Shotgun Forum banner

Recommended tactical shotgun stock options

11K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  CdnTrainer 
#1 ·
I apologize if this is a re-re-post but I don't see it in this forum. I initially posted this question in the general forum and a helpful member mentioned I should come here instead.

To the point... I have just put in an application to purchase a Mossberg 590 (I believe it is an A1 since it's parkerized and has the heat shield, but this is irrelevant to my question) and the firearm in question only has a pistol grip.

The weapon is to be solely used for home defense, will probably only be loaded with number 6 bird shot, and hopefully never fired except for practice. If it is, target distance will never be more than 25 yards. What good compatible stocks (either folding or collapsible) that are easily installed on said weapon would you recommend?

My personal expertise is in medium range target shooting with rifles but I don't know which shotgun accessories are considered reliable and/or good. A quick YouTube search revealed several options but I am unfamiliar with many of the companies since as I stated earlier my area of knowledge lies mainly in the target rifle arena. Any help you fine folks could provide would be greatly appreciated. :D

If it matters, the weapon in question has the full 18" barrel, a "full" 7 round 3" shell magazine and no real accessories other than the heat shield.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think a 590a1 is an excellent choice. Mine has a 20" barrel, but I am a pretty big guy and the slight size difference is not a factor for me, getting the slightly greater capacity is what drove my decision.

My 590a1 has the MagPul stock with a steeper pistol grip area than a traditional shotgun stock. I like this compromise between a field stock and a pistol grip / stock combination like is found on an AR-15. I DO NOT like Pistol Grip Only shotguns. They are difficult to control, and I don't want the gun flailing about when I shoot it.

My gun has a simple bead sight. I am very good with a bead sight and at in the house distances with buckshot I am extremely confident that I will hit what I am shooting at with that simple bead. The bead sight is also quicker for me particularly since I shoot a lot of shotgun and it is what I like. A rifle sight system would be better for longer range shooting that what I ever plan on using with this particular weapon, particularly with slugs. I don't ever plan on using slugs inside my home and about 20 feet is the greatest reasonable distance inside my house I can foresee.

Others are more competent with rifle sights, for them those sights would probably be a better choice.

Personally I don't think a heat shield is a necessary add on for a home defense shotgun. I can not see any reasonable scenario where I am going to fire so many shells that the gun will heat up to the point where a heat shield would be a valuable addition. If your gun already has the heat shield I wouldn't care either way, that is entirely your choice. A heat shield is probably not a bad thing, just not worth me adding one to my gun that does not have one.

I think for a home defense firearm a light is probably the most glaring omission from your post. If it happens to be dark when you need this gun you need a light. You don't want to shoot your spouse do you? What about your children? Even a drunk neighbor might not be a threat to your life. You do however need to recognize the difference between a real bad guy with a gun, and your 21 year old child trying to surprise you when he comes home from College for a visit. I view a light as a requirement for any home defense firearm. I have a light on my bedside pistol, my bedroom shotgun, and the AR-15 I keep downstairs in the gun safe. Each of these 3 weapons is loaded and ready to go, although they are all locked up in ways that I have rapid access to, but a bad guy would not find easy to defeat.

I would also suggest that real defensive loads are most appropriate. I use 00 Buckshot and nothing else. Personally I like the Federal shells with the "Flight Control" wad, but the key is 00 Buckshot. Others might suggest #1 Buckshot, this is probably just fine, but I like to keep things simple, so 00 is my choice.

Lastly, you need to practice with your new gun. You need to practice to a point of proficiency where you are comfortable using it under stress. This is probably a greater level of proficiency than most gun owners have, but you need to take it seriously. Shooting someone in the chest with 00 Buckshot is almost certainly going to be fatal to the bad guy, missing and having the bad guy take your weapon away from you and then shooting you with it is probably not going to work out very well for you. Missing the bad guy and having the 00 Buckshot go through the wall and hitting your sleeping child, or neighbor, is also not going to be a good thing.

