ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The ultimate tactical shotgun?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:20 am 
Diamond Grade

LOAC, we got drilled about Geneva as it relates to treatment of POW's non coms ect.
The Hague is where the dumdum bullets got labeled unsporting, and various other bits.
Every country pretty much still goes out of their way to find loop holes regardless.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Bob9863 wrote:
It was what we were taught, something about the Hague convention or something like that.

My standard sourcing for "The Laws Of War", and such,, is "The Avalon Project" hosted by Yale Law School.

https://avalon.law.yale.edu/

They have a HUGE library, searchable, of ancient documents all the way back to 4,000BC

The various Hague Conventions, from 1856 to 1899, are here:
https://avalon.law.yale.edu/subject_menus/lawwar.asp

Hague II, Laws And Customs Of War On Land

The following seems to be a part EVERYONE loves to roundly ignore:
Quote:
Article 2
The provisions contained in the Regulations mentioned in Article 1 are only binding on the Contracting Powers, in case of war between two or more of them.

These provisions shall cease to be binding from the time when, in a war between Contracting Powers, a non-Contracting Power joins one of the belligerents

SECTION II. -- ON HOSTILITIES
CHAPTER I. -- On means of injuring the Enemy, Sieges, and Bombardments

Articles 22 through 28, the entire chapter, say nothing regarding bayonets. Not a single word.

Hague IV, 1907.
CHAPTER I
Means of Injuring the Enemy,
Sieges, and bombardments

Again, Articles 22-28, not a word of Bayonets.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

I looked into it a little closer, it seems to be commonwealth specific. I'd never really looked into it before, the real reason it appears is it makes a more traumatic wound and gets around the Hague convention.
We probably got told that story to get around the fact that they were actually trying to skirt the convention.

The convention only talks about triangular, saw tooth and barbed bayonets.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:16 am 
Crown Grade

Interestingly, 2 things...........

A wound, torn open by a dull object, is much harder to surgically treat than a clean cut wound, even if the cut wound is larger.

The bayonet on my Mosin Nagant M44 Carbine (I fondly refer to as the Bolshevik Sticker), which doubles as a Rifle Stand, is a very dull (not a single edge that is even available to be sharpened), essentially triangular, ragged foot-long hole-maker.

Think of a triangle, now grind the points off at least 25% down, and then grind a Blood Groove down the center of each remaining flat face.
The grind the "point" down into a basically 1/4" wide chisel, from 1 flat to the opposing groove.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:47 pm 
Field Grade

Nice old Ithaca,