ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tactical/Home defense Course Questions and Reviews.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:49 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Blackwater is a great place.
Briar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:00 pm 
Limited Edition

Does any one know about any home defense, tactical, or other "specialized" courses (for shotguns or otherwise; pistols would be cool too) near central California? I've wanted to take some classes, but I have yet to find any that people are putting one.
The spam Republic of California keeps businesses with guns griping around. I have some friends in Texas and Kentucky who have taken some really cool sounding courses.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

Visit www.frontsight.com. I can not say enough good things about their course. After 8 years in the military, I thought I knew a thing or two. Boy was I wrong. They took me from an average shooter, to a bad a$$ in four days. Of course, real life got in the way of practice and I suck again...but another trip to Front Sight near Las Vegas, NV will cure that!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

JonC,

Gunsite is a great place for handgun training and an equally great place for shotgun training. I took the Gunsite 260 in March. The 260 is a five days tactical shotgun class.

I've taken a fair amount of training at Gunsite and elsewhere but the 260 is quite possibly the best class I've taken. I strongly recommend you take your Benelli back to Arizona and let Gunsite show you how it's done.

Note, the five day class includes a night shoot and multiple runs through indoor and outdoor simulators as well as ample time on the square range.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:16 pm 
Field Grade

Just took the tactical shotgun class at TDI (Tactical Defense Institute) in southern ohio. John Benner is the owner of the facility. We had a class of 20 and there were 5 instructors in total. We ran drills for reloading, point accuracy, weaving... the works. Second day was obstacle courses and household situations in which a tactical shotgun could be used. The staff was very flexible in how they taught and adapted their teachings to each student as needed. They simply gave instruction on what to do and what you decided to do with that knowledge was up to you. In a way I could say I learned more this way than a rigorous drill in the head.

The price was $300 for 2 days and from my research, it is one of the more affordable classes i have come across. 300 rounds of birdshot, 16 slugs, and 30 rounds of buck shot were needed. Could have easily used 100 more birdshot.

The course has left me with a different outlook on law enforcement and what our military does. My hat goes off to these fine people now even more. I will be going next year if I can afford it :)

Sport Clays 5

Post subject: re: Tactical/Home defense Course Questions and Reviews.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:41 am 
Utility Grade

+1 for Front Sight
I've taken 2 & 4 day tactical plus the 4-day advanced tactical shotgun courses
A lot of fun I learned a lot and shot a ton
Great courses and instructors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:14 pm 
Utility Grade

are the courses civilian or LE only? and are there any schools worthwhile within 5 hrs of PHilly, PA???
thanks guys.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:57 pm 
Limited Edition

Sure! Gunsight, TX or Frontsight, NV

Of course, you didn't specify 5 hours by car or plane 8). Sorry, don't know much in PA.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:30 pm 
Limited Edition

I just returned from a 2 day tactical shotgun course at Frontsight in Nevada. The instructors were good at keeping things moving, so no one was bored, while at the same time giving individual instruction to anyone who was falling behind or who asked for individual attention on a specific drill. The 2 day course is designed to emphasize the fundamentals, but also to teach how to improve on or increase your speed on those fundamentals.

We practiced magazine tube loading and ejection port loading while keeping your eyes on the target. We also praticed engaging a target from the ready, high ready, and field ready positions. We also practiced tactical reloads and select slug drills, as well as clearing malfunctions: failure to fire, failure to eject, and feedway stoppages. We also practiced presenting the weapon from a sling from the firing side muzzle up position and the support side muzzle down position.

Most of the course was shot on mulitiple steel targets and we practiced timed drills engaging one, two, three, and four targets at a time from various distance with birdshot, buckshot, or slugs depending how close we were to the target. We also spent time patterning as well as shooting slugs from 40 yards to give people a chance to zero in their sights. One of our drills involved shooting a sillouhette target with a hostage in front of two hostage takers that had only one half of each of their heads exposed. The goal was to find out where you had to aim to get maximum pellets in the bad guys head without any pellets hitting the hostage.

Each day started at 8am and ended at 5:30pm with 8 hours spent either doing dry practice maipulation drills or live shooting drills. After each drill we were required to do after action drills: move from your position and quick check the immediate area for threats, refocus on your target for a final check, slow scan of your surroundings, then reload and chamber check while keeping your eyes off your weapon. As we moved through the drills, timers were used to encourage improving speed. We practiced shooting from standing, kneeling, and prone. We also did an individual "tactical canyon run" where we engaged approximately 10 steel targets (9 bad guys and a hostage) while moving downward along a wash into a canyon. Some targets needed to be engaged with slugs and some with buck shot. Some were 20 yards out, some were 12 feet up the side of the canyon, and some obscured by boulders or brush. The instructor put lots of pressure on us to get our heartrate and breathing up during this drill. Everyone would have died by the end of the drill but that was the point.