#3 ·
Road Man,

Thank you for the response. I appreciate all the advice but what I'm looking for is specific stock options. I'm familiar with MagPul stocks for rifles, but am not familiar with their shotgun line and was wondering if there are better options.

I'm a veteran so plan on keeping a pistol grip on the shotgun because that is what I'm most comfortable with and 95% of tactical stocks have this anyway.

I'm doing my YouTube video search of course and so far have looked at ATI, Mesa, and Butler Creek options in addition to MagPul. I was hoping someone here had experience with several of the above and could steer me toward the best option.

I personally will be sticking with number 6 or 4 bird shot to prevent the over-penetration issues you mention but I guess that is a matter of personal preference. Inside of 25 feet any 12-gauge blast is going to be more than effective IMO.

#4 ·
I Considered all of the other stock options. MagPul was my choice. Go to the MagPul website and look for the stock to fit the 500,590, and 590a1.

YouTube is a place where you can get a video review of the stock as well.

My solution to the overpenetration issue is to know what is behind my walls and to hit what I might need to shoot at. I would like the bad guy to mitigate the risks by absorbing the impact with his torso.

#5 ·
The weapon is to be solely used for home defense, will probably only be loaded with number 6 bird shot, and hopefully never fired except for practice.
First off, load something bigger than #6 birdshot - at least go with #2 if you're not using buckshot.
Secondly, why spend money on a new stock when the original works just fine? You'd be better off spending that money on a lesson or three and some practice

JMO, YMMV

#6 ·
Again, thank you for the responses.

The reason I'm asking the question is because the weapon I'm purchasing is only coming with a rear pistol grip from the factory and I personally prefer a shoulder stock of some sort.

I just visited some old jarhead friends that actually had some of the different stocks installed and am now leaning toward the ATI model unless I find a huge price difference.

We can debate home defense rounds at a later date but I'll say this... Do you know what a 3" shell of #6 birdshot will do to someone within 25'?

#7 ·
Someone on meth wearing body armor? Not as much as #1 through 00 buck (higher velocities)

With only a PGO, then just get the factory plastic stock - a lot cheaper and works just fine. What I did with a 500 that came as a PGO decades ago

#8 ·
Consider a Hogue Overmolded stock set. Not as many LOP adjustment increments as the Magpul, only regular 14" and 12" (faster shouldering but encircled thumb is closer to your nose, especially with 3-inchers :wink:) , but WAY BETTER tactile feel under all conditions.

#10 ·
I feel I need to clarify something so I'll attempt to do so now...

Because my post count on this forum is low does not mean I'm an inexperienced shooter with any type of weapon.

I grew up in a very "*******" area of Ohio and was blessed with a father, uncles, and friends of family that were very capable instructors. I also spent 7 1/2 years in the USMC and did very well on all ranges. PLEASE stop telling me to practice with any weapon fine folks. I'm quite capable of hitting what I aim at with rifle, shotgun, or pistol. I fully realize that practicing with any weapon you intend on using for self defense is absolutely necessary and intend to do so.

#12 ·
A wounded home invading low life with a lawyer, will make you wish you'd have used an appropriate load for the job at hand. But it's your lesson to learn.

#13 ·
I would vote hogue. I haven't used them on a shotgun yet b/c I prefer a standard stock on all shotguns. That being said I have yet to purchase a product they make and not like it. ATI used to make a grip I really liked called the scorpion but now they have replaced it with "Recoil Reducing" stuff. I am not sure how much that stuff works at reducing recoil, so I would say buyer beware if you are headed that direction.

#15 ·
I'd say to check out the Speed feed stock options, you can get them with or without the pistol grip as part of the stock. You can also store additional shells in the stock. The magpul is another good option as well as the hogue overmold 12" lop stock.

I'll also echo adding a light.

