ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dummy/practice shells (12 ga) what brand is best
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm wanting to get some 12 ga dummy/practice shells/snap caps in order to practice tactical reloads. I also want for my wife and kids to be able to practice shotgun fundamentals. Is there a particular brand that stands out above the others?

Post subject: Re: Dummy/practice shells (12 ga) what brand is best
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:42 am 
Field Grade

I like my A-Zoom snap caps. They are durable aluminum with weight close to a real round. They are also anodized in a red color and are visibly different from a plastic and brass shell.

http://www.amazon.com/A-Zoom-Precision-Snap-Caps-Gauge/dp/B0029M2YWE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:35 am 
Diamond Grade

A Zoom makes good snap caps but they're expensive. You only get 2 of them for $10 and you can't accomplish much if you have to break the rhythm of your training to find your shells every 2 rounds.Buy two packs and you'll be fine though. If you don't mind that, they're definitely the best ones. Tipton is made of polymer and according to multiple reviews and forums, the rim can snap off after repeatedly being cycled and ejected. I have no personal experience with them though.

I made the mistake of using the A Zoom on hardwood floors once and it made quite a few ugly marks. Practice on carpet if you can. Don't ruin your floors.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

I prefer the DUMMY rounds made for private label from Remington, Fiocchi, Brownells, etc.
They're CLEAR plastic and actually shot-weighted for exceptional functional realism and feel. No, they're not indestructible but they last plenty long enough and it's certainly harder to visually confuse them with live rounds...
Typically ~$25-30/box of 25.
Great for reload and malf drills.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Why pay $3 to $5 per dummy round which may not be very sturdy when you can make your own for about 20 cents per round????

I just load up some Winchester AA hulls with no powder and put silicon in place of the primer. They load and cycle like a live round, but they can't go BANG. Of course, I mark them clearly with "DUMMY" written all over them so that I won't confuse them with live shells.

They cycle very well through all my shotguns and the silicone protects the firing pins as well as or better than the spring loaded gizmos that you find on some snap caps.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

To take off on what Dubya said, I believe having a box of 25 allow you to really work your gun through all sorts of drills. A couple of dummy rounds are just that, two rounds of something when what you really want are more rounds to practice many different things. You can't practice squat, in a productive and meaningful way, with only a two, or three or four rounds. A box of 25 round really meet that need.

You might want to to try these folks who sell them in boxes of 25 for various calibers and gauges.

http://www.genco-inc.com/products/non-firing-training-ammuntion/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

Ulysses wrote:
Why pay $3 to $5 per dummy round which may not be very sturdy when you can make your own for about 20 cents per round????
Not to disagree with your logic but, I suspect, way less than 20% of the folks that own a (perhaps just one) HD shotgun have access to SG reloading equipment. And while I practice and shoot more than the average Joe, I just last year started reloading handgun rounds. However, while I try to shoot a couple-three matches and a SG class every year, I only go through about a case of buckshot and in my current circumstances just don't see taking up SG reloading.
For us, even a ~$1/dummy, maybe only $25/year is a well worthwhile practice investment.

If you're reloading your own into reused commercial colored shells, make damn sure your DUMMY labeling is wear/handling resistant. Because confusing a dummy for live or vice versa is critically bad...

Last edited by GDubya on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:25 pm 
Crown Grade

I make my own and use rice as a substitute for the powder. I mainley use these for action proving dummies. I use white hulls and have them clearly marked dummy with red magic marker on 4 sides.
My cost is $0 as I use lead from older shells that folks "Don't know what to do with"

NSCA Level II Instructor
CSM/TRACS Certified Instructor
Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:42 am 
Limited Edition

I like the ones Brownell's used to carry, but they do not last too long.

The best method is recycling old quality shells and packing them with a filler.

Last edited by Vertigofirearms on Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Buffering wrote:
To take off on what Dubya said, I believe having a box of 25 allow you to really work your gun through all sorts of drills. A couple of dummy rounds are just that, two rounds of something when what you really want are more rounds to practice many different things. You can't practice squat, in a productive and meaningful way, with only a two, or three or four rounds. A box of 25 round really meet that need.

You might want to to try these folks who sell them in boxes of 25 for various calibers and gauges.

http://www.genco-inc.com/products/non-firing-training-ammuntion/

I called genco-inc and was told that they have closed. Do you know another place where I can get training-ammuntion from?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:42 am 
Diamond Grade

radi wrote:
I called genco-inc and was told that they have closed. Do you know another place where I can get training-ammuntion from?

I've bought dummy rounds from this seller before and they're pretty good quality. I just bought a set of these.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-GAUGE-2-3-4 ... 8ab2548aa5

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:48 pm 
Utility Grade

These are the best ones I’ve used.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018805265

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:51 pm 
Utility Grade

I recently purchased a girsan mc312 which is a semi auto. I also bought 6 a-zoom pop caps to practice loading, unloading and dry firing. Anyone know if the A zoom dummy rounds will cycle through the semi auto shotgun? The gun takes 2 3/4 rounds so the size is right but they jam every time I use them and don't automatically cycle when dry firing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

I bought some inexpensive plastic ones once and the rims gradually broke away on all of them. Now, I have a pair of A-Zoom dummies for each gauge gun.

That would get pricey if you want a whole bunch of them...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:14 pm 
Utility Grade

This what I did A Zoom has a good rep

https://www.amazon.com/ZOOM-Gauge-SNAP- ... ast_bbp_dp