ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Traveling in RV with shotgun ?
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:48 am 
Field Grade

I don't know if this is the place to ask but I'm impressed with you folks here and the knowledge you have.
I travel with a Truck Camper across State lines for vacations. On the road we stay in Walmarts,etc. just to sleep then shop and off we go in the morning. I'd like to bring the 870p and leave it in the truck camper while traveling not the truck cab. I think I'd sleep better at night in a WalMart or Truck Stop with it.
Is there any legal way I can do this ? or what to do or expect if an officer searches the RV ?
Also I read bad guys bang on the door at night and say their an Officer to get you to open up.
How would I approach that situation? I was thinking of having the local police number in my cell ready to dial and confirm before I open the door.

Post subject: Re: Traveling in RV with shotgun ?
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:39 am 
Presentation Grade

I am not affiliated with these guys, but they seem to have a good amount of information.

http://www.mylegalheat.com

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:09 am 
Crown Grade

This is no different than traveling with a weapon by car or truck. Each state has different regulations. In some states it can be loaded and easily accessible as long as its in a rack and visible, in others the weapon must be unloaded and in a locked compartment. Some states are very lenient on long gun transportation, but others are not at all.

I'd check out the link above. Also I'd recommend that you get a concealed carry license, then start working on getting other non-resident CCW licenses so that you have maximum reciprocity state by state, and then carry a pistol on you. Even with a CCW license however, you may be able to have a loaded pistol on you, but not a long gun.

There is a good post on the NRA ILA's website about this. I'll try to post a link later but you can Google it. Actually if you have the kind of RV that you drive (as opposed to tow) it gets very tricky.

Please note that local jurisdictions have mind boggling variations. Also you need to be extremely careful about transporting loaded long guns which in some states may be legal in one sense, but could put you in violation of hunting regulations intended to prohibit poaching and road hunting.

In my opinion, you'd be a lot better off locking up the 870 except when you are at certain campgrounds, and having a CCW license valid for the states you are traveling in, and a pistol that shoots something starting with a ".4" or a revolver of .357 or .44 mag.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

^This^

Check out http://www.handgunlaw.us/ for an idea of the laws in each state, BUT be sure you check that states laws via state AG website.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:02 pm 
Field Grade

I've got a CC license for NH but you know I don't know if it applies to shotguns. When I lived in Ma. the CC covered long guns.
I usually travel with it unloaded in the back of the camper locked. You can access the camper while driving. It's a truck camper. One that slides into the back of a pickup. You have to stop and open the rear camper door. Odd situation. At night it's our home.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:25 pm 
Limited Edition

Last i heard, Walmart parking lots are one of the most dangerous places in the country!

A shotgun over the door,
A 30-06 for reaching out;
You don't need any more.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:38 pm 
Limited Edition

It's good you have the ccw. I know if I was an LEO an the individual produced a ccw, I would give him as much latitude as possible. I have been told that here the car is recognized as an extension of your home. On my last renewal, I was surprised of the number of states that recognize Ga permits. Bottom line I would feel more comfortable carrying a long gun across the country than a pistol, not that I would leave the pistol home though. I would check those walmart parking lots out good. When I travel, I usually check out the area where the motel is an take a lap around the motel parking lot to get an idea of the area I am in. One idea is to keep the shotgun unloaded while traveling and load it prior to going to sleep. Since it will be in your camper during the day it really doesn't matter if it is loaded or not.
doc

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:06 pm 
Limited Edition

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

You can transport it from your house to any place you can legaly be. Federal law also says when you are camping it is your place of residence. So you can use it in your defense. When you park in a wally lot hop on the net and look up the local laws on use of deadly force.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:24 pm 
Utility Grade

Frankly speaking, I agree with the opinion that it's better to have a weapon if you are traveling along in unknown places. And if you have the gun permit on it there will not be any problems. More than that, for the last time I hear too often news about cases when criminals attack trucks and hurt people. I hope I will never get in such a situation, but I always have a pocket gas spray and a shotgun with me. Sorry, but my life matters. More than that, we ordered a lot of new equipment for our RV https://www.palmgear.com/best-rv-washer-dryer-combo-reviews/ I wouldn't like that someones damaged it or stole.

Last edited by anonymous1989 on Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:51 am 
Limited Edition

Years ago and I mean years ago Mas Ayoob wrote an article basically about the same thing…if memory serves he was going on a cross county trip and wanted to take some type of “protection”. What he found an 18” shotgun was legal to carry in every state he would be traveling through…as mentioned this was years ago…early 90’s probably.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you are involved in a routine traffic stop it is highly unlikely that the police will take the time and effort to do a detailed search of your RV unless they have a very good reason to believe you are transporting illegal drugs. And even if that is the case they probably will not tear out all the walls and flooring. They will just bring in the drug dog and search where he hits on something. Are you transporting drugs? I thought not. Besides, if you are the typical RV owner you are probably a retired older white couple and do not match the profile of a drug smuggler. Yes, profiling is supposedly illegal but then so is infringing on the right to keep and bear arms. Find a good hiding place and don't worry about it.