I'll also also echo using something bigger than #6 bird shot. This ammo will leave a nasty, gruesome SHALLOW wound (about 5"-8" in ballistic gel) and may not reach the vitals or CNS. Anything that will penetrate deep enough to easily reach the vitals will go through multiple walls --shotgun pistol or rifle. OO Buck penetrates over 25" in ballistic gel. IMO, there is legit concern for over penetration with OO depending on your circumstances. My Hd shotgun is loaded with Hornady's varmint express #4 buck shot with versa tite wad. This ammo penetrates 11-16 inches in ballistic gel at HD ranges.
Also also also, something to consider, Those 3" magnums are going to produce a lot of felt recoil and increase your follow up shot time.
Good luck, whatever you decide. Hopefully you'll never have to use the shotgun in a defensive scenario.

#16 ·
I don't like a shorter than standard stock, especially on a home defense shotgun. I like one that fits. There is a really good reason that the SWAT team and the military use short stocks. It is because they are wearing thick level 3 body armor. Do you sleep in level 3 body armor? No? Then you would probably be better served by a properly fitted stock rather than one sized for a middle school age boy. But then there are always those who just have to have what the "operators" use. This is why you see guys who live in New England with rifles painted desert tan camo even though the nearest desert is over a thousand miles away.

The objective in home defense is NOT a room to room search. You should take cover at a pre selected choke point like a narrow hall or stair case and let the bad guy come to you, not the other way around. Shotgun length should not really be a factor. BTW, you never see normal sized men using 12" LOP stocks on the skeet range or the hunting field where the objective is to hit the target.

#17 ·
PLEASE listen to the advice of Road Man. Hogue or Magpul are the only two choices that will work on a 590A1 if you really need to to save a life and not just to show all your friends. As big a fan as I am about PG stocks like the Urbino, they just do not work on the Mossberg. The position of the safety makes a big difference.

If I can add one more point, the Mossberg safety should also be upgraded to a safety with a rim on it for easier use when you have lost all fine motor skills. I hate oversize safeties because they do not solve anything other than hurting your finger even more. I like the extended safety.

In my mind, the best setup for a serious 590A1 is a Magpul stock, XS Big Dot sight, extended safety and two cases of shells to practice with.

#18 ·
Throw me in with the magpul stocks. Ugly as sin, but have a great feature set, adjustable LOP, comb options, and ability to take QD cups.

Only issue is that you may need to do a bit of fitting to be able to remove the trigger group without loosening the stock bolt. And last i checked, the QD cups you need weren't exactly cheap. Fortunately there are footmans loops on either side.

Its a sturdy stock, and its got a bit of weight to it, unlike the houge. I've also found the toe of the houges butt pad loves to get "caught" on my shirt, so i can't just lower the gun, I have to sort of push it out.

#19 ·
I just built a HD shotgun from an older WesternField 550ABD (rebadged Mossberg 500 for Montgomery Wards). I chose the Magpul SGA stock and forend. IMO, you really need a shorter stock for a HD shotgun because your stance is more squared to the target than when wingshooting. The shorter Hogue stock and the Mossberg bantam stocks are other options, but the Magpul stock lets you adjust the length in 1/2" increments.

#21 ·
Squared off has a few advantages. The first one, though not as applicable for most here, a squared up stance presents the bulk of your body armor to your opponent, a bladed stance exposes the gaps in the armor under the arms. More practical for most of those here is with a squared stance, you can easily traverse the weapon 180 degrees left to right in fron of you. In a bladed stance, traversing to your non-gun side is akward and difficult. Also, in a bladed stance, moving your feet properly (step drag rather that crossing feet over each other) left and right is much easier. Recoil management is also easier when you are squared to the target with a proper stance: feet shoulder width apart, bent at your knees with your shoulders in front of hips and weight on the balls of your feet.

#24 ·
uplanddan said:
Recommended "der tacticool der stock".... Use the stock that came with the shotgun.
Exactly my point! If you are not wearing body armor you do not need a short "tactical" stock. You need one that fits. In extremely close quarters (10 feet or less) you can tuck the stock under your arm for an even shorter length and better retention.

#25 ·
If you're carrying plates... Okay... Full combat load out... Okay...

But in that case, you'll use the weapon you're assigned. Period.

If you wanna look "Kool"... Then idk...

Civilians and whatever gear they wanna run seems pretty cool to me...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.