The mantra of Frontsight is to leave knowing how much you do not know. That is your motivation to learn. You arrive thinking you know a little and leave realizing you know very little and need lots of practice. The instructors were great and showed up 30 minutes early each day to practice dry fire manipulation drills with anyone that wanted individual attention. I plan on returning for the 4 day course which includes entry drills, night and low light scenarios, and tactical simulators.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:13 pm 
Field Grade

Hey, I can shoot a gun alright, I just want to look for some tactical training courses for the beginer, just to do it (duh).

I'm in the South Eastern PA area, any information would be appreciated.

Oh, looking for shotgun primarly as well.

Post subject: Re: re: Tactical/Home defense Course Questions and Reviews.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:41 am 
Utility Grade

Paul_D wrote:
I'm in the South Eastern PA area, any information would be appreciated.
Oh, looking for shotgun primarly as well.

I'm also looking for a shotgun class in Eastern PA. On the web I found this: http://www.f-r-i.com/shotgun.htm
What do you guys think is it worth the $260 :?:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:33 pm 
Limited Edition

A couple weekends ago, a friend of mine, my Dad, and myself took a pilgrimage to Free America! We left the spam Republic of California and found ourselves in a little known town called Pahrump, Nevada. This city is known for two very distinct things. First it is known as the Brothel Capitol, boasting the oldest brothels in the United States, but that is not why were in such a secluded place, quite literally in the middle of nowhere. We came for the world famous firearms training at Front Sight Nevada.

Front Sight teaches from the most basic level of firing a handgun and self defense to the other end of the spectrum of hostage-situation window entries and extractions (think Jack Bauer and James Bond). They pride themselves in the best public training in handguns, precision rifles, automatic rifles, submachine guns, and shotguns in the world. We went there to learn in their "basic" class and left with full knowledge how to quick-draw, shoot a man with two in the chest and one in the head in less than 1.5 seconds, clear any type of malfunction by reflex, enter and clear a building, handle immediately-conclusive hostage situations, and ultimately handle our handguns with greater ability than 99% of the gun owning population, including law enforcement and military.

The four days we spent at Front Sight was more than just range time and putting holes in paper targets. We had classroom time which covered anything from guns and gun accessories to the lawful and ethical issues with owning and using a firearm in a self-defense situation. This "beginners" class that we were attending delved into even the most advance moral and tactical decision we may encounter in a real-life situation, and the training and explanation of all of it was top notch!

I recommend this course to anyone and everyone who owns a firearm and is looking for the next level of experience and understanding. This establishment can improve anyone's competence and confidence as well at their skill. In our class of 35 there were at least ten LEO and military persons and many other people who were there to learn how to protection themselves, loved ones and those around them. No one walked away complaining they didn't learn enough or it wasn't challenging enough. Everyone who is looking to get a Concealed Weapon Carry Permit (CWP) should attend this class for the knowledge and the training they offer. My father who has never been "pro-gun" is now in the process of getting his CCW!

We took photos of a very small portion of the range time we had at Front Sight. The targets you see can rotate to a no-shoot position. The range masters did exercises which emphasize the decision to shoot or not shoot at certain points (for example after a reload or after a malfunction clearing) and even simulated situations in which there was a failure-to-stop (after a man has been shot in the chest and their drug-induced rage continues or they were wearing body armor). To view the photos click here (there are more than just our Front Sight pictures, if you end up seeing women shooting, you’ve gone too far).

After Front Sight one of the nights we went into Las Vegas and went to a gun range (like we hadn’t already had enough shooting). We rented a couple kinds of fully-automatic MP5s and an AK-47. We experienced what we could not here in California. We have a video of our range experience here. The last gun you see us firing had (according to the people at the range) the worst recoil out of any firearm they had on the wall (and they had hundreds), so they let us try it out. If you don't value your hands (or possibly your face if it flies out of your hands) it's a great gun!

