges, into both the solid core door and the frame, are installed with #10 3" deck screws (4 per hinge side), deep into the door wood and deep into the 2x4 wall stud behind the frame.

They were not installed this way to be "breach-resistant", they were installed this way to be wear-resistant, they do not loosen in use over years and get crooked needing re-tightening every few years. They have been up and solid at least 15-16 yrs now.

Also, look at the "add-on-security" things for doors.
The most popular (and very effective) generally involve a very simple, very portable, wedge bar from the door knob to the floor. No great skills needed to install it.
Take with you on trips for hotel room doors, etc.
Blow the knobset out, this is useless.

Modern days, if you suspect a really strong door, you forgo the shotgun entirely, it's far too weak, and you go for a water bag and a small Breaching Charge of explosives.
A pound of C4 against a 1-gal. bag of water, BANG!-door gone.

#22 ·
When the SWAT team uses door breaching rounds the operator wears heavy gloves, body armor, and a helmet with a full face shield. This is not something for the typical over weight, out of shape, over 50 Walter Mittie internet commando to fool around with.

#25 ·
indianajonze said:
i know i'm a new member here, but i'm pretty shocked at some of the responses to the op question. What do you need that for? Civilians don't need that, etc.

eh, what? :roll:
I know what you mean. Then these same people wonder how these restrictive gun control laws get passed. Last time I looked, it was called, The Bill Of RIGHTS..... Not The Bill Of NEEDS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.