ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg Shockwave
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:42 pm
Posts: 12787
The brace sort of defeats the purpose of having a concealable shotgun because it makes it so much longer. I can pack my Tac 14 diagonally in my luggage and carry it right through the hotel lobby. In fact I did exactly that on my recent Christmas vacation. I could not do that if it had a brace. Neither could it be adroitly pivoted to shoot from the right to left windows of my truck where it rode for the entire trip stashed under the console.

Again, the birds head grip does absolutely nothing to aid in shooting these things but does wonders for concealability and maneuverability.

You can vote yourself into socialism, but you have to shoot your way out of it.

 Post subject: Re: Mossberg Shockwave
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:44 pm
Posts: 2625
Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
wfb18 wrote:
Just a reminder, any firearm with a bore diameter greater than 0.5" is a destructive device unless the Attorney General and BATFE recognizes it as particularly suitable for sporting purposes. I tend to avoid in your face activism that dares an ERT to stack up in front of my doors.

A destructive device does not include any device which is lawfully possessed under the Gun Control Act of 1968.

To date, this thread has 17840 page hits, and a review of BATFE regulations is appropriate.

Adding a brace or a stock to a TAC-13 is making a firearm, namely a SBS, and requires a $200 NFA stamp before installation. After registration as an SBS, the original grip can be restored, but it can never revert to its original non-NFA TAC-13 status, nor will it ever be eligible to be registered as an AOW.

wfb18 wrote:
... One more thing for other readers: the Mossberg Shockwave is acceptable to BATFE for sporting purposes but it cannot be concealed on a person or in a vehicle even with a concealed carry licence unless it is registered as an AOW. From the ATF letter on the Mossberg site, "The Mossberg, model 590, serial number V0348718 as described above, is a 'firearm' subject to GCA provisions; however, it is not a 'firearm' as defined by the NFA. Please note that if the subject firearm is concealed on a person, the classification with regard to the NFA may change."

Likewise, if a Shockwave or a TAC-14 or a TAC-13 is concealed in the interior of a vehicle, loaded or unloaded, "the classification with regard to the NFA [does] change." To be concealed, a Shockwave or a TAC-14 or a TAC-13 must be registered as an AOW with a $5 NFA stamp (as no transfer occurs), plus may require a Concealed Carry Deadly Weapon license. The Concealed Carry Handgun licenses issued by most states are highly problematic and likely will not permit concealment of a Shockwave or a TAC-14 or a TAC-13, because without a sporting purpose they are destructive devices.

Kentucky law recently changed, and it is not limited to handguns. The Concealed Deadly Weapons License is now optional. Nevertheless, the new Kentucky law does not allow concealed carry of the Shockwave, TAC-13, or TAC-14 if prohibited by federal law, so AOW registration is required to negate that prohibition.

Kentucky Revised Statutes wrote:
237.109 Authorization to carry concealed deadly weapons without a license.
(1) Persons age twenty-one (21) or older, and otherwise able to lawfully possess a firearm, may carry concealed firearms or other concealed deadly weapons without a license in the same locations as persons with valid licenses issued under KRS 237.110.
(2) Nothing in this section shall be construed to allow the carrying or possession of any deadly weapon where it is prohibited by federal law.
Effective: June 27, 2019
History: Created 2019 Ky. Acts ch. 10, sec. 1, effective June 27, 2019.

Transporting an AOW within its state is legal, and transporting an AOW across state lines depends on the laws of the other states. Transporting a SBS across state lines is a PITA. Transporting a SBS to ANY other address, even temporarily, is a PITA.

National Gun Trusts on 04 May 2018 wrote:
How to guide and walk-through guide for the ATF Form 5320.20 – ATF 5320.20 Application to Transport NFA Firearms

The ATF Form 20 or the ATF 5320.20 Application to Transport NFA Firearms is required when you are transporting your NFA firearms across state lines or to an address that is different then the address on your ATF Form 4 or ATF Form 1 that contains the ATF Tax Stamp. Note: If you are transporting your NFA firearms across state lines you need to be aware of the laws, rules and regulations of the state you are transporting to and/or through. The ATF 5320.20 form can be used for a permanent transportation to a new location or a temporary location. This is answered in question #2 of the ATF 5320.20.

It is worth noting that after sending this application into the ATF you should receive an approval or disapproval from the ATF within or around 2 weeks to 4 weeks, but it may and can take longer. If you are planning on transporting or permanently moving your NFA firearms you need to be aware of the time frames. You cannot transport or permanently move any NFA firearms without the approval of the ATF.

As defined by the ATF this form is to be used for:

"Interstate† Movement: If the firearm identified in item 4 is a machinegun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, or destructive device, the registrant may be required by 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(4) to obtain permission from ATF prior to any transportation in interstate or foreign commerce. ATF E-Form 5320.20 can be used to request this permission."

†Interstate as defined by Merriam-Webster: of, connecting, or existing between two or more states especially of the U.S. interstate commerce.

This doesn't include suppressors, silencers, or AOW's, per their definitions. We however, recommend to file this form be filled out for every NFA firearm that you are transporting. To ensure that you aren't breaking any laws. However, if you are permanently moving your NFA firearm, a.k.a. changing the address of your NFA firearm then you will need to notify the ATF, no matter what NFA firearm class it is. If you are traveling within the state this form may not be necessary, as every situation may be different. You can call the ATF to see if your move or transportation requires this from at (304) 616-4500.

"Change of Address: Unless currently licensed under the Gun Control Act, the registrant shall notify the NFA Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405, in writing, of any change to the address in item 2a [2a from ATF Form 4], 2a from ATF Form 4, 3b from ATF Form 1]."

ATF Definition Excerpts taken from the ATF 5320.4 Form 4, but are also included in the ATF 5320.1 Form 1, and the ATF 5320.5 Form 5.


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Who is online

Registered users: 2lo8s, Bill M., Bing [Bot], Bladeswitcher, boosno1, bwpkck, casonet, Cfelix10, ChrisLunker, DblXX, desmobob, EricB, FlyChamps, Gard72977, gentwocoog, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], GravelyGuy, HenryPeter, jeffreyk, JP McNeal, jrmev, jusanothajoe, Keperkey, KRIEGHOFFK80, Lam101, lecky56, leftex, mactownbob, Maser, May, McFarmer, Mkk, nevermind, oldshotty, oldtechshooter, oneounceload, oyeme, painter*, piano2ner, Pirates55, pitandremington, pump shooter, rkittine, Road Man, Rockett0, Roseinmt, skar, Specklebelly, Sxturner67IL, thecoinopcollector*, Trapperjohn01, Westender, Wheelspin, Wiles01, wkirk, Woodsie131

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group    - DMCA Notice