After all was said and done at Front Sight, I have purchased a lifetime membership and am heading back very soon to try out their rifle and shotgun courses!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:41 pm 
Limited Edition

Because there are no schools, etc. in my area, (I live in Hooterville), does anyone have any recommendations for a video that teaches basic defense techniques that I could watch, then go to a range (we DO have one of those here in Hooterville!) and practice? I know this is not the best method of learning, but it seems to me that its better than nothing at all, which is pretty much what I've got now.

thanks!
Chance {CR8 ^77

Last edited by Chance on Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have said it before, and I will say it again...Front Sight Firearms Institute located just outside of Las Vegas, Nevada is amazing.

I have a pretty impressive background compared to the average joe...but until I started taking classes from Front Sight I had no clue just how much I didn't know.

Check out their website for course descriptions and dates and prices...

http://www.frontsight.com!

Just a side note: If it is your first time taking a class you can pick-up a certificate on eBay for a fraction of the cost. So don't let the dollar signs scare you off.

Once you've taken a class you'll know they are well worth the price tag!!![/url]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Chance wrote:
Because there are no schools, etc. in my area, (I live in Hooterville), does anyone have any recommendations for a video that teaches basic defense techniques that I could watch, then go to a range (we DO have one of those here in Hooterville!) and practice? I know this is not the best method of learning, but it seems to me that its better than nothing at all, which is pretty much what I've got now.

thanks!
Chance {CR8 ^77

Chance,

Both Defensive Edge and Tactical Response hit the Reedsburg area fairly often. DE is based out of Minneapolis, and also runs classes in Milwaukee.

Matter of fact, there is a class coming up this spring near Milwaukee for basic pistol/long gun.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:31 am 
Field Grade

I'm in Central New York.

How would folks here compare/contrast Defense Associates with Sigarms Academy?

Thanks,
MWA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

Most of these courses are so expensive.Its hard for me to shell out over $700 for 3 days of instruction. I realisticly can't afford it . I know alot of you are going to say" What is your life worth" I've heard that implied to the cost of guns to. Guese my shotgun come in handy while i'm living in a cardboard box......

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

870_gunman wrote:
Most of these courses are so expensive.Its hard for me to shell out over $700 for 3 days of instruction. I realisticly can't afford it . I know alot of you are going to say" What is your life worth" I've heard that implied to the cost of guns to. Guese my shotgun come in handy while i'm living in a cardboard box......

Operative word in red. It is a mischaracterization, unless you are talking about Gunsite/Frontsight and a few others.

There are many multiple-day courses that are ~$400 tuition, are provided by excellent instructors, and that are held at different ranges across the country (keeping your travel/lodging cost down).

Here are just a few, and these are the ones off the top of my head (I am an alumnus, or I train with the alumni of these schools), and in no particular order:

LMS Defense, Home Defense class (2 Days, $400, 500 rnds ammo)

Defensive Edge, Utrban Tactics (2 Days, $350, 750 pisto1, 100 SG rounds)

Defensive Edge, Tactical Shotgun (1 Day, $150, 200 Bird, 20 Buck 10 Slugs)

Tactical Response, Fighting Shotgun (2 Days, $400, 1k Bird, 25 Buck, 20 Slug, 250 pisto1)

Gabe Suarez, Shotgun Gunfighting (2 Days, $350, 100 Bird, 50 Buck, 15 Slug, 50 Pisto1)

That last one is probably within a few hours drive (North/Central VA).

Instead of spending $500+ on that new gun, doesn't it make sense to learn to use the one you've got?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

"That new gun" is the only shotgun i own right now.lol Got to have it to learn more with it . Due to factors beyond my control I went through some hard times and had to sell all of the guns I had owned. I'm no virgin to firearms. While Ive not attended any of these schools I know wich end of the shotgun to point at anything I choose to shoot. Does that mean I'm againts training? No I'm not, Learning to do anything better is definatly a good thing. But ALOT of people take these classes just because its "cool". Good for them, I hope they learn as much as possible. Its just that some of these places get such a big name, rightly deserved or not, that they charge an outrageous price. I mean with travel cost and everything, plus you provide your own ammo (wich IS a good thing) the costs adds up quick. Not trying to bash training, its just alot of people cant afford it. Thankyou for the info on the classes you posted, some of those i may can afford :D . -P.S. my bro in law just took a job in kinston north carolina wich isn't very far from blackwater. I'd love to go there but thyre costly .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

Decided to post again after looking thru those courses. The tactical response class looks good. Looks like the most bang for the $$$. Plus I've seen good reviews of them in magazines like SWAT,GUNS, ect. If you use over 1000 rds of shotgun ammo, they must really focus on trigger time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next